Sony Xperia Z2 vs Samsung Galaxy S5

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Well if the S5 and M8 could perform apps well after 2-3 years, I see no reason why the Z2 can't. I mean they all use a quallcomm snapdragon 8. Something. Their ram is similar too, basically the specs are mostly similar between the 3 phones.

The noise cancelling earphones I haven't tried due to no need of it (I use bluetooth earphones), but based on other's review it blocks all ambient noise. Ask Duncan for clarification, since he uses it

Sent from my Xperia Z2

The Z2 is a strong performer and has the following specs which I'm sure you have read..

Snapdragon 801 clocked at 2.3ghz

Andreno 330 Gpu

And 3gb of Ram

16gb internal, expandable upto 128gb

So yes it will keep up with the latest games and usability, it's smooth and fast due to the light Ui.

I'm not a big gamer so can't comment but I'm sure it's fine.

The noise cancelling headphones are superb and provide a balanced sound while blocking out 80% of noise.

It's upto you to determine what best suites.

But the Z2 is not lacking or struggling to match the S5 or M8.

Posted via Android Central App

SwiftHax

May 25, 2014
Visit site
It's true, but their screen sizes are different, so it's still up to the developers to optimize them, right? How about Sony's previous flagships? last one I know is Xperia Z.

And about the onecreen buttons, can they be toggled to dissappear when watching videos and movies on the phone?

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
It's true, but their screen sizes are different, so it's still up to the developers to optimize them, right? How about Sony's previous flagships? last one I know is Xperia Z.

And about the onecreen buttons, can they be toggled to dissappear when watching videos and movies on the phone?

The onscreen buttons are great and they automatically disappear when watching videos. It's only. 1 of an inch bigger than the S5 and. 2 over the M8 so all should be sweet and dandy.

I would say go for the Z2 over the S5 or M8.

But as the saying goes the choice is yours.

thatdennis

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site

Ok I have never heard of a game nor downloaded any that is for a specific device or screen size. If the devs want money, they would make it compatible across all devices and tablets correct? So no need to worry about screen size.

The last Sony phone, the Xperia Z1s earned itself as the best 4" phone (I think it's 4 inch)

Onscreen buttons no need to worry. Sony thought of that and made it that once you play a game or watch a movie, it either dissappears or fade out into small dots. If playing an intensive game like Dead Trigger 2, the onscreen buttons will simply dissappear, and to activate it again slide up, it will reappear again. Onscreen buttons are non intrusive, so chill

Sent from my Xperia Z2

SwiftHax

May 25, 2014
Visit site
What I meant was that all phones have different screen sizes, so it's up to devs to optimize their games for them, but I don't think they will turn their backs on Z2 like that.

One of my friends just got a Nexus 5 and the onscreen buttons are rather beautiful as well as the stock android itself, but I think Nexus is kind of an underdog specs-wise and Sony's phone is waterproof and has an SD slot which is kind of a big deal to me. It would be awesome if manufacturers could simply offer us two options: one being their custom UI and the other being stock android.

I'm strongly thinking about Z2 now, but still I have to try it out before deciding.

btw, Duncan, how are those earplugs that come with Z2?

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
What I meant was that all phones have different screen sizes, so it's up to devs to optimize their games for them, but I don't think they will turn their backs on Z2 like that.

One of my friends just got a Nexus 5 and the onscreen buttons are rather beautiful as well as the stock android itself, but I think Nexus is kind of an underdog specs-wise and Sony's phone is waterproof and has an SD slot which is kind of a big deal to me. It would be awesome if manufacturers could simply offer us two options: one being their custom UI and the other being stock android.

I'm strongly thinking about Z2 now, but still I have to try it out before deciding.

btw, Duncan, how are those earplugs that come with Z2?

The Noise cancelling ear buds provide a clear and balanced sound and do a great job at blocking out background noise.

Overall the music is crisp and clear with nice lows :)

SwiftHax

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, that really helped.

By the way, is there a specific time frame after which the manufacturer stops updating their device with the latest Android?

sdc1

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I have a nice pair of Sennheiser earbuds that have now been retired as I prefer the Sony ones that came with my Z2. They're excellent.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I have a nice pair of Sennheiser earbuds that have now been retired as I prefer the Sony ones that came with my Z2. They're excellent.

Wow that is speaking volumes for the Sony earbuds as Sennhieiser is a quality brand.

But I agree as I have a pair of Jvc earbuds that are great in volume but no where near the quality of the Sony Earbuds.

A very balanced sound and music sounds so good :)

Mrluky

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
your biggest problem with the sony will be the size
I just sold my iPhone 4S (ugh) a couple of days ago and I'm in the market for a new phone. Apple is out of the question, so I decided to dwelve into the Android market and came out with a couple of choices: Sony's Xperia Z2 and Samsung's Galaxy S5 and so I joined the forum looking for advice from the users.

Ok, this is what I'm looking for in a phone:

Decent specs to run today's most demanding games and apps smoothly

A phone that could last 2-3 years without becoming very outdated being able to run the latest apps and games and have an up to date Android firmware.

The one devs favour in terms of optimization.

Those were pretty much all my needs. Looking back at S5, it only has 2 gigs of RAM which is kind of petty because it's the same as the two-year old S3, but is it a huge difference between Z2's 3GB? Do you notice the lack of RAM when using your S5? Also, how are the onscreen buttons of Z2? Are they comfortable to use because that is my biggest problem with Z2.

Thanks for taking your time and posting your opinions :)

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
5-5.3" is my limit, any bigger and it's pushing it.

I personally don't have any problems handling both S5 & Z2.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
It all depends on YOUR taste and how you are going to use the device. I think the Xperia Z2 is a really sharp looking device and is about as "future proof" as any other flagship device. Pick a device and use it for the 30 days you are allowed to. If you don't like what you picked...take it back and get the other...piece of cake! You hear so much about Samsung's newest flagship device because of the huge amount of money they pour into marketing.

SwiftHax

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Agree, if you don't like the size then it's a bit hard. Yet if you, like me, like big screens to watch movies and play games, it wouldn't be much of a hindrance.

Sent from my Xperia Z2
I have no problems with bigger screens, so I think I'll be fine. Watching Youtube on an iPhone was really bothering.

It's true that Samsung spends tons of money on advertising and since they're around the same price I think I'm getting more bang for my buck with Sony. Also, as I asked already: does Sony keep their phones with an up to date android firmware? For how long?

thatdennis

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I have no problems with bigger screens, so I think I'll be fine. Watching Youtube on an iPhone was really bothering.

It's true that Samsung spends tons of money on advertising and since they're around the same price I think I'm getting more bang for my buck with Sony. Also, as I asked already: does Sony keep their phones with an up to date android firmware? For how long?

Yes they will, for about 3-4 year I predict, could be more but definitely not less. Since Sony is a top contender in the smartphone business, the logical step to keep competing with other companies is to keep their devices up to date. Sony has an app called Update Centre that checks for updates. So if there's an update, all recent Sony phones will get it (the app is pre-installed).

Also after the new makeover, Sony is super competitive so it's good for us customers. Well there's always the root option for older phones to get android update, though I myself am scared to do it.
Sent from my Xperia Z2

SwiftHax

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Well, if Sony is going to support the phone for over 3 years I think rooting it for the latest firmware seems like squeezing the last juice out of the phone because it will be fairly outdated by then and you'd be making the phone run the same OS as devices that are twice as powerful.

How quick are Sony with their updates? Once the newest android is released on the Nexus or whatever, are Sony swift to bring it to their devices?

Shawn_S

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Can someone post the model number of the headphones that come with the Z2? Are they available retail or are they Z2 exclusive?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Can someone post the model number of the headphones that come with the Z2? Are they available retail or are they Z2 exclusive?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

The Noise cancelling headphones are MDR-NC31EM and I'm pretty sure you can purchase them, if they are not included in your retail pack.

sciagent

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm seriously torn between the two phones
There are few moments to consider, let me start from the least important:

1. Prestige. There are cars (VW, Opel, even Lada), and premium class cars (Audi, Volvo, MB, BMW). Most of the people buy cars, but some value premium brands. A number of first ones is much greater than a number of second ones. In case of Samsung, they always used to have an aggressive marketing - and that brings results. Most people do not check very carefully all the details. But some do. Surprisingly, a price tag of both S5, and Z2 is similar. Great. Because... It's a Sony!

2. Ecosystem. Now it is not about Google one, which is great one, but about companies' ecosystems. Samsung has something like that. But sorry... I never used that and always hated their bloatware. Sony offers a list of useful applications and services, including Play Memories with unlimited storage for pictures and videos, Walkman, Lifelog, and few applications that help you to operate Sony TVs, receivers, media-centers, and other home electronics. And the beauty is - you do not need to install them, and you can always remove them. This is not a case with Samsung phones.

3. Quality. My experience with Sony product is longer than a quarter of century, and with Samsung products is even a bit longer. During this time I have never experienced any problems with Sony products (I own many of them, and often recommend to others), and barely heard someone did. But I have experienced many problems with Samsung products, and continue to hear of those from all around. Almost all Samsung (including S4) phones that our university bought for our staff, had to be fixed within first 0,5-1,5 years. Quality build of Z2 is not only for beauty. A solid contraction that you cannot bend and twist, ensure that you will not have any problems with electronics - those that may be caused by micro-cracks and short-circuits.

4. Technical excellence. 200 extra MHz of the same chip that S5 has cannot compete with extra 1 GB RAM (3 in Z2 versus 2 in S5) that Z2 has (50% more!). An overclocked CPU brings some benefits (not much though, as it is overclocked just about 8,7%), but also is a faster battery withdrawal. Therefore, Z2 is a better bet to the future. Speaking of batteries, Sony is well known of making the quality ones. Those that I use with my Sony video cameras, for example, last longer than obsolescences of those camers (which are longer than 5 years in my case) Speaking of Z2 camera, only Lumia 1020 can compete with Z2 at these days IMHO.

Last edited: