Strange hidden app (com.android.shell) on my phone?

Sealcereal

Jul 2, 2018
Visit site
My device is a Android mini and my virus scanner found this suspicious app this morning. I stopped it from running but I can't seem to remove it.

Any help is appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-07-02-08-29-18.png
    Screenshot_2018-07-02-08-29-18.png
    169.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_2018-07-02-08-28-23.png
    Screenshot_2018-07-02-08-28-23.png
    109.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
My device is a Android mini and my virus scanner found this suspicious app this morning. I stopped it from running but I can't seem to remove it.

Any help is appreciated
I believe that it is malware. But, I can't offer you any removal advice.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Any help is appreciated

Welcome to the forums. I've checked in three different phones and SHELL shows up as a system app in all of them. I wouldn't worry about it.

Luninilu

Jul 3, 2018
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. I've checked in three different phones and SHELL shows up as a system app in all of them. I wouldn't worry about it.

Thank you for checking. I had the exact same problem today with my phone. I wonder why it gets flagged as a threat...

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for checking. I had the exact same problem today with my phone. I wonder why it gets flagged as a threat...

Well, malware indices do get false positives. I remember an issue years ago when Avira was deleting Warcraft 3 off my computer because it thought it was a virus. -_-

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Shell is the "command prompt" for Linux, which is the operating system Android runs on. If you connect the phone to a PC that has a driver for that manufacturer's phones installed, and type

adb shell

you'll be in the phone's command prompt. (It would have been nicer if they had named it for the shell they took it from, bash, tcsh, ksh, etc.)

Nikto_125

Mar 10, 2022
Visit site
The souspicious app that you have found is a shell. the shell is a developer option: if you aren't a Developer, don't touch that app.

edenace

Oct 17, 2023
Visit site
Thats perfectly normal, im curious on how to access mine. Ether ways its normal, its installed by Android for devs, service, and more. The anti-virus might be concerned because you could do that. Its essential to your OS.

darkghostlex

Mar 22, 2024
Visit site
The issue is not shell itself, it's a common app however looking at the app permissions is why its coming up as flagged. If you have a problem then you'll have suspicious commands.