Stock Camera Ratios

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
RAW versus JPEG is largely irrelevant at this point. Most people are "snap shooters" and not really concerned with tweaking white balance or doing more than basic corrections. They either a) Want to post to social media, or b) make relatively small prints for photo albums and such.

Anotherusr

Sep 29, 2017
Visit site
So I have photoshop and lightroom on my PC that I built but its down right now so I have to troubleshoot that. I'm familiar with canon DSLR's and my pictures that I take on that come out great and dont need too much cropping but I've been trying to rely on my phone for quick stuff when I don't feel like dragging my big camera out. I always shoot on raw with that, didn't know we could shoot on raw with the note 10 let alone if you could open those files in the gallery still. I save my dslr for 8x10's and such , I only plan on using phone pictures for 4x6's when I do print them. I was trying to get away from the things I obsess over with professional camera pictures and just enjoy the picture for what it is so to speak. I guess the simple printing from off the phone is kind of off the table now so maybe I'll just go back to putting them in lightroom when my computers back up but until then maybe I'll try this snapseed that you mentioned then load them to my cheap laptop.

Gernerttl do you recommend any other pc apps to edit in until I get my pc back up and can use lightroom?

Sorry for the long paragraph. Again appreciate all the advice.

Mooncatt , your link was somewhat helpful but I swear I get more confused at how shopting at 4:3 has my picture looking prepped for printing than a dslr does. Obviously the dslr is full frame which I believe is 3:2 but for as much as I understand about the camera and shooting pictures for family and friends what I shoot comes out exactly how i wanted it when i go to print it vs the phone camera lol. Pardon the fact that I dont pick up on things as fast as others it's a little embarrassing at times.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I get more confused at how shopting at 4:3 has my picture looking prepped for printing than a dslr does. Obviously the dslr is full frame which I believe is 3:2 but for as much as I understand about the camera and shooting pictures for family and friends what I shoot comes out exactly how i wanted it when i go to print it vs the phone camera
Maybe the key point that's confusing here is that there's a lot of zooming in & out happening in these steps, in addition to cropping.

The phone's camera sensor has much higher resolution than the phone's screen, in addition to a different aspect ratio. The aspect ratio is a rectangle's "shape", characterized by its width divided by its height, ignoring its size, so e.g. 6:4 is the same aspect ratio as 3:2.

So when you display the sensor's full image on the screen (by selecting 4:3 aspect ratio), it leaves bars on the sides (because of the different aspect ratios) and is also zoomed out (showing less detail) than the actual sensor image (because otherwise it wouldn't fit).

If instead you select 19:9 ("full"), the sensor image gets both cropped (leaving only a Note10-shaped chunk of the original rectangle) and again zoomed, to fit the whole screen (but the actual image still has higher resolution than its display on the screen).

A good way to understand all this is to play with it directly. Take any screen shot, and also take a photo at each of the available aspect ratios. (If possible, prop the camera up on a stand so it doesn't move between photos.) Then go look at the metadata for those images. For each one, calculate the aspect ratio from the resolution (divide the width by the height), and also compare the resolutions themselves, so you can see what has been cropped and what has maximum resolution.

Last edited:

Anotherusr

Sep 29, 2017
Visit site
Maybe the key point that's confusing here is that there's a lot of zooming in & out happening in these steps, in addition to cropping.

The phone's camera sensor has much higher resolution than the phone's screen, in addition to a different aspect ratio. The aspect ratio is a rectangle's "shape", characterized by its width divided by its height, ignoring its size, so e.g. 6:4 is the same aspect ratio as 3:2.

So when you display the sensor's full image on the screen (by selecting 4:3 aspect ratio), it leaves bars on the sides (because of the different aspect ratios) and is also zoomed out (showing less detail) than the actual sensor image (because otherwise it wouldn't fit).

If instead you select 19:9 ("full"), the sensor image gets both cropped (leaving only a Note10-shaped chunk of the original rectangle) and again zoomed, to fit the whole screen (but the actual image still has higher resolution than its display on the screen).

A good way to understand all this is to play with it directly. Take any screen shot, and also take a photo at each of the available aspect ratios. (If possible, prop the camera up on a stand so it doesn't move between photos.) Then go look at the metadata for those images. For each one, calculate the aspect ratio from the resolution (divide the width by the height), and also compare the resolutions themselves, so you can see what has been cropped and what has maximum resolution.

That was very helpful, thank you. I will play with the ratios today or tomorrow. I downloaded a app called "image size" and that's helped with the cropping and bars, though the pictures seem a little ...not grainy persay but of a lower quality so it may be lowering resolution before printing. I'm going to try printing the same pictures from my laptop today and see how those come out. Again thank you for all the knowledge.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You don't lose resolution with jpegs.
jpg is known as lossy compression - you lose pixels, that's how the compression is done. The worse the quality you save at (the smaller file size), the more pixels you lose. RAW format is just what it says - raw. It's uncompressed - every pixel that was captured on the sensor is saved, which can result in huge files.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
jpg is known as lossy compression - you lose pixels, that's how the compression is done. The worse the quality you save at (the smaller file size), the more pixels you lose. RAW format is just what it says - raw. It's uncompressed - every pixel that was captured on the sensor is saved, which can result in huge files.

Compression is not the same as resolution. A 16 MP RAW file will still result in a 16 MP jpeg or other image format unless you specifically resize the image. Let's compare them with a hypothetical grey scale single pixel image.

In this case, let's say the jpeg compression is so aggressive that the final result is either black or white. If the sensor was picking up a grey image, it's compressed to black or white, depending on which color it's closest to.

That same hypothetical image in RAW format is still a single pixel, but you get the full grey scale spectrum to work with. When you edit for the final image, you can make that image look the same grey tone as it appeared in real life. Then you get to adjust the quality/compression of the final jpeg to maintain the grey color in the final result.

But whatever the case, the resolution never changes.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Its worth mentioning that a JPG has already been processed by the camera's software so any further post processing is limited compared to RAW.
I don't bother to shoot RAW with a smart device. Too time consuming if you take a lot of photos.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Compression is not the same as resolution. A 16 MP RAW file will still result in a 16 MP jpeg or other image format unless you specifically resize the image.
Part of JPEG's compression algorithm is to combine adjacent pixels that are the same, and that can result in a loss of resolution. Compress it enough (I just compressed a 15KB file to 5.7KB and it's just about unusable) and you can lose enough resolution that you can't tell what you're looking at.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Part of JPEG's compression algorithm is to combine adjacent pixels that are the same, and that can result in a loss of resolution. Compress it enough (I just compressed a 15KB file to 5.7KB and it's just about unusable) and you can lose enough resolution that you can't tell what you're looking at.

Look at the details of the photo and compare the resolution details. They will be identical to the original photo.

The way jpeg compression works is basically by averaging the pixels out, not remove them. Having a block of pixels with the same info is not a loss of resolution. It's a loss of detail.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

Rukbat is correct. That "loss" comes from saving a jpeg image at high compression. The jpegs coming off of the camera are what the camera's resolution was set to at the time of capture. Don't confuse saving a jpeg using an image editing program like Photoshop with the how the camera saves a photo after capture.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The jpegs coming off of the camera are what the camera's resolution was set to at the time of capture.

That is not an aspect of basic jpeg compression, though. That's image resizing, and is accomplished as its own separate edit, then exported in whatever file type you select. Setting a lower resolution in the camera app is just automating the process along with the compression.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Exactly. My smartphone saves in JPG and DSLR only saves in RAW.
I used to save in both formats but honestly the tech behind DSLR software processing is pretty good even if we go back several years. If you need a special effect, that's a different ball game

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I used to save in both formats but honestly the tech behind DSLR software processing is pretty good even if we go back several years. If you need a special effect, that's a different ball game

Yeah I agree. I used to save in both formats as well. But I really like doing my own editing so I just stuck with RAW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayleepalmer90