Sprint Galaxy S3 - Lock screen showing preview of text messages/ Vibrate sound

Andronote3

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
If you are rooted:
Method 1.
Install Xposed Installer APK , Open Xposed Installer, tap on framework and tap install. Then install Disable Samsung Notification Widget APK , activate the module in xposed framework and reboot.

Method 2.
Install 8SMS APK is a beefed up version of the stock android messaging app. You can also use Hangouts APK it supports SMS now.
For missed call notifications, you can't do much other than install lockscreen policy from the market. (only works on 4.3 and below) This will kill ALL widgets on the lockscreen (and notifications) So if you are trying to replace your lockscreen with something like dashclock it won't work... and no! There's no option to choose certain widgets, it kills them ALL. Here is the link: Lockscreen Policy APK

Last edited:

ashaley13

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I too am having this problem with the new update and I find it to be very frustrating. Does anyone know if you can turn your lock screen off completely to avoid the message popping up for the whole world to read and see? Like seriously why they allowed that to be made without an option to customize it is beyond me. I would have to say they are going to be getting a numerous amount of complaints!

agentrabbit

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
The Lockscreen Policy app worked perfectly, no more pop-ups on my lock screen. Thanks!

After searching for a couple of days now, I found this app which allows the message widget to be turned "off" on the lock screen. None of the other solutions posted actually removed the widget, but only stopped the messages being displayed in the widget box. This still allowed the message box to cover the owner information. This is where I put a message to call my wife's phone if mine was lost. Having the message box cover this made it useless.

The app is Lockscreen Policy by Chislon Chow- November 25, 2013. I found it on Google Play Store. Also works for PIN locking.

tom051071

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Is there any way to restore having to screen light up briefly with the envelope icon when getting a text?.If my phone is on silent now i have no way of knowing if i am receiving a text. At least before the update my screen would light up with the envelope. Also my notification volumes don't seem to be as loud as before. Any help or answer would be appreciated

Vectorspace

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I agree this was a mistake by Samsung. Having private text messages appear on the lock screen is a privacy risk, and having to disable message preview in the notification bar to prevent that is highly inconvenient.

We should have full control over what potentially personal data can be accessed without having to unlock the phone, and exercising that control should not require turning off other useful features.

I might try that Start app that trinamorgan88 mentioned - it looks very good.

jpnagle59

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
hey there...thought this might help with the lock screen problems---
1)

You can download a root file browser like ES File Exploxer from the Play Store,
Go to System -> App
Rename: KeyguardWidget.apk to KeyguardWidget.apk.bak
Reboot your device

OR-;)

2) Download 3rd party lockscreen app from the Play Store to replace the one you have, which should override the Samsung widgets, and then disable all widgets.

Arcenel

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Solution is. Go to application manager in settings. Go to all. Scroll down to s3 update it will be 2 selections. Press one and it will say turn off. Turn the update off and force stop itm it will take away the lock screen messages and revert back to the original screen you can turn it back on at any time

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
There are a number of 3rd party apps that will help with notifications. Look at lightflow, which uses the LED, and Dynamic Notifications, which uses the screen. There are others, I'm sure.

mcp6530

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a lock screen, it doesn't lock until 29 minutes after phone hasn't been used. My phone screen used to turn on and the message would appear when I got a new text - that no longer happens, phone screen stays off and phone just chirps with a new message. Anyone know how I can get it back to the screen turning on when i get a new message? That was really helpful...

aszg

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Solution is. Go to application manager in settings. Go to all. Scroll down to s3 update it will be 2 selections. Press one and it will say turn off. Turn the update off and force stop itm it will take away the lock screen messages and revert back to the original screen you can turn it back on at any time

I tried this, but it does not work. I also tried using Lockscreen Policy, but that does not work also. Anyone have any other ideas?

tattoofreakshow

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
After searching for a couple of days now, I found this app which allows the message widget to be turned "off" on the lock screen. None of the other solutions posted actually removed the widget, but only stopped the messages being displayed in the widget box. This still allowed the message box to cover the owner information. This is where I put a message to call my wife's phone if mine was lost. Having the message box cover this made it useless.

The app is Lockscreen Policy by Chislon Chow- November 25, 2013. I found it on Google Play Store. Also works for PIN locking.

This app worked on my Galaxy Note 2, 4.3. Thanks!

TechAddict

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I find this 'update' a pain. All I need when I get a message is a tone, a flashing LED and a notification in the drop down list. I DON'T need the phone to add another Home Screen to my device with a box saying 'MESSAGE' at the top that when I touch the 'Message' notification I get the 'Swipe to unlock'. I can't see what possible purpose it serves? Either I will turn on 'Message Preview' or not if I want anything else other than the 3 types of notification I already have. The other pain of course is that if you DO have a message waiting you open to THAT lock screen, not YOUR Lock Screen.

Sux update. So much more Android being customisable the way YOU want it!!

Rainey-has-problems

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Hello this information was very useful information, thank you. But I would like for my messages not to scroll on the banner. I had this setting on before, but then I had to get a new phone and my settings were refreshed, and I forgot what I did to have this setting. How do I turn off the message scrolling at the top of my phone's screen, (unlocked,) and have it just say "new message arrived" instead? Thank you for the help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anonymous Jones