So... S10 looks to be an amazing phone

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I have to admit it's a nice phone. I got to play with it and pretty much felt like the s8 and 9. The fingerprint scanner was quick. They went all out in every category. They raised the baseline storage to 128gb. Atmos sound. HDR10+ capable. RAM is up. Swallowed their pride on mapping that bixby button. There's not much more you can ask for hardware wise. Let's hope the software holds up.

Notification led is gone
Iris scanner is being replaced with less secure alternative
Fingerprint scanner is back to the front of the screen again

I think that there are a few hardware things that I could ask for.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I have a Mate 20 pro and was convinced I would pre-order the S10/10+ but now it is available I am on the fence.

I'm surprised nobody is talking about the camera more. Unless I have been misinformed the main camera is the same as the S9/Note 9 so unless Samsung have gone all-in on AI then the picture quality will still lag behind last years Mate and Pixel

Face ID - I am not sad to see the iris scanning go but I am disappointed that we only have basic 2D face unlock. With this in mind I cannot see the point of the bigger cutout on the plus.

The position of the cutout I think makes the status bar really quite thick, not sure if this means less usable screen? I'm not sure but my gut feeling is it will and that a tear drop notch is probably a better use of space.

So I'm loving the look of the ceramic (wish it was available on the smaller S10) but also looking at the Mate 20 pro and thinking it is better still many areas, I just wish it had a proper always on display!

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I know a lot of people don't like the cutout. But according to studies done the human eye tends to always look left when reading. I read this years ago. Hope to find a link.

I actually like the placement of it as the right side isn't much of a bother. At least to me.

I actually prefer the usual setup, since system information is on the right and notifications are on the left.

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Yes. I ditched the LG G4 and V10 for the S7 Edge. I was not a fan of it then and it really isn't that convenient.

Its a lot more convenient. You mentioned you have to pick up the phone to use the fps on the rear. Now you don't. I had it on my Mate 10 Pro. I prefer the rear over the front for looks only but the front is way more convenient.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Its a lot more convenient. You mentioned you have to pick up the phone to use the fps on the rear. Now you don't. I had it on my Mate 10 Pro. I prefer the rear over the front for looks only but the front is way more convenient.

Except that I typically pick up my phone when I use it, so it is the more natural way to use it. Thankfully, I primarily use my phones with two hands, thanks to the S7E.

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Worth upgrading just because of the battery capacity increase, RAM increase and the processor speed increase. The camera, storage, and screen size are just luxury items to me.

Unless your current phone is slow, you'll probably not see a huge difference in speed even with that new processor tbh