Switching to Android, need help finding the right phone

YemSalat

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I have been a long time iPhone user, but now that I've been walking around with a broken-screen iPhone5 for a couple years - I feel the time has finally come to switch :)

What I like about iPhone 5:
- screen size

What I like about Android phones:
- everything else

So as you can see - my biggest stopping factor from switching so far has been the size of Android flagmans (they usually have 5.2+ inch screens) And the bigger screen really doesnt suite my usage patterns - I rarely watch video on my phone and I commute to work by bike and having a big phone in my pocket is not very comfortable.
I hope someone can help me combine the two categories, so I can buy my perfect Android phone :)
A few years back when I was switching from iPhone 4s I looked at Androids but the ones with smaller screens were lacking performance, so I went for iPhone 5, I hope it should not be a problem anymore.

What I am looking for in a phone:
- screen size below 4.5''
- good performance (doesnt have to be 'amazing', but browsing the web should be comfortable)
- good battery life
- SD card
- price preferably < $500

I would also prefer a phone with vanilla Android, but other vendors are fine as long as the updates come often enough.

Please let me know if you know any Android phone that suits the description above.
Thanks in advance!

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome. :)

Alas, you may not be able to find a new Android device with the qualities you list, and a screen size of less than 4.5". If you are prepared to consider used older devices, it might be different.

One of the reasons - though only one - that I like the smaller iPhones myself, is that there are so few good small Androids. The same is now true of Windows phones too.

Last edited:

YemSalat

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
Thanks! Thats not so good news for me :) unfortunately..

I was looking at Samsung Galaxy A3, but from some reviews that I read - people are saying that it has reception problems (I use 3G/4G quite a lot, so that would be an issue)
Does anyone have any experience with this phone by any chance?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
The earlier A3 was I believe a 4.5" phone, and the later one 4.7", so neither would meet your requirements.

Sent from mTalk

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
No recommendations huh?

I would just go with a 64G iPhone 5SE. In your price range you can option it out to whatever you need with all the millions of iPhone 5 aftermarket accessories.

marysfx

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Take a look at SONY compact series. Sony Xperia X Compact has 4.6" display, 3 GB RAM, Snapdragon 650 and 23 MP Camera. Sony Z5 compact is cheaper alternative, but works good.