Sprint Galaxy Nexus completely wiped.

stargazer127

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
My daughter completely wiped her Galaxy Nexus. I can get into TWRP, however anything I try to do gets me to Google logo and padlock icon on bottom. If I go into download and press start I go to Google logo and padlock icon, if I try to do ANYTHING other than get into twrp recovery. I get google logo and padlock icon, cannot get usb-otg to mount. Anything requiring E: gets E: Unable to locate storage device. Plus, I cannot get ANY computer to recognize the phone, get device not recognized. Tried to load drivers for both Win7 and Win8 computers, no luck. If I can't get a computer to see the phone, how can I fix it? There is nothing showing up on phone to restore. Again, if I can't get pc to recognize device how can I get an operating system back on phone? Sure hope someone can help.

Colette

Ethan Grimes

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I usually never recommend toolkits but in this case you've got numerous drivers that are on your machine. First, find and download Wug's Nexus toolkit. When setting it up, it will give you tools and directions to remove all existing drivers from your machine for the phone. Then go ahead and install the drivers they have (the universal one). As long as the device is in TWRP or in the bootloader the computer should be able to see it and work with it (the toolkit will verify if everything is working after it installs the drivers). Once you verify connectivity, then you can make sure you update to the latest TWRP 2.6.1 and find a ROM you want to install then use whatever method you like, either the toolkit to install it (I personally never use them) or the manual method with the android sdk and adb push. Then install it and you should be squared away. Let us know how it goes.

stargazer127

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok, already tried that with another computer, but tried it again on a computer that I know has never had any Samsung or ADB drivers on it. (clean windows install) The PC sees somethings there, but calls it an unknown device saying there's a problem with it. When I force a driver on it, I get an error This device will not start. According to Windows, this device has malfunctioned. I can't follow Wug's toolkit instructions regarding the phone because I can't turn on the phone to enable USB debugging. Looks like this Nexus is toast. Getting into twrp recovery or download doesn't help me if the PC can't see the device as a Galaxy Nexus. I guarantee after seeing this, I would never buy a phone that doesn't have an SD card. Thanks for your attempt to help. I really hate it when a piece of technology gets the best of me, but since my daughter went ahead and bought another phone, I guess this one is headed to the trash.

Ethan Grimes

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Well the usb debugging isn't important for your purposes in the moment, you can still follow the directions and should be able to get it working. The Galaxy Nexus is nearly unbrickable. I'm not saying it can't or has never happened, but I've personally (when I was still learning custom roms and the such) eliminated custom recovery after wiping the whole damn device (system and everything). All I had to work with was the bootloader and still brought it back to life. I've read numerous accounts of people who've resurrected their devices as well. Regardless, if you continue to mess with it, there's a solid chance you can bring it back to life. If you're interested we can set up a G+ hangout sometime and work on it together.

stargazer127

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Well, I truly believe the usb has a problem, the pc can see something is there, but says it is malfunctioning. I used sdk android tool, pushed the drivers, and when I specifically load the drive to the device, I get device off. Thanks for your help, but I think this Nexus is toast. Nothing I do will make the pc see it except as a malfunctioning thing out there. Get error code 43 without forcing a driver, and 10 when I do.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, I truly believe the usb has a problem, the pc can see something is there, but says it is malfunctioning. I used sdk android tool, pushed the drivers, and when I specifically load the drive to the device, I get device off. Thanks for your help, but I think this Nexus is toast. Nothing I do will make the pc see it except as a malfunctioning thing out there. Get error code 43 without forcing a driver, and 10 when I do.

Have you tried a different cable? For some reason, these Samsung phones are picky about the cables used. It's worth a shot if you didn't already.