Still using S7A for music & podcasts, but battery is draining faster after transferring ph# to new carrier . . .

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
. . and new phone. :unsure:
In fact, not only is the battery draining much faster then it was a week & 1/2 ago, before I transferred the ph# off of it, but the S7A has also completely discharged a few times whilst it was powered off most of the day !:-0 The rapid discharging seems to be ubiquitous, one might say. I know this may never get read, but Thanks if anyone has any ideas why ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: J Dubbs

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm. Thanks.
Odd though, as it wasn't discharging rapidly.... until I transferred the ph # approx 13 days ago.
Well, I'd say it may be because the new Network provider has a worse signal where you are, so the phone is working harder to maintain a good connection.

But the fact it's doing it while powered off makes me think the battery is just dying. Doesn't really matter if it was fine a week ago, these things happen slowly at first, then very quickly..

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'd say it may be because the new Network provider has a worse signal where you are, so the phone is working harder to maintain a good connection.

But the fact it's doing it while powered off makes me think the battery is just dying. Doesn't really matter if it was fine a week ago, these things happen slowly at first, then very quickly..
Thanks again for your opinion regarding the issue! There is no network provider, hence no connection; just using it around the house on WiFi, as I transferred my ph # from it, a couple weeks ago, to a new phone w/ a different carrier.

And strangely, now the rapid bat drainage seems to not be happening, after I noticed that 'Location' was on, (which I must've accidentally turned-on, or turned on during the SmartSwitch process; I don't recall :~\ ), but now turned off again.
It's nice to be able to use an old phone for tunes & stuff, e.g. while working outside or on lawn tractor &c.
— Thanks again, fuzzylumpkin, for your helpful idea. ;-)

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Check the battery health by installing Accubattery and letting the phone run through a few charge cycles. Anything <85% strongly suggests a degraded/failing battery.
Thanks, B. Diddy ! Although the rapid battery drainage appears to no longer be happening, being a 7 year old battery (a 2017 - 4000 mAh), I'm sure it's below that 85% threshold.

I once had Battery Guru installed, many years ago, later-on un-installing it, as it was always running in the background, at times seeming to increase the discharging, and as its data seemed redundant. But I'll dwnld that Accubattery to see what it shows. ;-)

Reading those: AccuBattery Help Center > User Manual > "accubattery.zendesk .com / Charging - research and methodology" & "battery health" articles now. ;-)

And hmmm. :unsure: I thought I'd read somewhere that charging to 90% was recommended. But do you guys concur with only charging to 80% ?
Agree with everyone on battery degrading but a slim chance try clearing cache in recovery
Thanks, mustang7757 !;-) . . . "clearing cache in recovery" ? . . . Where is that 'recovery'?
Insert: *inexplicably missing 'Embarrased' emo*

Last edited:
Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, B. Diddy ! Although the rapid battery drainage appears to no longer be happening, being a 7 year old battery (a 2017 - 4000 mAh), I'm sure it's below that 85% threshold.

I once had Battery Guru installed, many years ago, later-on un-installing it, as it was always running in the background, at times seeming to increase the discharging, and as its data seemed redundant. But I'll dwnld that Accubattery to see what it shows. ;-)

Reading those: AccuBattery Help Center > User Manual > "accubattery.zendesk .com / Charging - research and methodology" & "battery health" articles now. ;-)

And hmmm. :unsure: I thought I'd read somewhere that charging to 90% was recommended. But do you guys concur with only charging to 80% ?

Thanks, mustang7757 !;-) . . . "clearing cache in recovery" ? . . . Where is that 'recovery'? *inexplicably missing 'Embarrased' emo*
Usually turn the phone off then power it up but before it shows the display hold the volume up and power button at the same time

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

I don't personally subscribe to that methodology. I've always charged my phones to 100% and never looked back. What I do watch for is to make sure it never fully discharges. Under normal usage, my S20 FE will last from waking up at 6 the morning, and putting it back on the wireless charger for the night at maybe 11 while it still has about 30% left. Good enough for me.

And, yes, I leave it on the charger all night. Never been a problem.

Now, if I use the camera a lot, that runs it down much faster, and I will have to plug it into something - PC at home/work, car charger, wherever I have one handy. But otherwise, I'm fine.

I just seems to me that if you want to be vigilant about keeping the charge under 100%, it helps to be consistent with your usage - that you don't end up with a dead device before you realize it. Although at least Samsung does have a setting in more recent phones that you can turn on to limit the charge to 80% automatically.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't personally subscribe to that methodology. ~
And, yes, I leave it on the charger all night. Never been a problem. ~
Although at least Samsung does have a setting in more recent phones that you can turn on to limit the charge to 80% automatically.
Thanks, That's good to know, and thanks for the tip !;-)
Our S23U & S23+ has, "limit the maximum charge to 85%" . . . under: Settings > Battery and device care > Battery > More battery settings > Protect battery

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I never bothered only charging to 80% until I got the S23U, and that's just because it can easily make it through a day when limited to 85%.

Charging to 80 will prolong the lifespan of your battery, but life is too short for that kind of micro management unless your phone can actually operate normally and you don't notice the limitation.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree with what everyone above has been saying. Technically, keeping the battery between 80% and 40% has been shown to prolong a lithium battery the most, but the advantage over ranges like 90% and 30% or 100% and 20% is probably negligible over the real world ownership lifespan of the average phone. Being a stickler for the 80-40 range will probably only benefit people who want to use the same phone for more than 5-6 years, which is pretty rare these days.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I never bothered only charging to 80% until I got the S23U, and that's just because it can easily make it through a day when limited to 85%.

Charging to 80 will prolong the lifespan of your battery, but life is too short for that kind of micro management unless your phone can actually operate normally and you don't notice the limitation.
I agree with what everyone above has been saying. Technically, keeping the battery between 80% and 40% has been shown to prolong a lithium battery the most, but the advantage over ranges like 90% and 30% or 100% and 20% is probably negligible over the real world ownership lifespan of the average phone. Being a stickler for the 80-40 range will probably only benefit people who want to use the same phone for more than 5-6 years, which is pretty rare these days.
Thanks for sharing your perspectives. ;-)
Perhaps my Galaxy S7A is a good example of the negligible affects of following strict charging % regimes, as it's a 2017 (6-1/2 yrs old) phone, that I always charged from: 10-ish% to 100%.

And it looks like it was indeed high time to be upgraded, as @B. Diddy 's suggested AccuBattery app shows:

Battery health - 69%
Estimated capacity - 2,763 mAh
Design capacity - 4,000 mAh

Based on one session with 86% charged for 2,763 mAh total.

With this caveat . . .
"No full charges detected - We have not detected any full charges yet. Discharge to lower than 15% to begin a full charge measurement."

Last edited:
Reactions: B. Diddy

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos