Stock Messaging App questions

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I know the answer to these questions is probably "NO, use XXX from the play store", but just want to make sure before I give up.

1. Can you change the stock messaging app to default to "reply only to sender" instead of "reply to all"? It seems the only way to do this is to long press the message and hit reply to sender. Yesterday, I mistakenly replied to a message sent out to a group of people and saw the "Individual Messages" tab and thought that would reply only to sender. Luckily it was not important because it obviously went to everyone.

2. It seems the messaging app divides threads/conversations by recipient list -- not by sender. Is there anyway to thread it by sender only, regardless of who else is on the recipient list? I find it super annoying that I can't click on one person's name and see all of that person's messages to me, since anything that person sent to me and others is in a different thread, maybe even multiple threads.

Thanks.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I know the answer to these questions is probably "NO, use XXX from the play store", but just want to make sure before I give up.

1. Can you change the stock messaging app to default to "reply only to sender" instead of "reply to all"? It seems the only way to do this is to long press the message and hit reply to sender. Yesterday, I mistakenly replied to a message sent out to a group of people and saw the "Individual Messages" tab and thought that would reply only to sender. Luckily it was not important because it obviously went to everyone.

2. It seems the messaging app divides threads/conversations by recipient list -- not by sender. Is there anyway to thread it by sender only, regardless of who else is on the recipient list? I find it super annoying that I can't click on one person's name and see all of that person's messages to me, since anything that person sent to me and others is in a different thread, maybe even multiple threads.

Thanks.

The answer to both is no. I use the "individual messages" tab to message back to the sender all the time I haven't ever had an issue with it. But that's my experience. You should look into handcent or GoSMS. Both are more than adequate and I believe they do both of the things you listed.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I use the "individual messages" tab to message back to the sender all the time I haven't ever had an issue with it.

Be careful, as I understand (and have seen with experience) it does reply back to the sender, but the message also goes to everyone else as well. Its just that no one will be able to see the whole recipient list on your message (kind of like a BCC on email).

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Be careful, as I understand (and have seen with experience) it does reply back to the sender, but the message also goes to everyone else as well. Its just that no one will be able to see the whole recipient list on your message (kind of like a BCC on email).

Thanks. I'll have to test that

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

Thanks.

the easist way to avoid any problems with a group message it to compose a new message directly to the sender and avoid the group message all together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanostu7