So, uh, this phone apparently cant send MMS.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
if you think about it, when you send an mms, the data used is payed for by your mms allowance/charge so thats why it wants to use mobile data (which the carrier owns) but its daft that android doesnt realise this and just switch to mobile data for a few seconds even if wifi is on...
they should really make a tiny patch for that. il try it with JB later...

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I've never had an issue with the stock app and if my file was you big, it automatically compressed it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

ladams1221

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I have had my phone for over a month and haven't been able to send MMS in texts, even pictures taken with the lowest resolution on my camera (what's the point?). I finally turned off WiFi, and made sure Mobile Networks was enabled, and it worked like a charm, even sending pix taken at the highest resolution (they were compressed before sending). They took a while going through, but they finally went - no more "Message Failed" messages! Hooray! Hope this helps someone else who is as frustrated with this great device as I was.

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Agreed its not a Samsung problem, but its not a carrier problem either - apparently its an Android problem. When MMS WILL work over your carrier connection, but WON'T work over a WiFi connection, its hard to say its a carrier problem!

Well, it really IS carrier related. Do a search for "google voice mms" and you'll see this problem isn't limited to phones--Google Voice has trouble with MMS to/from some carriers especially ATT. I'll attempt a recap of my understanding. Apparently when you send an MMS the non-text portion is stored on a carrier mms server and the text is sent via SMS that includes a special link to the data on the server so the data portion can be merged into the received message. The problem is the server is accessed differently for internal network vrs public Internet i.e. WiFi. Some carriers have not changed their permissions (?) to allow access other than their own network. Sprint made changes specifically to support Google Voice MMS and a side effect is to allow Sprint users to send/receive MMS via wifi/Internet. Virgin Mobile uses the same servers so VM users can also. Other carriers may have too but AT&T has not--until that happens AT&T users must send/retrieve MMS via the mobile network and Google Voice can't MMS to/from ATT. Now who's at fault on the phone end for not using the mobile network for MMS when wifi is connected...I'd almost say the phone is doing what it's supposed to do--use wifi if available--and that the MMS application should override that and require mobile network, assuming Android provides that function call. One last comment--on ATT although you must have data turned on the data used for MMS does NOT come out of your data plan but is paid on a per-message basis like SMS only 10 cents higher--very noticeable if you don't have unlimited texting.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
iMessage is a non-standard, Apple only service. I'm not an Apple user, but I've been led to believe there may be some account level settings that need to be reset so that you're not still on the iMessage service. Sorry I can't help more. I'd suggest starting a thread with a subject specific to your issue so that other iPhone to Android converts will see it.

Hey fellow former iphone user, I am also having a heck of a time with the messaging app. Mine is constantly freezing and crashing (sigh). I have a feeling the transfer between iPhone and Android is what's causing the issue. Some friends I used to iMessage I can't send texts to with my S3, but others I can...??!? It really makes zero sense (and this may just be coincidence). I tried deleting threads (didn't realize how many threads I had saved on my iPhone that transferred to the S3) but the blasted app is giving me grief even when trying to simply delete something. Anyone have an idea?!?! No, I have not done the factory restore. Frankly, I have had the phone less than three days and should not have to factory restore for just transferring data from old phone to new phone. Seems a wee bit ridiculous to me. Apart from the messaging issues, I LOVE this phone and am very happy to have said good riddance to the iPhone... :eek:)

I just downloaded the GoSMS pro app. hopefully this one wont crash incessantly!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
iMessage is a non-standard, Apple only service. I'm not an Apple user, but I've been led to believe there may be some account level settings that need to be reset so that you're not still on the iMessage service. Sorry I can't help more. I'd suggest starting a thread with a subject specific to your issue so that other iPhone to Android converts will see it.

There is. You have to disable it in your account or it causes all kinds of issues.

Sent from my PMID1000B using Tapatalk HD

Momen Shokeir

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Okay i have a samsung galaxy s3 runing android 4.1.1 i used to beanle to send and recive mms before i upgraded when i was on 4.0.2 but now i cannt send or recive when i try to send it takes forever and sats unable to send and when i recive it shows me a box with the date it expires and a download button if i click itit takes forever nd says unale to download i have tried it on gosms handcent the stock one as well as chomp same result my internet works fine. I tries on both 3g 4g and wifi doesnot work and my sms text work fine
Please help im am ex iphone user and this is my furst android and i love it and this is the only problen ive gad with it and i think the iphonedoes mms better and would like this to work so it can be the perfect phone
Thank you
Please help
All suggestions are helpful no matter how small

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I didn't really read the rest of the 2 pages, just wanted to get my 2 Cents in. I have no issues what so ever sending MMS. And if I did, I would blame my carrier/provider, not the phone or it's manufacture itself.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Whatsapp compression makes images look worse than if you had sent them over mms, plus the Samsung SMS app can send more data types than Whatsapp.

Personally I use Charon and I have seen this mms issue on other AT&T phones like the HTC vivid. Doesn't happen on this device though.

Also had that issue on TMobile windows phone 7.5 device.

Sent from my AT&T Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2.

Kim Szelong

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi there.

I don't know if you have solved this with the original sms application yet but here is the solution that worked for me.

go to: Settings>More Settings>Mobile networks>Access Point names. From here click your menu button and add a new APN.

You will then need to use google for this next part but quite easy. You will need to type APN Android <your country> <your network>. So for example I type APN Android Tesco mobile UK. From there you should get a result which looks something like this:

Name: Tesco UK
APN: prepay.tesco-mobile.com
Proxy: 193.113.200.195
Port: 8080
Username: tescowrap
Password: password
MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.02.uk:8002
MMS: Proxy: 193.113.200.195
MMS: Port: 8080
MCC: 234
MNC: 10
APN: Type: default, supl, mms

If you are on Tesco and living in the UK then no need for google :D Just type this information into their corresponding fields in the new APN.

This should solve your problem. Good Luck

noeliazoe

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem, even on verizon's network. My fix was that in data settings the use of background data was restricted for mms in the native txt messaging and in gosms. Changed the settings and now I can send mms. Hope this helps.

Jimmy Wilson

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
When I send an MMS with my Galaxy S3 it goes through on my end but the person that's receiving the picture cannot see it. Anybody know why this is?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If you have Wi-Fi turned on, turn it off before sending.
Does this happen to a particular contact or to everyone?
Same carrier?
iPhone perhaps?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana