[Solved]When trying to print, I receive the message "Failed to change settings. Try again."

Oct 9, 2020
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy s9. I have been printing from it to my wireless Brother printer for about six months now without incident. Yesterday when trying to print, I got the error message "Failed to change settings. Try again", and my document would not print. I have the iPrintScan app, but uninstalled it and I still cannot print and the error message is the same. I have not changed any settings or done anything different when attempting to print.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: When trying to print, I receive the message "Failed to change settings. Try again."

Welcome to Android Central! Is it a notification in the status bar, or a toast notification in the middle of the screen? If it's a toast, use Toast Source to figure out which app is giving you the error.

Oct 9, 2020
Visit site
Re: When trying to print, I receive the message "Failed to change settings. Try again."

As the message I receive when trying to print appears in the middle of the screen, I took your advice and installed Toast Source. Following instructions I found, I set the app to log all toasts and save them. Even though I have tried to print several times and still receive the same error message, I have checked Toast Source and it shows no toasts have been captured.

LRL

Nov 12, 2016
Visit site

Yes I am having the same problem (refer to my post), right after the Apps were updated. You have different printer and both having same problem, so an android/ Gmail issue.

LRL

Nov 12, 2016
Visit site

I tried your suggestion it did not work. I have screen shots but no way to attach here

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

If you're using the Android Central app, I don't think you can attach a screenshot to a reply. Use the desktop forum site in your browser instead.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

[Moved this to s9 Forums for specific traffic]

Cindico

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site

What is the link to this problem in the S9 Forum?

New to using Android Central.
Just starting having the same issue when printing today.
"Failed to change Setting"
When trying to print from Note 9 within Gmail.
Tks!

LRL

Nov 12, 2016
Visit site

Cindico
I found a solution. You must "Uninstall" the Android Web Viewer App. Disable did not work, the Gmail would not stay open. I sent a complaint to the Developer...not that it fixes the bug. It will not effect anything. Hope helps! LRL

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Cindico
I found a solution. You must "Uninstall" the Android Web Viewer App. Disable did not work, the Gmail would not stay open. I sent a complaint to the Developer...not that it fixes the bug. It will not effect anything. Hope helps! LRL

That's good to know! But I think you mean Android System Webview, right? Every so often, an update to Android System Webview can cause various issues with only certain devices. The temporary solution is to uninstall all updates (it's a system app, so you can't completely uninstall it, nor would you want to), and send feedback to Google. The next time an update to Android System Webview comes out, you can then try updating it and see if the problem comes back.

Since I've seen this mentioned on older devices as well, keep in mind that in devices with Android 7 through 9, Chrome takes the place of Android System Webview, so you'd have to uninstall all updates to Chrome instead of Android System Webview.

Cindico

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site

Android Sysyem Webview, Disabling and uninstalling updates corected my printing problem today. Thank you folks!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Android Sysyem Webview, Disabling and uninstalling updates corected my printing problem today. Thank you folks!
This will help lot of people having this issue.

LRL

Nov 12, 2016
Visit site

Yes thank you I did mean "Android System Web View", sorry for that name error.
If you go to the Play
Store, you can uninstall this app, at least on the S10plus. When I first tried to disable, it did not help. As I said, I would open Gmail and it would close immediately. That was my experience. A few years ago w S7, and the a Android System Web View update, also disrupted printing in Gmail, with different error message. At that time I disabled and Gmail printing was fixed. This time had to un-install via Play Store.