Stock HTC voice dialer?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Is there supposed to be an HTC voice dialer on the M8? The Google app is so-so because it treats voice dialing as a general search. Even when using my Bluetooth and initiating via the activation button, Google still sometimes opens a search result page instead of searching my contacts only. I only use my Bluetooth for calls and don't care for voice searching the internet, Google Now turned off, have "Ok Google" detection turned off, and always prompt it by saying "Call..." but I haven't found a way to limit Google to ONLY function for calls. I know it's hearing me right by the text read out it displays. I tried disabling Google Search all together, thinking maybe it was set as a default and preventing access to an HTC dialer, but that left me with no voice dialing at all. Plus if the screen is off, it asks me to confirm every voice call request and it's mildly annoying.

My last phone had its own voice dialer independent of Google that worked only with calls and was hoping for something like that on the M8. If there isn't one, can anyone recommend a good third party voice dialer?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I saw your edit now, and no that wouldn't work. When I'm driving, I have to use Bluetooth/hands free or face a $2700 fine if caught using the handset, and potentially loose my job. So I need to be able to hit the one button on my headset to activate voice dialing with its mic.

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I saw your edit now, and no that wouldn't work. When I'm driving, I have to use Bluetooth/hands free or face a $2700 fine if caught using the handset, and potentially loose my job. So I need to be able to hit the one button on my headset to activate voice dialing with its mic.
Well my question is, have you tried it at all, so you can set up HTC Speak? Once you set it up, it may be possible to enable it for the use you desire (though that is merely speculation).

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Well Google Search had an update. The upside is initiating a call via Bluetooth seems to bring up a dedicated voice dial function. The bad part is it's still Google powered, and the accuracy sucks.

Too bad I can't port my old Motorola voice dialer app over. It was near flawless accuracy and didn't require the "ok" verification after every voice input.

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
In HTC's Car app, you only have to tap the phone with 3 fingers to bring up HTC Speak. That really isn't any different than pressing a headset button, imo. It does work.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chao