Strange problem with ZenWatch 2

imarek3

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed the watch vibrate and thinking that I have a notification, I will touch the watch face and when the screen comes on I see that the watch I'd on the screen to change the watch face. I have had this happen multiple times a day and I can't figure out why it is doing that. Anyone experience this?

Posted via the Android Central App

Damn_Smooth

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Weird. Fortunately, I haven't had that issue. It will bring the watchface selector up if I press on the screen, but I haven't seen it do it on its own.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I have noticed the watch vibrate and thinking that I have a notification, I will touch the watch face and when the screen comes on I see that the watch I'd on the screen to change the watch face. I have had this happen multiple times a day and I can't figure out why it is doing that. Anyone experience this?

Are you holding your finger on the screen when you feel it vibrate. That is how your supposed to be able to get quick access to the watch face changer. If you want to just bring up the display then all you need to do is a quick soft tap to the screen.

imarek3

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Are you holding your finger on the screen when you feel it vibrate. That is how your supposed to be able to get quick access to the watch face changer. If you want to just bring up the display then all you need to do is a quick soft tap to the screen.

No, the screen will be off and I am not touching it when it vibrates.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
No, the screen will be off and I am not touching it when it vibrates.

If you go into your phone settings and the notification area (on my HTC One M8 running Lollipop its called "sound & notification" if you scroll down to "Notification access" and click on it do you have anything besides "Android Wear" checked? If so I recommend unchecking every thing except Android Wear, and see if the problem goes away. One of the other notification access items (ex: ZenWatch Manager if you have that installed) may be causing a conflict or the problem you are experiencing. (Since ZenWatch Manager has a strong tie to watch faces I wouldn't be surprised if that is related to the problem).

imarek3

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
If you go into your phone settings and the notification area (on my HTC One M8 running Lollipop its called "sound & notification" if you scroll down to "Notification access" and click on it do you have anything besides "Android Wear" checked? If so I recommend unchecking every thing except Android Wear, and see if the problem goes away. One of the other notification access items (ex: ZenWatch Manager if you have that installed) may be causing a conflict or the problem you are experiencing. (Since ZenWatch Manager has a strong tie to watch faces I wouldn't be surprised if that is related to the problem).

I have an AT&T Note 5 with Android 5.1.1, the only thing that I see under "Sound and notifications" similar to what you are pointing me to is "App Notifications" - "Allow or block notifications from individual apps". I don't think you are understanding what my problem is, let me try to break it down for you:
1) I do not have the watch set to always on, screen timeout is 10 seconds
2) At random times during the day, my watch with vibrate like I am getting a message.
3) I look at the screen and it is off, if I had gotten a notification, the screen should have been on.
4) I touch the screen to turn it on and I see the watch face selection app as if I had long press the watch face

This happened 2 or 3 times last night when we were out to dinner and was very annoying.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I have an AT&T Note 5 with Android 5.1.1, the only thing that I see under "Sound and notifications" similar to what you are pointing me to is "App Notifications" - "Allow or block notifications from individual apps". I don't think you are understanding what my problem is, let me try to break it down for you:
1) I do not have the watch set to always on, screen timeout is 10 seconds
2) At random times during the day, my watch with vibrate like I am getting a message.
3) I look at the screen and it is off, if I had gotten a notification, the screen should have been on.
4) I touch the screen to turn it on and I see the watch face selection app as if I had long press the watch face

This happened 2 or 3 times last night when we were out to dinner and was very annoying.

I understand what you say your problem is, so I think you are the one misunderstanding. I'm saying what you think is vibrations indicating a message is vibrations signifying something different. I believe your watch is vibrating to tell you something other than a message, and that the vibration notification may be sent from something other than the Android Wear app. The fact that you have always on switched off should have no baring. Since the Asus ZenWatch app has a connection to the watch face area on the phone there is a chance it could be the thing notifying you (not the Android Wear app, not your text messages, not your missed/incoming calls). Since you're using 5.1.1 (on your phone, right? - you're not looking at the area for version information on your watch, right?), on AT&T, and using a Samsung Note 5 your Notification Access area may be different than mine. (I'm running 5.0.1 not 5.1.1, I'm on Verizon not AT&T, and I'm on an HTC One m8). Try looking in Settings > Security, and see if you have Notification Access there.

What you are looking for is "Notification Access" not "App Notification". I've included screen captures from my phone below:
Screenshot_2015-10-26-12-59-45.jpg
As shown above is what you want is for it to read below the Notification Access is that only one app (for this troubleshooting test - that will be Android Wear) has notification access.
Screenshot_2015-10-26-12-59-52.jpg
The above is what it should look like when you click to open the Notification Access area.

matthew2926

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
The watch also vibrates when you hold the watch face for a second in order to change to a new watch face. The vibrate is probably signifying that you have entered the watch face selection screen. As to why it is entering this screen without you touching it is the real issue...

imarek3

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I understand what you say your problem is, so I think you are the one misunderstanding. I'm saying what you think is vibrations indicating a message is vibrations signifying something different. I believe your watch is vibrating to tell you something other than a message, and that the vibration notification may be sent from something other than the Android Wear app. The fact that you have always on switched off should have no baring. Since the Asus ZenWatch app has a connection to the watch face area on the phone there is a chance it could be the thing notifying you (not the Android Wear app, not your text messages, not your missed/incoming calls). Since you're using 5.1.1 (on your phone, right? - you're not looking at the area for version information on your watch, right?), on AT&T, and using a Samsung Note 5 your Notification Access area may be different than mine. (I'm running 5.0.1 not 5.1.1, I'm on Verizon not AT&T, and I'm on an HTC One m8). Try looking in Settings > Security, and see if you have Notification Access there.

What you are looking for is "Notification Access" not "App Notification". I've included screen captures from my phone below:
View attachment 203150
As shown above is what you want is for it to read below the Notification Access is that only one app (for this troubleshooting test - that will be Android Wear) has notification access.
View attachment 203149
The above is what it should look like when you click to open the Notification Access area.

Yes, the phone is on 5.1.1 and the setting that you are wanting me to look at is in the following area: Settings > Personal > Lock screen and security > Other security settings > Notification access.

Here is my setting for this.

Interesting enough, it did not do it once today.

Attachments

• 6079.jpg
    6079.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 68

imarek3

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
As to why it is entering this screen without you touching it is the real issue...

That is the real question, it has happened several days in a row, but not today.

I even went into the watch face selection screen and let the display timeout to see if that would cause the watch to vibrate at some point. To prove that it didn't go into that screen before it timed out. The watch did not vibrate, so the experiment was bust.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
That is the real question, it has happened several days in a row, but not today.

Have you had any reoccurance of the problem?
I was experimenting with different watch faces, and watch face bundles yesterday morning. Later in the day I noticed my watch was vibrating for no apparent reason at odd times. This morning I came across the page linked below.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-wear/GM9B-ahTStA

Turns out that I had installed the "Wear Collection" which people had noted as causing the problem (among other watch face collections). You don't even need to have a watch face from that collection active to have it occur. I haven't had the problem since uninstalling the collection. (Guess I better pay more attention to which apps I give vibration permission (as well as other permissions) to.) If you've had the problem reoccurring since your last post, and you've got watch face apps aside from the basic Android Wear ones and the ZenWatch Manager ones try uninstalling them and see if that makes a difference. You can go back later and reinstall one at a time, and see on a case by case basis if it starts up again. (I recommend avoiding any that say they want permission to the vibration function).

imarek3

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
It has not happened since those couple of days and I was using one of the watch faces in the ZenWatch Manager app. I don't have any extra watch faces installed.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
It has not happened since those couple of days and I was using one of the watch faces in the ZenWatch Manager app. I don't have any extra watch faces installed.
Then it sounds like the watch faces weren't your problem, and now that a few days have gone by without you encountering the problem again I'm guessing something changed that fixed your issue.
The thing that surprised people about the watch face issue was that they could be using a standard watch face (not one of the ones installed by "Wear Collection") and the issue would still occur. Simply having the Wear Collection app installed was enough to cause the problem and have it interfere when using completely unrelated watch faces like the default Android Wear ones or ZenWatch Manager ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance