Strange Droid maxx camera issue

catkeepr

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Wednesday evening, I noticed that screen touches weren't registering as they should so since I had not restarted the device for awhile I did a power on/off.

When the device restarted, the camera came up. After that, any movement of the device, no matter how slight caused the camera to load.
I couldn't turn the phone off, every move I made caused the camera to continuously reload. I finally found that if I put the device on a flat surface and held it perfectly still I could get it turned off.
Yesterday, after putting it on the table, holding it perfectly still, I was able to do a factory reset, but during the startup wizard process, I had the same issue, every movement, no matter how slight, caused the camera to constantly reload.
Rather than call Verizon and try to explain this strangeness over the phone, I took the device to the local corporate store so I could show this to someone. After about a thirty minute wait, I showed the situation to the rep who agreed they had never encountered this issue before and even she was having some difficulty trying to write it up.
In any event, I have a replacement device on the way. Just thought I would post it here in case anyone else came across the same issue, at least it has been reported to Verizon once so it should now be a known issue.
Guess that's what happens when motion sensors go rogue!

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

jbeachy

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
You said you did a power off cycle - not sure if you meant a reboot cycle. If you haven't done that, at least give it a try. Hold the Power and Volume Up keys together for several seconds until it reboots.

Posted via Android Central App with my Droid MAXX

rlmesq

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
You said you did a power off cycle - not sure if you meant a reboot cycle. If you haven't done that, at least give it a try. Hold the Power and Volume Up keys together for several seconds until it reboots.

Isn't a reboot the same thing as powering off & on, without a complete shutdown in between?

jbeachy

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Isn't a reboot the same thing as powering off & on, without a complete shutdown in between?

No it is not the same. Rebooting refreshes cached information and resets services. There are other differences but I'm not an Android geek and can't elaborate them all :)

Posted via Android Central App with my Droid MAXX

catkeepr

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I did do a reboot and in the shop the first thing the rep did was reboot.
As stated in the original post, I have another device coming, this post was informative in nature.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk