Stuck on 4.2.2 Verizon

mhellesen

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I bought a moto x a few days ago from Verizon and haven't been able to update from the original software load. Neither Verizon or Motorola support can figure it out. They replaced the phone and the new one has the same problem. I consistently get an unexpected error occurred when I check for updates. On phone with moto support they said the phone shows it is up to date when they check it remotely and the MDM also says there are no available updates. The about screen tells a different story however. Anyone else had this problem? The phone is not rooted or changed from stock. I was tempted to drop the 4.4.4 update on and flash it using standard recovery but I saw a note saying you had to be on the most recent update to do that without bricking.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Posted via Android Central App

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
4.4.4 is getting pushed out now. Shouldn't be too long before you get it I would think.

mhellesen

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Yeah that's the rub unfortunately. Verizon had guessed I was stuck on 4.2.2 because they froze the whole moto x update pipe while they looked at the battery thing in 4.4.4. But if updates are rolling out now you'd think it would push me 4.3 or something at least.

I still get that unexpected error when I try to ota so it looks like I'll have to flash it the hard way. I wish I could find someone else who bought one in the last week to see if they've had this issue since this is the second phone that's done it. At this point though I'll do anything to get off 4.2.2. When I get home from work I'll read through the directions and flash it I guess. I still want to know why Motorola is reading it as updated already.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah that's the rub unfortunately. Verizon had guessed I was stuck on 4.2.2 because they froze the whole moto x update pipe while they looked at the battery thing in 4.4.4. But if updates are rolling out now you'd think it would push me 4.3 or something at least.

I still get that unexpected error when I try to ota so it looks like I'll have to flash it the hard way. I wish I could find someone else who bought one in the last week to see if they've had this issue since this is the second phone that's done it. At this point though I'll do anything to get off 4.2.2. When I get home from work I'll read through the directions and flash it I guess. I still want to know why Motorola is reading it as updated already.

I don't think there was a 4.3 on vzw Moto X.The 4.3 update was skipped on the vzw Moto X ,instead went to 4.4
If your still stuck on 4.2.2 you might have to follow the instructions on how to manually update from 4.2.2 to 4.4.4.It sounds from reading your post that you have already read how to do it manually

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't think there was a 4.3 on vzw Moto X.The 4.3 update was skipped on the vzw Moto X ,instead went to 4.4
If your still stuck on 4.2.2 you might have to follow the instructions on how to manually update from 4.2.2 to 4.4.4.It sounds from reading your post that you have already read how to do it manually

Correct - no 4.3 for the VZW Moto X officially.

mhellesen

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone. The great irony here is that I have a perfectly good S4 that's all updated sitting on my desk. I bought the X for the pure android and ease of updating since I missed my old galaxy nexus. Oh well! This'll work and I'll be back on track. The moto lady thought I was crazy until I sent her a screen shot of the about phone page.

Josh Sacks

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I've stuck with the same issue. I've received 3 different Verizon Dev Ed. MotoX's from Motorola and they all had this issue.
My best guess is that think they are flashing with 4.4.X, but something in the factory is misconfigured and they are actually flashing 4.2.2.
When the phone calls home for OTA, Moto thinks it's already running 4.4.X which confuses the OTA software which then crashes.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm still stuck on 4.4.2. Any reason for this? All previous updates have been pushed to me pretty much the same day after the announcement.
Thanks

Edit: all stock, un-rooted