Storage settings? Miscellaneous files?what 6 gb?

kentrol72

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad this is being discussed. I have had over 8GB out of 10 used and couldnt figure out why. I have Astro fime manager and have been moving files especially music and pictures over to the external storage. Reading this thread I went back to the factory file manager and looked into the internal music files. 2.4GBs of files where there most of which I know I have moved before using Astro. I moved the files to the external card and I am now down to 6GB out of 10

Posted via Android Central App

Limo Design

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
ok so what if I deleted files without checking them and now that i open up certain apps like music player or hide it pro or downloads s memo among others, they are not there!! Is there a way to recuperate these misc. files i accidentally deleted??? Please help me... I have been searching on the web and everyone suggests to upload backup/restore apps, but they do not work with the galaxy s3 as when it is plugged in, its not recognized as a mass storage mode, which doesnt allow me to open the phones card up.. oh yeah the misc. files are not saved to the sd card, they are saved to the phones card ...thanks :- \:' :)confused:

Believe it or not, check the USB cable you are using. Some of them only work for charging while others work for charging and file transfer.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Last week I rooted using the Casual file to root and unlock my bootloader. I just happened to check my device storage and it went to only 3.1 gb left of available space! I think I had something like just under 6 gb available memory before rooting. When I happened to check the other day and saw how little space I had left, I clicked on the miscellanous Files (it was over 11gb by the way) and the largest file was my Twrp app/files. So since I rooted just to avoid the 4.3 update, I decided the update was the lesser of two evils and unrooted and flashed back to stock 4.1.2. Now i'm back to having just over 9 gb of available space on my phone and that is more important to me. Another reason why I prefer for my next phone to be at least 32gb, like my GS 3 was.

IRussell273

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Just thought i should add a solution for those worried about this misc folder size, its actually in most cases simply cached media from apps like instagram, facebook and twitter in order to save users data plans from a beating they cache videos directly on to the device ready to play the next time. I have just looked and my misc file size was at 2.4gb so i went to apps into instagram and its cache size was surprise surprise 2.4 gb i cleared that and my misc file size has dropped down in to the Kb.

horsegal13

May 26, 2014
Visit site
But what if I did delete a file, and now my tablet won't download anything. What do I do???? Will some one please help me?:'(

I'm not allowed to download anything that costs money, and I was trying to change the default storage settings because all the apps I tried to download were saying that. What do I do to fix that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Manky Boy

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a couple of large apps, Injustice, etc and have moved them to the sd card. The problem is that I'd you follow where the data is, they're still on the internal memory of the phone. I think there may be a bit of an error there.
Anyway, my misc storage is up around 7gb full but when I total it all up it comes out at just over 1gb. I've tried clearing the cache, and factory reset but nothing is helping. Think I'm just going to have to be more selective with what I install.

Posted via Android Central App

Wesley Ooms

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
Same problems here. On my note2 almost 6GB in use for the OS. Totally unacceptable. I'm trying to regain some memory by uninstalling apps. I have a handfull of custom apps occupying a few mb's while in the meantime i have dozens of crap apps that are forced upon me and a giant OS. It's like shaving an elephant to save some weight. I have no music or vids on the phone.

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Flash an aokp rom
As it seems you all are doing everything else right.

As for the games on op
Some games have data in an obb folder on the internal memory, like final fantasy iv, even if you move the apk which is like 4mb, this data stays where it is. And needs to stay.

Aokp roms are very modded and very small as they have no touchwiz or bloat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited by a moderator:

bklizard

May 4, 2011
Visit site
So, I've been using a free utility called Clean Master on my rooted device and it seemed to have freed up 90% of the junk. I like doing this rather than randomly deleting stuff I might need. Freed up almost 4GB

NncyM

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I did this before. Deleted even the files that are still installed in my device. That's when certain apps started to messed up. I end up factory resetting my phone. Deleting those that are already uninstalled doesn't have a problem though.

Taline Petrousian

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I had this issue and deleted almost every app, picture, or video but nothing helped until I actually went to My Files -> Android -> Data and selected all from that Data folder and deleted. I have had no issues with any of my apps and that out of space error is not showing anymore.

Note: I was so frustrated that I didn't care about deleting everything in that folder, because my next step was to format my phone to its original setting and erase everything. But thankfully that delete all didn't break anything on my phone, but you can review those files if you want before deleting.

Khurram Rizvi

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
MYSTERY RESOLVED****MYSTERY RESOLVED****MYSTERY RESOLVED

OK After going through lot of stuff and by combining I finally managaed to free up my miscellaneous space on tab 3 from $ GB to 163 MB.

Step 1. Install disk usage
Step 2 Install Solid Explorer
Step 3 Launch Disk Usage
Step 4 I found a subfolder named obbo under Andriod folder which was teh culprit.
Step 5 I reviewed the files and found that they were related to some previous uninstalled games finally I deleted all of them.

and wooohooo My free space got 4 GB from 165 MB . Thansk u All for your comments & support.

partyliz

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I had this issue and deleted almost every app, picture, or video but nothing helped until I actually went to My Files -> Android -> Data and selected all from that Data folder and deleted. I have had no issues with any of my apps and that out of space error is not showing anymore.

Note: I was so frustrated that I didn't care about deleting everything in that folder, because my next step was to format my phone to its original setting and erase everything. But thankfully that delete all didn't break anything on my phone, but you can review those files if you want before deleting.

I too had tried just about everything, even found a hidden sub folder with duplicates of all my Dropbox files and tried removing that to no avail. Finally I tried Taline's suggestion above and deleted the contents of Android -> Data, and that did it! My Applications data storage went from 10gb down to 2.7gb. Still stuck with over 5gb "miscellaneous files" and suspect it may be my synced Dropbox files, but at least my phone has some breathing room again.