blueyzfr6

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
A stupid question. What's the big deal with Spotify??? OK I can listen to my music on my phone. I have a 32GIG card, I don't think I know 32gig worth of music

Figure 32GIG would be 7,000 songs x3 minutes = 21,000 minutes /60 minutes =350 hours/24= 14.5 days without listening to the same song.

Can you download music with Spotify, like Napster, Limewire etc...

If so that's pretty cool

piaband

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
A stupid question. What's the big deal with Spotify??? OK I can listen to my music on my phone. I have a 32GIG card, I don't think I know 32gig worth of music

Figure 32GIG would be 7,000 songs x3 minutes = 21,000 minutes /60 minutes =350 hours/24= 14.5 days without listening to the same song.

If so that's pretty cool

I tried spotify and hated it. Not the premium version but why can you stream music on desktop only?

Pandora is my go to app for music

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

If so that's pretty cool

it is similar to Napster, it's a cloud music service, you can get just about any song from Spotify, but you don't own the song, think of it like paying $10 to borrow the song, kinda like paying $8/mo to stream netflix. Of course, with Napster, you can also buy songs, I don't think you can do that with Spotify.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I tried spotify and hated it. Not the premium version but why can you stream music on desktop only?

Pandora is my go to app for music

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

the free version allows streaming on desktop only. the premium version allows streaming on mobile.

blueyzfr6

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
What's the advantage over Pandora, TuneIn Radio etc... If I wanna listen to a specific song I just go to Youtube and watch the video.

Mordecaidrake

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
What's the advantage over Pandora, TuneIn Radio etc... If I wanna listen to a specific song I just go to Youtube and watch the video.

Spotify you can pick what song you want to listen to, kinda like Grooveshark(but not illegal). Where as with Pandora you select a song and it builds playlists based off that song/artist you cant pick exactly what song you want to listen too.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Spotify gives you the control over your music, similar to an mp3 player. It allows you to make playlists of specific songs that you want, and you can choose any song from the playlist. TuneIn is strictly a radio, you can't choose a song. Pandors allows you to customize to a certain degree, but it's like tailoring a radio station, not really like using an mp3 player.

of course, if everytime you want to listen to a song, you open youtube to watch the video, then for you, there would not be much of a need for Spotify. It is more for people who make playlists and don't want to search for a song on Youtube, and just want a set playlist similar to an mp3 player. yes, you can set playlists on youtube as well, but i wouldn't want to use youtube just as a music player for long periods of time. you can also download playlists to be used offline, particularly if you listen to music for long periods of time and are not near a charger, then this is handy.

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I signed up for Premium on day one and haven't looked back yet. I use it everyday. I've got my 8,000+ song music collection on Google Music and then Spotify for the rest. No complaints here.

Mordecaidrake

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I signed up for Premium on day one and haven't looked back yet. I use it everyday. I've got my 8,000+ song music collection on Google Music and then Spotify for the rest. No complaints here.

How's the quality, are you finding yourself using Pandora at all for music discovery?

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
How's the quality, are you finding yourself using Pandora at all for music discovery?

Quality is amazing. I made sure to set the quality to high quality for both streaming and sync. One of the huge benefits of Premium service is offline access. So for example, I have my starred (favorites) songs set to be available offline on my Thunderbolt. So when I star a song either on my home laptop, work laptop, phone, Xoom, whatever, it downloads an offline copy onto my Thunderbolt. Quality is amazing and no stuttering since it is available without a data connection. And streaming quality is great too.

I do have Pandora as well. Even bought Pandora One about a year ago. But to be honest, I haven't touched Pandora since getting Spotify.

Mordecaidrake

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Quality is amazing. I made sure to set the quality to high quality for both streaming and sync. One of the huge benefits of Premium service is offline access. So for example, I have my starred (favorites) songs set to be available offline on my Thunderbolt. So when I star a song either on my home laptop, work laptop, phone, Xoom, whatever, it downloads an offline copy onto my Thunderbolt. Quality is amazing and no stuttering since it is available without a data connection. And streaming quality is great too.

I do have Pandora as well. Even bought Pandora One about a year ago. But to be honest, I haven't touched Pandora since getting Spotify.

I think my holy hang up with signing up is I like Pandora for music discovery. I know there's things you can setup on my home computer to discover new song that ties into your last.fm account. However I want it on the phone.

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I think my holy hang up with signing up is I like Pandora for music discovery. I know there's things you can setup on my home computer to discover new song that ties into your last.fm account. However I want it on the phone.

Pandora is amazing for music discovery. No taking away from that. What I would do if I were you is use Pandora to discover it and use Spotify for access to it later at any time.

Mordecaidrake

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Pandora is amazing for music discovery. No taking away from that. What I would do if I were you is use Pandora to discover it and use Spotify for access to it later at any time.

I found this truShuffle (beta) - Better shuffling for Spotify that seems to work pretty well, but you have to use it on your desktop in order for it to work I guess. I can't verify because the service is down but looks like that's the case.

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I've been a Rhapsody subscriber since 2003, and have been using the Android app since March when I got my TBolt. I've used Pandora once or twice. I see no reason to use Spotify over Rhapsody. Rhapsody has offline access, radio stations which are great for music discovery, and a catalog of over 10 million tracks, just like spotify. Spotify has a lot of hype for some reason, as though it's a brand new invention, but Rhapsody and Napster have been doing this for 5+ years already.

For the people that can listen to all their music by going to YouTube, Spotify/Rhapsody/Napster is clearly not for you.

For the people that think of Spotify/Rhapsody/Napster in terms of storage space on your phone, and not the ability to listen to anything you want, whenever you want, wherever you want, again, the service is not for you.

The service is for people who don't solely listen to Top 40 radio. It's for people who are curious with a broad musical interest, much of which is not on major labels, for people who want to be able to listen to the new albums the day they come without having to buy them at 99 cents per track, and so on and so on.

For those people, once they've tried the subscription service, there's no going back to buying songs for 99 cents. It just makes no sense. I've never bought a song on iTunes and have no reason to think I ever will.

Oh, and Sonos with Rhapsody, or Sonos with Spotify or Sonos with any other subscription service? It's heaven, pure heaven. I can't think of two products I'm more pleased with purchasing than Sonos and Rhapsody.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I haven't tried Spotify yet, mainly because I'm sure what it can do that my slacker account can't...

I have the slacker plus ($4/month), not the premium...so I don't have full custom playlists... But I get custom stations with offline caching... And I'm very happy with it. I'm not saying that Spotify can't so more, but I've never understood why Pandora is so much more popular when it doesn't offer those services (to my knowlege), and why no one ever compares spotify's service to Slacker, which to me seems more comparable.

jgang06

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tried Spotify yet, mainly because I'm sure what it can do that my slacker account can't...

I have the slacker plus ($4/month), not the premium...so I don't have full custom playlists... But I get custom stations with offline caching... And I'm very happy with it. I'm not saying that Spotify can't so more, but I've never understood why Pandora is so much more popular when it doesn't offer those services (to my knowlege), and why no one ever compares spotify's service to Slacker, which to me seems more comparable.

Do you find it annoying how Spotify sorts the music with their app? Have you found a way around it? My whole local library is so jumbled up in the Spotify app. Right now im using Google music for my local stuff (old music) and Spotify for my streaming stuff (new music). Is that how you do it? It would be nice to be able to use Spotify for both.

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I am using Spotify premium and loving it. Discovering new artists, listening to bands I haven't in forever, and not having to pirate music anymore.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred