Steve Jobs dead!

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I spend so much time on the gadgets he pioneered (I own an iPad, DroidX and Xoom) I couldn't help but feel a pang of loss at the news of his passing. RIP, Mr. Edison of our time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

larrytxeast

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I really want this thread to stay on topic. That topic being the passing of a human being.

Let's try not to bring personal feelings about a company or it's products into this.

Thank you for understanding.

I am fine with that, if I can point out that others were PRAISING his products, crediting him with being the reason other non-Apple products exists--and if it's not about the products as you say, I would think that applies to the OTHER posts speaking of products as well. It's not my forum, I realize that, I'm just saying.

At any rate, I hope you can appreciate that I went out of my way to acknowledge that, no matter what I think of the products Apple makes, Steve Jobs himself was a HUMAN being, and it's sad that this happened at such a young age. 56 doesn't seem young when you're 20, but then when you're 20 you think someone 28 is old. I went out of my way to point out that he bleeds red just as we do, that he has family & friends who miss him just as we miss those close to us, and we would want them to think of us that way when our number is called.

It's like that in sports, too, certain rivalries become VERY heated, and yet in situations like this fans of the opposing team will come out and support the person who is in a bad state or passed-on etc--but they will STILL remark (respectfully & tactfully) on how they were never a fan of the particular team.

For example (I need to wrap this up quickly), I root for the Tar Heels in men's college basketball. Duke is a huge rival, the fans of the 2 teams will go so far as to pull against the opposing team no matter who they're playing against. Rather than (say) Duke fans pulling for Carolina if Carolina is playing, say, Kentucky, Duke fans will pull for Kentucky simply because they're playing against Carolina. Carolina fans do the same. The rivalry is so strong it's not just about your team succeeding, but the other one failing.

Anyway, Dean Smith, the former 36 year coach of the Tar Heels and a Hall of Famer, last year was diagnosed as having memory loss issues. Many Duke fans commented, saying that while they would never ever pull for the Tar Heels no matter who they played against and used to get real upset when the Tar Heels would beat them, nonetheless they respected Dean Smith's accomplishments and absolutely had sympathy for him AS A HUMAN and for his family members and close friends. They were STILL able to acknowledge that they were "Anybody but Carolina" in terms of the team they pulled for, but were very respectful of Dean Smith THE PERSON in making their comment.

That is what I was trying to do. Believe me, I take no pleasure in the man's passing, and hope I conveyed that.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
My post was not directed at anyone individually, so I apologize if it came across that way to anyone.

The goal isn't to try to get people "in trouble" but to keep this thread respectful. Not inflammatory, not argumentative. Just a way to show respect for the passing of a human being that many people have a great amount of respect for.

b4ux1t3

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm seeing a lot of hate out there for Jobs, and it's kind of pissing me off. I'm glad to see this thread, especially on an Android site.

Regardless of your views on Apple products, Apple's business model, or Pixar, a man has died and that is cause for celebration of his life, achievements, and memory, not the celebration of his death.

Some people should be ashamed of themselves. Not you guys though. :D Now if you'll excuse me, I have a glass of brandy to raise.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Evolution of tech rests on the backs of true visionaries, Steve Jobs was one of those people. The true measure of his contributions is hard to measure. Thank you good sir for everything. Rest in peace.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
americans-mourn-passing-apple-co-20111005-190222-965.jpg

:(

larrytxeast

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
My post was not directed at anyone individually, so I apologize if it came across that way to anyone.

The goal isn't to try to get people "in trouble" but to keep this thread respectful. Not inflammatory, not argumentative. Just a way to show respect for the passing of a human being that many people have a great amount of respect for.

No problem at all, I think we're all good now. I appreciate the original comment not being censored either.

LRH

erzhik

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
People may say his products sucked, some will say that the company as a whole sucked..

But I think everyone will agree that the man was a visionary, a genius and will be missed dearly. He was a great man, fantastic innovator and a true leader. I am not a big fan of the iPhone, but Steve was a fantastic human being and is a true loss to technology world.

R.I.P.​

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Steve even though i said i couldnt stand apple sometimes i actually did and still do. You made apple what it is today, you made me want to get into the smartphone industry. With him android really wouldnt be where it is today. RIP steve, you will be greatly missed.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I spent the last few years being a Steve Jobs hater, then about a month ago I bought an iPad 2 and immediately fell in love with it. It almost feels like I wasted the last few years hating the man rather than just enjoying the rewards his work brought people. I suppose better late than never and at least I discovered the joy Apple can bring while he was still alive, albeit with a month or so left.

Thank you Mr. Jobs and sorry for the hate...RIP... Sincerely sent from my iPad 2 tethered to my Thunderbolt......

rharv3#AC

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Steve even though i said i couldnt stand apple sometimes i actually did and still do. You made apple what it is today, you made me want to get into the smartphone industry. With him android really wouldnt be where it is today. RIP steve, you will be greatly missed.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Agreed. RIP Steve. You were one of the greatest innovative minds of our time.

Sent from my Droid X most likely while tappin' and takin' a $#!%!!!

lornaevo

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Like him or not he is still a life lost and a family is mourning. My thoughts are with his family. This is a difficult time for them. R.I.P. Mr. Jobs.

HTC Evo 4G
Salvage Mod 1.4

KiboeTheDog

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
as someone who has lost loved ones over the years. one from cancer. i can understand,

as much as you people want to make jokes about his death (tasteless) i'd expect this kind of behavior over at XDA...not here, grow up.

if it wasn't for jobs, we would not have computers the way they are now, he challenged other companies to make their own software and personal computers, he sparked competition in the technology buisiness, he did push the boundries, he was a marketing genious, and visionary.

and to all the haters out there. how would you feel if someone you loved died, then people started cracking jokes and trolling the survivors?

the tribute CNN did, which i thought was touching.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY4VkkRhsgI

here's another one i found, auto tuned speech he did at stanford a few years back:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4VTZx5jcnQ

Last edited:

jbuggydroid

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Not an apple fan but man did I want an iphone when it first came out. A phone that can do more than make calls??? Surf the web??? Play decent amazing games??? Take good pictures??? Etc??? That was just awesome craziness.

Steve Jobs may not have created the first "smartphone" but he did invent one that people really wanted. He helped push the industry forward, helped make it what it is today. We android lovers do owe him much gratitude and thanks. May his family find the way to move on and may us all feel blessed for what this man has given us.

To me he doesnt deserve respect. He EARNED it. and he has earned my respect and the respect of others. RIP Steve Jobs. You will be missed.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Steve Jobs was a man I loved to hate. I talked smack about his iron fist over his "walled garden", his flock of mindless sheep, and the only choice he offered his customers was black or white. Needless to say when I heard this last night I sat down with myself and came to several realizations.

The first and most important is that this man had a family. People who love him unconditionally and his loss will be sorely felt by them. To deny them respect and condolences would be to deny your own (or mine in this case) humanity. I sincerely pray for peace to Mr. Jobs and the souls affected by his loss.

The second thing I pondered was how much he really meant to the tech industry as a whole. When I was in grade school, there were two Apple computers in the back of the classroom, and we all took turns playing "Oregon Trail". He found a way to bring computers into everyone's home, and ultimately convinced everyone they needed one. Then comes ITunes, which singlehandedly changed the way we consume everything from music to tv shows to movies and even games. I have a couple of frequently used IPods sitting around my house and most are full. As I read the articles on my TBolt, it dawned on me that before the IPhone came along, this would not have been possible. He started an "Arms Race" that everyone with ANY smartphone has benifited from. And for that reason alone, he deserves my (our) respect.

Reguardless of the phone I have or the phone I am going to get next, I have to tip my hat to the man who made it possible.

R.I.P. Steve Jobs

Reactions: phonejunky

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michaelcrook