So where's the News & Weather widget?

Luq07

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I like your app, but I wish I could do the following: 1. Add keyword searches for news like on the google widget. 2. Make the background opaque because my current wallpaper makes reading impossible and I like my wallpaper. 3. Add the ability to control the refresh rate. 30 minutes eats up battery. I usually have it set for about 3 hours. Thanks. I bought it by the way and it makes a great Google news widget replacement. For the rest of the readers, the widget isn't scrollable (I hate scrollable widgets and like the passivity of it flashing through the news items).

dnightangel

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Well I believe Google is trying to push you to use currents and with the weather go to your Google now settings and activate weather in notification bar, I find it works better then a widget and with news you got pulse, flip board, news republic and etc as replacements otherwise I guess your only option is to wait for 4.2 and see if they changed anything

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

hgmichna

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Well I believe Google is trying to push you to use currents and with the weather go to your Google now settings and activate weather in notification bar, I find it works better then a widget and with news you got pulse, flip board, news republic and etc as replacements otherwise I guess your only option is to wait for 4.2 and see if they changed anything

Android 4.2 did not change anything.

I just tried the news apps you recommended. They are all good and usable. I did not like Pulse, because it does not allow me to create my own news channels. I did not like Flipboard much because of its weird user interface.

News Republic seemed pretty good and gets my recommendation, although it is still a bloated dinosaur compared to the sleek Google "News & Weather" app. Try it, you may like it.

MaddSkillz

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

Where do you activate weather in the notification bar? I went to the settings of Google Search and just saw permissions.

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Luckily the widget is still available on my GNex but it's PFS that I have to read the news on a phone instead of my N7.

Currents is as much a substitute for N&W as iMaps was for GMaps on the iPhone - pathetic and bloated.

OnTheEdge2

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Google's really pissing me off with the apps they are killing. Lost my most favored news & weather widget when I traded my HTC Evo for a Galaxy S3, then found out they're killing Google Reader, the best RSS app out there. Bastards . . . and I used to love them a bunch.

Anyway, these guys -- Awnry Software -- have nearly nailed a replacement for News & Weather. It may even be a little better, as my old widget did not refresh properly all the time and this one does. It includes ALL the functionality I loved, including the weather graph and customizable news topics. It currently only comes in a free version with some fairly unobtrusive ads at the bottom. After about a week or two of use, I emailed the developer to see what it would cost me to ditch the ads. They don't have a paid version yet, but hopefully soon.

If you still miss this widget/app, I think these guys will brighten your day.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.awnry.android.nawnry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201