Supposed Galaxy S IV leak resurfaces in high-res pics, lists more features and specs!

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
This DOES speak to the quality of Samsung plastic.

A leaked story with what MIGHT be a pre-production model where someone claims the back is cracked (I can't find pics or video that shows this, maybe someone else can) speaks to the quality of Samsung plastic? That's an interesting take on things.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
A leaked story with what MIGHT be a pre-production model where someone claims the back is cracked (I can't find pics or video that shows this, maybe someone else can) speaks to the quality of Samsung plastic? That's an interesting take on things.

The picture of the crack can be seen via the link in the OP's post.

infinity12402

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
We posted at around the same time, but I completely agree with you. It would be stupid to get rid of a design that works, especially when they're going to be forced to overhaul it next year since the SV will probably have a flexible display. Three different design languages for three different years would have been brand recognition hell. Samsung clearly wants people to see a their phones and think "Oh, hey. That's a Samsung phone." And, if you think about it, there wasn't a radical design change between the Galaxy S and SII. So it only makes sense that there wouldn't be between the S3 and S4.

this, to you and the previous poster. i see people complain about the design being relatively unchanged every time another iteration of a phone is released, and every time i ask, "what exactly would you like to see changed about the design?" no one ever has an answer....

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
The picture of the crack can be seen via the link in the OP's post.

I'm not seeing it, but I trust you. Still means nothing, who the heck knows what was done to this phone prior to the pics/vids being posted. We should all know better than that by now, right?

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm not seeing it, but I trust you. Still means nothing, who the heck knows what was done to this phone prior to the pics/vids being posted. We should all know better than that by now, right?

If you zoom in on the image of the back, the crack appears to run from the micro usb to the headphone jack.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

chris2k5

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why a company has to completely overhaul the device in order for it to be considered a change. This is a complete upgrade from the S3, bigger battery, better screen, thinner, faster processor, new gimmick features, better camera. What else do you expect them to change...?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

The design...?

Samsung has let the success get to their head. They think consumers are just plain stupid now? You can't sell a 1 year old design in 2013.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
If you zoom in on the image of the back, the crack appears to run from the micro usb to the headphone jack.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

Yep, I can see it. To me, this means absolutely nothing. For all we know, someone stepped on the back as it was lying on the floor, or someone was asked to bend it and see if they could crack it, or an elephant used it as a play toy. Or maybe this isn't even the real phone anyway. I know people like to go all ranty and ravy about Samsung and their continued use of plastic, but come on, this is a non-issue considering the phone has not even been released yet. But maybe that's just me talking crazy. :p

Chris8414

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Bigger Battery???? 2600mAh battery???? the S3 is 2100mAH battery. Which means if I buy an S4 Ill still have to charge it every 10-12 hours after moderate use. Your only looking at maybe 10% more battery in the S4 than the S3

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Way to single out one line of my reply. I did say that the production version should be better.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
this, to you and the previous poster. i see people complain about the design being relatively unchanged every time another iteration of a phone is released, and every time i ask, "what exactly would you like to see changed about the design?" no one ever has an answer....

So go all the way and keep the design exactly the same so people won't have to buy all new accessories.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Your really going to down a phone due to a preproduction test model having a cracked back. Seems like saying a phone is bad because a preproduction test model has bugs. And other than open gl 3.0 the sgx544mp3 is far superior to the 320. Have you actually looked at benchmarks between the two the iPhone 5 beats the 320 in a lot of test. Then when you consider this will be clocked 300mhz higher and has a higher memory bandwidth. Other than using less power due to not running a15 cores. The s600 is inferior

The 320 from the S600? Clockspeed is different.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I think the 2600mAh battery should provide good battery life due to the more efficient screen and the more efficient processor. I'm expecting 5 hours of screen on time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

infinity12402

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
So go all the way and keep the design exactly the same so people won't have to buy all new accessories.

ok well there you go. i have no problem one way or the other. i dont honestly care what the phone looks like. ive never went out and bought, or not bought a phone because of the way it looked. i look at the specs and what it does. but everyone always complains when it looks the same or almost the same.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

HTC, Motorola, LG, Sony, Google (Nexus), etc, all change designs with each new phone they release as well, even if the changes are minor. Every Nexus device has been different from the last one. If they weren't different, think of all the web design folks who would lose their jobs maintaining the "Accessories" sections all over the intrawebs!

MAXXTX

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I could care less about how plastically it is Im putting a case on it regardless, Specs are great compared to about 95% of the current smartphones available right now so Im definatly a buyer of 2 of these

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps this has been discussed before, but why oh why is it being called a "4.99 inch" display? Why not just a "5 inch display"? The difference between the two is so negligible -- I mean, really, measuring in inches on a ruler, you usually don't get smaller divisions than 1/16th of an inch or maybe 1/32nd, and this is between 1/64th and 1/128th of inch (closer to the later). That's ridiculous. Nobody's going to call them out for false advertisement on a 1/100th of an inch (aka basically a quarter of a millimeter) difference.

If that is the case it's probably more of marketing than anything. Just like the effect of pricing stuff a $4.99 instead of $5.00 as on an individual. By keeping it under 5 inches (technically) it makes people believe this is still in the smartphone class, not a note 2 or other "phablet". I agree with you but I think it has an effect of some people's perception.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I recently bought the note 2 so won't be getting this. However, if the leak is correct it's a little disappointing to be fair. Seems a bit of a powerhouse but im not keen on the 2600mah battery with such a large screen. Either way it will be a great phone but not really much of an upgrade.

Will I get a new update to receive new features like apple do with their devices?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

The screen isn't much bigger than the S3 and the S3 stock battery is 2100. This would seem like an improvement, relationally anyway.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The only thing they're really keeping is the design language, which has just (in the last probably 6-8 months) caught on. It's a little tired to S3 owners, but for everyone else it's not outdated. Everything else is updated. The screen is better (Apple has hardly changed its Retina display since it first appeared), the processor is much improved with better battery efficiency, the battery is larger, the camera is better, and there are some new software implementations. Just because the design language is the same doesn't mean it isn't a worthy upgrade. Plus, it doesn't make sense for Samsung to make huge changes to the visuals of TouchWiz when they'll probably overhaul it with the Key Lime Pie upgrade that will come a few months after the announcement to the S4. If I had an S3, I'd be salivating for the S4.

This is no different than the 4 to the 4s.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2