T-Mobile Galaxy S8 Swapped my service to a second S8; now Find My Device doesn't recognize it.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I own two Galaxy S8 handsets. Although it may seem like a pointless exercise, I had good reasons for wanting to switch my service from one to the other, mainly because the one I had been using up until then had some screen damage mainly from exposure to water. The screen still displays OK, but there's an ugly stain under the screen protector, of the approximate shape of northeastern Afghanistan. Due to cracks in the screen protector and probably the screen itself, I can't even take an alcohol wipe to it without risking the screen becoming disabled for several days.

While the damaged phone was still in active service, I would use the "Find My Device" app on the other phone when I needed to locate it. Using that other phone, Find My Device would show both phones, i.e. "this phone - in your hand" and the other phone that I was looking for. But now that I have swapped the phones, if I run Find My Device on the damaged phone, that phone shows itself only.

How do I get Find My Device to show both phones?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to myaccount.google.com, then Security, then Manage All Devices. Do you see both S8s there?

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Go to myaccount.google.com, then Security, then Manage All Devices. Do you see both S8s there?

Frankly it's difficult to tell. It lists several incarnations of the phone by the model number, and I can't tell which is which. There's also a listing of a "Dark Penguin's Galaxy s8", but nowhere do I see anything listed under the names that I assigned to the devices under About Phone.

ETA: Apparently "Dark Penguin's Galaxy Phone" is the old screen damaged device, which is "Dark Penguin's Old Galaxy S8" under About Phone. Despite it not being in service, the Find My Device app can ring it.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
On the new S8, go to the Device Administrators menu in the system settings and see if Find My Device (the Google one, not the Samsung Find My Mobile) is turned on.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
On the new S8, go to the Device Administrators menu in the system settings and see if Find My Device (the Google one, not the Samsung Find My Mobile) is turned on.

I turned it on, but it still doesn't work. I also found the "Send Last Location" setting and turned that on as well, but still no dice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34