[Solved]Notifications malfunctioning (wake up screen)

Sarah Folmer

Aug 22, 2022
Visit site
Hi,

English isn't my native language so I'll try my best to use the correct terms, but please forgive any mistakes.

I've recently upgraded from a galaxy note 8 to a galaxy note 20 ultra. From the beginning I've had trouble with notifications malfunctioning.

The problem is: when my screen is turned off, a notification is able to wake up the screen + unlock the phone, and even (on some occasions) pause the video I was listening to while the screen was turned off. This is not supposed to happen. A notification is only supposed to momentarily wake up the screen to show a pop-up, and then the screen should go back to sleep without unlocking. It has always functioned like that on my Note 8.

My note 20 ultra is fully up-to-date. I have the following settings:
- Notifications are turned on. Details is checked. Hide content is unchecked. Alert notifications only is checked. Show on always on display is automatically checked.
- Lock screen is turned on. Screenlock type is pattern, face. Always on display is checked off (had it checked on for a while, made no difference). Notifications is set to details.
- Smart lock is turned on. On-body detection is turned off. Two trusted locations are turned on. One trusted device is turned on.
- Secure lock settings: auto-lock screen after 30 seconds, or immediately when side button is used.

These are the same settings I used to have on my note 8, but on that device a notification wouldn't completely wake up the screen and unlock the device. It would stay black, and only show the notification bubble for a second or two. I want my note 20 ultra to do the same, because my screen timeout is set to 5 minutes, so it drains my battery if notifications wake up and unlock my phone. Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

Edit: I just accidentally stumbled upon the solution to my problem. In "brief pop-up settings", the option "Show even while screen is turned off" was unchecked. I activated it, and now everything works as it is supposed to.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: Notifications malfunctioning (wake up screen)

Hi,

English isn't my native language so I'll try my best to use the correct terms, but please forgive any mistakes.

I've recently upgraded from a galaxy note 8 to a galaxy note 20 ultra. From the beginning I've had trouble with notifications malfunctioning.

The problem is: when my screen is turned off, a notification is able to wake up the screen + unlock the phone, and even (on some occasions) pause the video I was listening to while the screen was turned off. This is not supposed to happen. A notification is only supposed to momentarily wake up the screen to show a pop-up, and then the screen should go back to sleep without unlocking. It has always functioned like that on my Note 8.

My note 20 ultra is fully up-to-date. I have the following settings:
- Notifications are turned on. Details is checked. Hide content is unchecked. Alert notifications only is checked. Show on always on display is automatically checked.
- Lock screen is turned on. Screenlock type is pattern, face. Always on display is checked off (had it checked on for a while, made no difference). Notifications is set to details.
- Smart lock is turned on. On-body detection is turned off. Two trusted locations are turned on. One trusted device is turned on.
- Secure lock settings: auto-lock screen after 30 seconds, or immediately when side button is used.

These are the same settings I used to have on my note 8, but on that device a notification wouldn't completely wake up the screen and unlock the device. It would stay black, and only show the notification bubble for a second or two. I want my note 20 ultra to do the same, because my screen timeout is set to 5 minutes, so it drains my battery if notifications wake up and unlock my phone. Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

Edit: I just accidentally stumbled upon the solution to my problem. In "brief pop-up settings", the option "Show even while screen is turned off" was unchecked. I activated it, and now everything works as it is supposed to.
Welcome to AC!
Glad you figured it out , yeah under notifications there are many places to check between there and lock screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze