SwiftKey vs Standard Nexus 5 Keyboard

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
What do you guys think about the Fleksy keyboard? Currently my main keyboard and it's quite nice, not perfect but getting there, it hasn't got swype capabilities which I miss the most but then again this keyboard cannot have swype capabilities because of the way it functions, other than that it needs to improve the prediction software as sometimes it is just barbaric! It is however the BEST looking keyboard out there, period! Especially on the nexus 5

Posted via Android Central App

Fleksy is definitely on my radar. I'm interested to see where they go with it. As you said, it is missing swiping/gesturing capabilities, and that, in my opinion, is a big loss to users and Fleksy themselves. With so much of the competition offering swiping/gesturing (including Google's own stock keyboard), not having it just doesn't feel acceptable. Swiping/gesturing is particularly useful during one handed use (much faster than single-handed thumb tapping).

I agree with you that the UI of Fleksy is gorgeous, so it'd be a shame if they couldn't find a way to integrate swipe/gesture typing.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
People that like Swifkey think it is one of the best app they have. I had a friend that I told her about SwiftKey said she doesn't see anything different with it after two months. I looked and she had never opened up the SwiftKey App to even set it up for input. Now she likes it.

Ice_Cold_Q

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Fleksy is definitely on my radar. I'm interested to see where they go with it. As you said, it is missing swiping/gesturing capabilities, and that, in my opinion, is a big loss to users and Fleksy themselves. With so much of the competition offering swiping/gesturing (including Google's own stock keyboard), not having it just doesn't feel acceptable. Swiping/gesturing is particularly useful during one handed use (much faster than single-handed thumb tapping).

I agree with you that the UI of Fleksy is gorgeous, so it'd be a shame if they couldn't find a way to integrate swipe/gesture typing.

Yeah swype feature is big, can't go without it, sometimes its just soo convenient and then typing on fleksy feels slow and frustrating, I keep switching between stock and fleksy, tried out swiftkey and swype keyboard, they're okay but nothing spectacular. Stock does it just as good but I am looking for the best swype featured keyboard which I know SwiftKey ain't a contender on that one and I can't decide between stock and swype keyboard on which one is truly better.....?

zulu308

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I like swiftkey for quick punctuations, change the ms for long press, and prediction engine. For simple words, it is good but when you start typing some complicated words or medical terms, it isn't that great.

Other than that, I like the stock keyboard as well.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Physical keyboard(software keyboards can never keep up with me) or voice type is all I use but I guess I have a good speaking voice because I never have trouble with it understanding me and I don't have to yell at it.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah swype feature is big, can't go without it, sometimes its just soo convenient and then typing on fleksy feels slow and frustrating, I keep switching between stock and fleksy, tried out swiftkey and swype keyboard, they're okay but nothing spectacular. Stock does it just as good but I am looking for the best swype featured keyboard which I know SwiftKey ain't a contender on that one and I can't decide between stock and swype keyboard on which one is truly better.....?

For swiping swype is clearly the winner. Once you learn all its gestures and tricks its the best. Like when you want to get double letters like "too" you can just squiggle a bit on the letters "o" to get it.

Check out all the tricks. For pure swiping shape takes the cake easily if you ask me.

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
There are a bunch of different keyboards. The beauty of Android. The fail of iOS. Fleksy looks boring to me but i havent tried it. Anyone try Multiling Keyboard? Its in its Beta stage still. Looks like it has some promise.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Exactly like the stock keyboard? And all other swipe keyboards AFAIK.

EDIT: You're right about the stock keyboard! It also features the "squibble" to get double letters. I did not know that. Thank you!

I'm pretty sure that feature is not available on the stock keyboard. And certain that it's not available on Swiftkey (Swiftkey, in my opinion, is the worse for swiping/gesture typing).

Not sure about others. As far as I know, only Swype allows you the control to swipe/gesture double letter words on command.

More also tips and videos for Swype here:
Swype | Swype Basics

Ice_Cold_Q

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
So I'm using Swype now and its a really nice keyboard, especially with all the little tricks that if comes which makes things just abit more seamless, might just be the first keyboard I buy

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying out the SwiftKey trial and I agree that the predictive text is much better than on the standard keyboard. One really nice thing I've found is that in Hangouts, SwiftKey has a microphone key. I can use voice entry from within Hangouts and not have to do it by starting from "OK, Google."

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying out the SwiftKey trial and I agree that the predictive text is much better than on the standard keyboard. One really nice thing I've found is that in Hangouts, SwiftKey has a microphone key. I can use voice entry from within Hangouts and not have to do it by starting from "OK, Google."

The stock keyboard does the same thing. You just have to switch on the microphone feature. You don't have to use "OK Google".

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
The stock keyboard does the same thing. You just have to switch on the microphone feature. You don't have to use "OK Google".

I wasn't aware of that. I thought it might have been an option in Hangouts. But, it turns out it's under Settings | Language & Input | Keyboard & Input Methods and then activate "Google Voice Typing." Thanks.

the gator

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Been using the SwiftKey beta which adds a numbers row plus emojis 😊. This beta is excellent and should be out soon, plus it now is for both tablet and phone.

Tvppy

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I used swiftkey on my old Xperia Play which was running android 2 or something - I forget now because I haven't used that phone in a long time.

Since having the N5 I feel no need to have SwiftKey installed as I think the Google keyboard works perfectly fine and I also think it looks much nicer and also suits the phone and android KitKat much better.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
For me at least, the Google keyboard's gesture typing is much better than that of swiftkey. With the Google keyboard, I can miss a letter or two and the guesses are still good. With swiftkey it seems I have to hit every key correctly while swiping. I ended up uninstalling the trial version.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

This is exactly why I left swiftkey after so long for Google keyboard. For me it simply allows for faster more sloppy accurate typing

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I have Swype, SwiftKey and of course the stock Google keyboard. When one is updated I switch to that and try it out. Prefer Swyping instead of typing. I've found the stock keyboard to be the best for swyping, but Swype better for me because the keys are larger. I make too many mistakes with small letter keyboards. SwiftKey is better for controlling key size and better at predictions but I don't care about prediction. Flowing with swiftkey is awful for me; letters it comes up with are always wrong. i just turned on the Swype option to learn your style from your Gmail which is what I have set on for swiftkey, so will see if there is improvement. What bothers me about all of them is that if you switch to the numeric keyboard, then have the screen timeout or if your screen rotates the keyboard returns in Alpha format. Drives me nuts. I want the developers to come up with an option to lock the numeric keyboard so it does not keep reverting back to alpha.

alexlam24

Banned
Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
One thing about swift key is that whenever you "flow", the key you hit is actually the key next to it. So if you flow "post", it actually thinks you hit oost, which it then corrects to something ridiculous.

Sent from my HTC Xperia S4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfgfg