Starting out with the Atrix

bobert

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Hello Android Central Forum users!
I just got an Atrix, rooted it, unlocked it, but there are a few things that I need/would like to know.
The first is the HSPA+. The icon up top always says H+, but does that necessarily mean the tower is HSPA+? Meaning, are all 3G towers displaying as H+? I looked on AT&T maps and I am nowhere near an area labeled with their "4G", but it always says H+. Is there no way to tell the difference between HSPA+ and regular 'ole 3G other than the speed of the connection?

Secondly, I was looking for some type of quick settings toggle to put in the notification drop down. I got used to it on my old jailbroken iPhone (this is one of the very few things I miss about having an iPhone).

I didn't find in ROMs for vanilla android. If you all know of any I would like to know :) Right now I'm using stock rooted with Launcher Pro and Widget Locker. I'm pretty darn happy with it.

Lavitapostandroid

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure our faux 4g really is better if they have completed their backhaul in your area. Overall, I am consistently getting. 3.5Mbps down 1.5Mbps up. When the stars aligned, i have received 5Mbps down. I only personally see Edge and HSPA+. I don't believe there is an in between.

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX with Tapatalk

njlx016

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You can go to "Options" > "About Phone" > "Status" and it will show what kind of network you're on under "Mobile Network Type". It shows "H+" in the status bar even on UMTS.

UMTS is "3G"
HSDPA is "3.5G"
HSPA is "3.75G"
HSPA+ is "3.9G"

Last edited:

tlaswell

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I know that icon turns all blue when you are in 3g area. I think it has a E at the top where the HSP usually is. Oh wait, that is Edge isn't it. Terrible reception inside the building at work. I swear the walls are made out of a heavy rebar mesh to make it hurricane resistant.

bobert

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I would really appreciate a developer creating a mod to make the network status icon show H+ ONLY when it is on HSPA+. I would like it to say 3G the rest of the time (or EDGE).:)

So far I'm enjoying my Atrix. I've already soft-bricked it twice for various things. Can anyone tell me if it is safe to use the ClockworkMod Recovery that is flashed from ROM Manager?

I think Tenfar's recovery may have caused my Atrix to flash CM7 improperly which caused bootlooping. It bootlooped after I tried to flash my backup as well. (Yes, I did wipe user data and cache first both times.) I had to use the SBF to return to stock.

JohnnyUtah

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
You can't use tenfar's cwm for cm7. Yes you can safely use cwm from rom manager as that is what I did before flashing cm7. By the way, almost all the features you mentioned in the op that you want are in cm7 plus many more great things.

Reactions: bobert

bobert

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
That is great! I wish I would have known about tenfar's not working before I flashed. I will flash CM7 tonight. I just hope it takes a valid backup in case I need to go back:) Thanks for the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fatJimmy