Standby battery life.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Since I got my Pixel 2 one thing that bugs me is the standby battery. If I don't charge overnight it will lose 2%+ an hour. So when I get up 6-7 hours later I'm down close to 15% on average.

My question is, is that relatively normal? I know apps and usage can vary but when I'm not using the phone it doesn't seem like it should use that much. Maybe I have a hardware issue? I do a factory reset most months after the updates and the phone performs fine and doesn't use more than I'd expect during a given day I just don't understand the standby drainage.

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Seems a lot to lose overnight, last time I checked, with wifi and Bluetooth left on, my loss was about 3 or 4%

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'll never check overnight battery usage as I always charge overnight so it would never matter. What does matter is being able to get through a busy day after charging overnight. I can easily get through the day with battery to spare and that's all that really matters to me.

When do you usually do your charging?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Since I got my Pixel 2 one thing that bugs me is the standby battery. If I don't charge overnight it will lose 2%+ an hour. So when I get up 6-7 hours later I'm down close to 15% on average.

My question is, is that relatively normal? I know apps and usage can vary but when I'm not using the phone it doesn't seem like it should use that much. Maybe I have a hardware issue? I do a factory reset most months after the updates and the phone performs fine and doesn't use more than I'd expect during a given day I just don't understand the standby drainage.

15 percent is alot....I know mine is nowhere near that. I'll double check and let you know how much.

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
So when I get up 6-7 hours later I'm down close to 15% on average.
That's close to what I was seeing on my 2 XL on DP 4 with AOD on, 12-15% overnight. Things were significantly better with AOD off, more like -6% overnight.

For now on DP 5, I'm losing more like 8-9% overnight with AOD on and 2 or 3% with it off. But it's early days for DP 5.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
15 percent is alot....I know mine is nowhere near that. I'll double check and let you know how much.
Appreciate it.
That's close to what I was seeing on my 2 XL on DP 4 with AOD on, 12-15% overnight. Things were significantly better with AOD off, more like -6% overnight.

For now on DP 5, I'm losing more like 8-9% overnight with AOD on and 2 or 3% with it off. But it's early days for DP 5.
I'm on DP5, I ran DP4 & DP3 for a few days to but always want back to stable Oreo and it has been the same on all of them including the stable July update before I went to DP5 the other day. I'll try turning AOD off tonight and see if it matters.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
With the new update I'd say I lose between 5-7% on an average night. But I charge my phone in the morning before work so I don't worry too much about battery loss overnight.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I'm almost getting iPhone-quality standby time on my 2 XL. I lose between 3%-4% overnight if I don't charge the device. My iPhone X loses 1%-2% overnight.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
With the new update I'd say I lose between 5-7% on an average night. But I charge my phone in the morning before work so I don't worry too much about battery loss overnight.
Yeah I don't worry about it because I tend to charge when I get to work. However my LG G6 and even my S7 didn't eat that much so my concern is more that something isn't right with the phone because it's done it since I've had it on every version of software.
Mine loses that much too. I think it's bc I don't get great reception in the bedroom.
See I have great reception on both WiFi and cell so that shouldn't be an issue.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
So turning off AOD cut the drainage in half last night but I still lost 1% an hour on wifi and my nightstand is about 20 ft from my router with only one interior wall and great signal strength.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Charging to 100% isn't healthy for battery longevity - especially on a phone you can't just pop a new $10 battery into.

From my reading, today's charging electronics doesn't allow for a battery to actually deplete to 0% nor to charge to 100%. Engineers have designed maximum and minimum charging to be optimal for maximum battery life and the readout says 100% just so the user feels he has a full charge.

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
So turning off AOD cut the drainage in half last night but I still lost 1% an hour on wifi
That could still be chalked up to an app.

I like the look of the textual clock that I get from a Minimalistic Text widget on my home screen, but I'm pretty sure it's a mild 3rd-party battery drainer since it's always on. Adaptive Battery keeps itching to restrict it, but if I restrict it, it's bye-bye cool clock, so....

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site

I like the look of the textual clock that I get from a Minimalistic Text widget on my home screen, but I'm pretty sure it's a mild 3rd-party battery drainer since it's always on. Adaptive Battery keeps itching to restrict it, but if I restrict it, it's bye-bye cool clock, so....
On Android P Minimalist Text was a battery drain as flagged up by Adaptive Battery in settings. I had to uninstall it as it was draining my battery.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

It could certainly be due to an app. Maybe see if the situation persists in Safe Mode.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allen7_75