Sprint Nexus 5

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
100% agree, but I think you'll find that most people who say Google is subsidizing them is basically shorthanding the meaning to be they're just making minimal profit. I doubt there's a stack of paperwork somewhere to actually subsidize them all. Is it inaccurate to say Google is subsidizing them? Probably, but it's also not misleading the idea, simply giving it an easy to understand/identify name rather than say Google is selling them above cost.

Google will sell the N5 for more than the cost of the parts. Much of the R&D was covered by LG, as it appears this phone uses some of the parts/design from the G2.

However, it's a pretty certain assumption that Google will not profit on the hardware.

On a more related note, I would NEVER buy a Nexus device on a cdma carrier because you're locked into carrier bull****. The "unlocked" GSM version gets updates from the Play Store. On Sprint/Verizon you're best bet is the S4 because Sammy supports their devices longer than other manufacturers.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
how do you know?

I would love for sprint to switch to csim/uicc as they did with iphone 5s/5c

rather buy the damn phone off google and do whatever the hell i want with it than be locked down with sprint like my old galaxy nexus

How do I know what? Nothing I said is 100% factual, its all based on what I've seen/read that are all rumor based.

But I kinda doubt Google wants to go down the road of making more than one version of these. Unless Sprint handed them a good deal of money to add a logo on the back. Which I rly doubt since they are bleeding customers and still owe Apple a big check that hasn't paid off yet.

Plus why would they go through the trouble of adding Sprint bands in the unlocked version they're going to sell if they just had to make a Sprint version anyway.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
as i said - there's no Sprint $50 unlimited everything plan. even after discounts.
Unlimited text, mobile minutes, unlimited data, 1000 landline minutes? You happy? Not many people use anywhere near that many minutes. I use maybe 200 or 300 a month, none to landlines

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
If your not on Sprint why are you on a "Sprint Nexus 5" forum board? If your happy with your service and your service provider who cares.. If saving $30 a month is a big deal to you then yeah you need to switch to a Go-Phone or Straight talk from T-Mobile service.... Even in my everyday life there are area's I KNOW Sprint is going to suck but overall their coverage does me good where I live, work and play.... and I tried out T-Mobile last year and had AT&T at one point... They honestly were not a whole lot better or worse than Sprint.... I've mostly spent 20 years with Sprint and overall they've been good to me...

I just wish Google would go ahead and announce the device or at least announce a date for when they are going to announce it (officially) I have the feeling all these leaks are actually the official announcement.. Google is just screwing with all of us.... build hype and then have a quick announcement and "Hey buy it now." based on the information "Leaked" so far... You should be able to buy it form the play store and use it on Sprint... BUT we all know Sprint being the CDMA carrier they are can block anything they want.... so who knows if they will make you buy it through them and sign a contract? I'd rather pay $350 - 400 for a Nexus device than $300 - 350 for a Note 3 and get hooked on another 3 year deal....

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
^^^ true.

as much as i like having sprint. i really like tmobile's end of contract subsidies. i have no problems with the service with sprint, i just cant justify being on a contract when I can either buy a nexus for 300-350ish vs buying a subsidized phone for 200 and being stuck for 2 years.

choclab1

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Plus why would they go through the trouble of adding Sprint bands in the unlocked version they're going to sell if they just had to make a Sprint version anyway.

This is my theory also. Why even make an unlocked with those bands if they have to make a second device anyways. Hopefully this is a good sign that we sprint customers can buy from the play store also.

Posted via Android Central App on New Nexus 7

GeekGie

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
This is my theory also. Why even make an unlocked with those bands if they have to make a second device anyways. Hopefully this is a good sign that we sprint customers can buy from the play store also.

This is my hope also, Google convinced Sprint it would be beneficial for them to let their customers buy it through the Play Store and the customer can choose to re-up their contract with Sprint or just be using Sprint's service with a "expired" contract. I know it is unlikely but with all the upheaval in the Big 4's contracts this year it gives me hope that we can start having an option to buy our phones from the Play Store even if is CDMA and just use Sprint as the service provider.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If your not on Sprint why are you on a "Sprint Nexus 5" forum board? If your happy with your service and your service provider who cares.. If saving $30 a month is a big deal to you then yeah you need to switch to a Go-Phone or Straight talk from T-Mobile service.... Even in my everyday life there are area's I KNOW Sprint is going to suck but overall their coverage does me good where I live, work and play.... and I tried out T-Mobile last year and had AT&T at one point... They honestly were not a whole lot better or worse than Sprint.... I've mostly spent 20 years with Sprint and overall they've been good to me...

I just wish Google would go ahead and announce the device or at least announce a date for when they are going to announce it (officially) I have the feeling all these leaks are actually the official announcement.. Google is just screwing with all of us.... build hype and then have a quick announcement and "Hey buy it now." based on the information "Leaked" so far... You should be able to buy it form the play store and use it on Sprint... BUT we all know Sprint being the CDMA carrier they are can block anything they want.... so who knows if they will make you buy it through them and sign a contract? I'd rather pay $350 - 400 for a Nexus device than $300 - 350 for a Note 3 and get hooked on another 3 year deal....

Because it's in the N5 forums and I click on everything N5 related atm.

If Sprint works for someone then great, I'm not here to tell ppl to leave their carrier. Not everyone knows about T-Mo or Go-Phone or ST and don't know options are out there. I know I didn't when I was with Sprint and you're right that not every carrier is perfect for each person. I had great voice coverage with Sprint, better than both T-Mo and AT&T....I never once lost a signal on their network while in my home area. But their data was unbearable.

The point is that we don't know for sure that this will be available on Sprint and even if it is the ppl on Sprint should know of the other options out there should they want to save those $700 over the life of 2 years.

ludesleep

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
This is my hope also, Google convinced Sprint it would be beneficial for them to let their customers buy it through the Play Store and the customer can choose to re-up their contract with Sprint or just be using Sprint's service with a "expired" contract. I know it is unlikely but with all the upheaval in the Big 4's contracts this year it gives me hope that we can start having an option to buy our phones from the Play Store even if is CDMA and just use Sprint as the service provider.
If this plays out to be true(which I hope it does), Google or Sprint better give a heads up ahead of launch. I don't want to be standing around on launch day with my **** in my hand wondering if I should buy from the play store.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
If this plays out to be true(which I hope it does), Google or Sprint better give a heads up ahead of launch. I don't want to be standing around on launch day with my **** in my hand wondering if I should buy from the play store.

don't count on it.

choclab1

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site

Hopefully when Google announces it, they will say what networks it works on. Otherwise I'm just ordering one of the play store and hoping for the best. Worst case I have to sell it, or buy a T-Mobile prepaid for a month and tryout their service.lol

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Don't take what I say as trolling, but I picked up my Gnex june of 2012, my last update months ago was to 4.2.1. No updates to address the security vulnerabilities discovered 6 months ago, no good communication from Sprint about support. AOSP support nonexistent. Part of the fault lays on Samsung but a large part also lays on Sprint. The Galaxy Nexus got neutered by Sprint and is Nexus in name only with them. That said, the Nexus S 4G had good support, so just saying that it's an iffy proposition to buy a Nexus device on Sprint and expect support in the long term.

I reported Sprint to the better business bureau and after a week a rep contacted me from Sprint.I gave them the story and told them what the issue was and he replied back with Spint does not make the software but samsung does. I replied back with that is correct and told him that the Sprint Galaxy Nexus is still thier product and they have to push for samsung to update it.He replied back with that its not that high priority and that there is no issues with the software right now and that it does not require an update. I replied back as Google Sprint Galaxy nexus sleep of death, random reboots,wifi issues. There are hundreds of people complaining about this buggy 4.2.1 and then said thats still not the point, its a nexus that has been swept under the rug and that its false
advertisment as it was marketed as a nexus and that is would not be that hard to get a class action for this. He was speechless. So the point is if you want results report them to the BBB. At least you will get a call from sprint to voice your concern.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I've never been a Verizon customer, so I can't comment on them. I never really had a "problem" per-se with Sprint. They just cost too much for what you got, and failed to be competitive.

I'm against vendor lock-in and so will never buy a locked phone again, or a limited CDMA phone again, either.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I would love for sprint to switch to csim/uicc as they did with iphone 5s/5c

Well, Apple makes their phones with a combination GSM/CDMA transceiver. I don't really see Google doing this because their business model isn't all tied up in producing smart phones, but in maintaining the OS platform.