Sync issue with Microsoft Outlook CONTACTS

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
If others running JB are getting this just fine then the issue is not directly with JB but something with your device, apps and exchange. The ONLY issue so far was the device administrators security not popping up for users after upgrade. Which caused email to stop syncing correctly. Fixed by removal of account then reinstalled.

Have you removed the account on your phone then gone to the webmail device admin and removed that device from your approved devices and then readded the account to that phone. My assumption is that you are using the default mail app still. When you add a device it gets its own profile created. If there is something device related, the directions. I gave typically worked. This may account for one phone working but not the other.

I also assume since you get email you got the device admin pop up telling you what your restrictions are. If you can screenshot the listband post maybe that will tell us something. JB is working with the restrictions now, where it wasn't on ice.

Hope some of that helps.

Exit: went back and reread your post. you are saying they run exchange 2003. So I will look into that a bit. The screenshots I mentioned may prove helpful too still.

Do you know what version of exchange your company uses?

Sent from my Xoom using Android Central Forums

Costa Flocas

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Mr. Host, you write:

"If others running JB are getting this just fine then the issue is not directly with JB but something with your device, apps and exchange."

I admit, this is logical, but how can you explain the fact that a completely different but IDENTICAL phone (also running 4.1.2) that has never connected to my account before, faces the same identical behavior, WHEREAS, at the same time, another phone on 4.0.4, which has also never before connected to my account, works fine?

"Have you removed the account on your phone then gone to the webmail device admin and removed that device from your approved devices and then readded the account to that phone."

I understand what you say completely, but the answer, unfortunately, is NO: Exchange 2003 does NOT come with this webmail device admin; you have to download it and install it on the server, as an admin, to gain this functionality. I would love to have tried that but my admins, as I said, are a bit afreaid to mess with a perfectly well working server. Of course, I can sympathize with their opinion, but it doesn't help me much.

"My assumption is that you are using the default mail app still. When you add a device it gets its own profile created. If there is something device related, the directions. I gave typically worked. This may account for one phone working but not the other."

It depends on what you mean by "default mail app still"... Not only have I removed and setup my exchange account numerous times, I've even performed, TWICE, a complete FACTORY RESET on the phone (and set up my account again, of course). You say, "if there is something device related..." and I would tend to agree with this line of thought BUT: remember that I've also tried an identical Galaxy S3 on 4.1.2 which also did NOT download the contacts. In other words, it's either that ALL Galaxy S3s on 4.1.2 have the same issue, OR that my exchange server has a grudge against them (kinda doubt it)! Now, the only test I need to do is find another phone (not an S3) on 4.1.2 to see how that behaves, but my bet is that it won't work either...

"...the device admin pop up telling you what your restrictions are. If you can screenshot the listband post maybe that will tell us something."

I completely lost you there on that device admin popup and restrictions... I will have to google it as I'm not THAT Android savy (or you can just tell me how). Will get back as soon as I can.

"Do you know what version of exchange your company uses?"

I lost you there, too. I told you already and you acknowledged: Exchange Server 2003. What do you mean by that question at the end?

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Mr. Host, you write:

"If others running JB are getting this just fine then the issue is not directly with JB but something with your device, apps and exchange."

I admit, this is logical, but how can you explain the fact that a completely different but IDENTICAL phone (also running 4.1.2) that has never connected to my account before, faces the same identical behavior, WHEREAS, at the same time, another phone on 4.0.4, which has also never before connected to my account, works fine?

"Have you removed the account on your phone then gone to the webmail device admin and removed that device from your approved devices and then readded the account to that phone."

I understand what you say completely, but the answer, unfortunately, is NO: Exchange 2003 does NOT come with this webmail device admin; you have to download it and install it on the server, as an admin, to gain this functionality. I would love to have tried that but my admins, as I said, are a bit afreaid to mess with a perfectly well working server. Of course, I can sympathize with their opinion, but it doesn't help me much.

"My assumption is that you are using the default mail app still. When you add a device it gets its own profile created. If there is something device related, the directions. I gave typically worked. This may account for one phone working but not the other."

It depends on what you mean by "default mail app still"... Not only have I removed and setup my exchange account numerous times, I've even performed, TWICE, a complete FACTORY RESET on the phone (and set up my account again, of course). You say, "if there is something device related..." and I would tend to agree with this line of thought BUT: remember that I've also tried an identical Galaxy S3 on 4.1.2 which also did NOT download the contacts. In other words, it's either that ALL Galaxy S3s on 4.1.2 have the same issue, OR that my exchange server has a grudge against them (kinda doubt it)! Now, the only test I need to do is find another phone (not an S3) on 4.1.2 to see how that behaves, but my bet is that it won't work either...

"...the device admin pop up telling you what your restrictions are. If you can screenshot the listband post maybe that will tell us something."

I completely lost you there on that device admin popup and restrictions... I will have to google it as I'm not THAT Android savy (or you can just tell me how). Will get back as soon as I can.

"Do you know what version of exchange your company uses?"

I lost you there, too. I told you already and you acknowledged: Exchange Server 2003. What do you mean by that question at the end?

I didn't remove that comment at the end after me edit. My apologies.

I have exchange 2003 at work on my old server that is coming offline. I will look at it tomorrow and see what I come up with. The device admin pop up should come up with the addition of a corporate account under the default mail program the phone comes with. I will have to try adding it on my mother's S3. I'm not sure what app it uses by default. Probably not the same as the RAZR MAXX. One thought is the profile connecting to the phone model. I'm not sure how much detail for mobile phones existed in 2003 exchange. On newer versions there is much more control on the server side and JB supports them where they didn't before.

Why it would be different isn't something I could explain but I will see what I find out on options on the server side. One possible scenario is that it still thinks it is the same device and never actually created a new profile for the second identical device. Possible in the mobile early days it only looked at certain aspects of the device and since they are identical it thinks it is the first device. Going from ICS to JB did have changes on that way it handles exchange profiles, which is to say it didn't handle them correctly before JB.

The server admin should be able to remove the devices associated to your account without the add-on you are referring too but I will check this when I can look at it tomorrow. This would test if it has anything to do with the profile it is currently using, but your admin has to remove it unless I find something else out. Newer versions of exchange allow the user to remove devices themselves as well as the remote wipe and such you have talked about.

I had originally thought this was happening on RAZR device and then additionally you tried it on an S3, but that isn't the case. So I have to see how the S3 goes through trying to add an exchange account, good chance the S3 email app is different than the RAZR.

Hopefully I will have something more conclusive for you in the next 24-48 hrs. I know I setup a note2 with no issues a couple weeks ago, but that was with exchange 2010 and I don't honestly recall if it had JB or not.

Costa Flocas

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Just a few clarifications while I wait for your discoveries: ;-)

No prob with your last sentence.

The S3 (as you may have found out by now), too, uses the SAME default mail app to configure a variety of account types. Naturally, I have set up my Exchange 2003 account using the "Microsoft Exchange AcriveSync" acct. type.

As for all the rest, you're 100% correct in your facts or thought process. Alas, I (or my admins) cannot remove my device from my server's profile, as we don't have (nor are we planning to, as I understand) the add-on installed. So I guess I'm stuck until the next official release of 4.2.2, in the hopes that it solves my issue. [Do you perhaps know when this will happen (the release of 4.2.2)? Note that I DO NOT want to root my phone and void its warranty...] Or wait until we upgrade our server to 2010 or something (by which time S554764523645 will be the shiznit!) ;-)

If 4.2.2 doesn't, I may have to ditch the S3 all together, even though I truly love it... But some things are just show stoppers.
cf

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I was playing with my 2003 exchange and they(my predecessor ) disabled much of it. got most of it going but the Mobil admin you describe does appear to be the only utility to remove the device itself.

I have to update my certificate to get the last part a try.

Sadly your support line doesn't have the desire to do their job, which is just dad's on their part.

As to when the next update will come is hard to say. Might be the next version after 4.2.2. No clear answer there.

InterplX Expense

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if my situation will help you, but I had a similar problem in that my Outlook Email would synchronize, but Contacts and Ccalendar would not. Note: all three had been synchronizing just fine, for the past year or so, but last week my Exchange ActiveSync account "died" and needed to be reset.

As it turns out, I created the problem when re-entering my Exchange account. I used an email that was valid, but it was an alias; thus only my emails would sync. (note: I could add a contact on the phone and it would show up in my Outlook Contacts, but none of my existing Outlook Contacts would sync.) That is until I deleted and re-added the Exchange account with the correct email address, domain, etc.

Once that was done, my Outlook Email, Contacts and Calendar all synchronized properly. Note: it took a good 5-10 minutes over a WiFi connection to fully sync my 1,000+ contacts and calendar for 2013.
:D

Good luck!

tomazzs

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem.

I updated my phone (the Galaxy SIII) months ago to android 4.1.2 and everything worked fine, my calander and contacts from my Hotmail account were stored on my phone, and if i added a contact or an appointement on my phone it automatically synchronized it with my hotmail account.
But my phone became very slow (because I installed to many apps) so yesterdag I decided to do a hard reset to begin again from a fresh install.

So like the first time, I installed my hotmail account on android with the "Microsoft Exchange ActiveSyn" option. The calender syncs fine, but not al my contacts are synced.
Some contacts (54 of them) are synced and stored on the phone and I can see them in my contacts list but the other 200 contacts are not stored on the phone. But all my contacts are availabel if the phone searches online: when I make a new appointment in my calender and I want to add a person to the appointment, I can choose all contacts, even the missing ones. :confused:
So I think the phone can reach all my contacts, but it doesn't store them in the contacts list.

Did someone find I solution yet?

vnveep

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm experiencing this problem on both my Razr Maxx HD running JB 4.2.2 rooted with XenonHD 9 ROM. I am experiencing the SAME exact problem on my Xoom running JB 4.2.2 rooted with EOS4. I didn't have this problem on my Maxx last week when I was on stock 4.1.2, nor when I rooted it on RageHD 1.1 (also 4.1.2). Based on what I've been reading, 4.2.2 breaks contacts... I've tried everything on all my Exchange 2003, 2007, 2010, outlook.com and live.edu accounts... no dice. It must be JB 4.2.2. My coworker has the same issue on his Maxx running XENONHD 9. Its hard to believe Google royally screwed the pooch on this one after so much success over the years supporting Exchange and ActiveSync. :-( If anyone has any other input, please divulge. I might be bumping this back down to 4.1.2. :-(

Tourendal

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

I had the same problem. In my case there were some birthday entries (I had made on Android) which were rejected (by Exchange) and caused the whole sync to silently(!) fail.

After adding these birthdays on my Android I couldn't get any contact sync anymore, while calendar and mail were working fine: syncing both directions at all times.

The birthday date format in Android contacts is not standardised by Google and there are several different formats used by different Android vendors.

If you have the suspicion that something in your Android contacts blocks sync from working, here is how I debugged the problem: MS-Exchange contacts are not synching even though mail and calendar syncs fine - Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange

I hope this helps!

RickT428

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
A bit late on this but in case anyone else is having issues syncing to exchange after updating to 4.1.2 mine went crazy on Droid Razr so just decide to try it again without resetting up accounts so
I went to my ?Play Store? and downloaded ?Google Calendar? again no sync on the title, and now everything is working perfectly! Everything with exchange works the way it did before the update

mr_Phone

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi

I have encounter similar issue for some models of android phone not been able to sync user mail-account
after switching over from exchange 2010 to 2013 does anyone know the reason for it not working even after deleting the account and re-added it

Batman2372

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
I've got a user connecting to my Exchange 2010 that is have the same issue where he cannot get his contacts. I've removed his account from his phone, I've removed the device association from his exchange account through OWA, and then re-added the account on his phone, and I'm still having the problem.

When I grab sync logs, I am finding this exception error:

Command_WorkerThread_Exception :
--- Exception start ---
Exception type: Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.SyncStateExistedException
Exception message: The sync state named 2 already exists.
Exception level: 0
Exception stack trace: at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.SyncState.CreateSyncStateFolderInFolder(SyncStateInfo syncStateInfo, Folder syncStateParentFolder, PropertyDefinition[] properties, Object[] values)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.SyncState.CreateSyncStateStoreObject(SyncStateStorage syncStateStorage, SyncStateInfo syncStateInfo, Folder syncStateParentFolder, PropertyDefinition[] properties, Object[] values)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.FolderSyncState.CreateSyncState(SyncStateStorage syncStateStorage, Folder syncStateParentFolder, ISyncProviderFactory syncProviderFactory, String syncFolderId)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.SyncStateStorage.CreateFolderSyncState(ISyncProviderFactory syncProviderFactory, String syncFolderId)
at Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.SyncCollection.OpenSyncState(Boolean autoLoadFilterAndSyncKey, SyncStateStorage syncStateStorage)
at Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.SyncCommand.SyncTheCollection(SyncCollection collection, Boolean createSubscription, Boolean tryNullSync)
at Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.SyncCommand.OnExecute()
at Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.SyncCommand.ExecuteCommand()
at Microsoft.Exchange.AirSync.Command.WorkerThread()
Inner exception follows...
Exception type: Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ObjectExistedException
Exception message: Could not create folder 2.
Exception level: 1
Exception stack trace: at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.FolderCreatePropertyBag.CreateMapiFolder()
at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.FolderCreatePropertyBag.SaveFolderPropertyBag(Boolean needVersionCheck)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.CoreFolder.Save(SaveMode saveMode)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.Folder.Save(SaveMode saveMode)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.SyncState.CreateSyncStateFolderInFolder(SyncStateInfo syncStateInfo, Folder syncStateParentFolder, PropertyDefinition[] properties, Object[] values)
Inner exception follows...
Exception type: Microsoft.Mapi.MapiExceptionCollision
Exception message: MapiExceptionCollision: Unable to create folder. (hr=0x80040604, ec=-2147219964)
Diagnostic context:
Lid: 55847 EMSMDBPOOL.EcPoolSessionDoRpc called [length=60]
Lid: 43559 EMSMDBPOOL.EcPoolSessionDoRpc returned [ec=0x0][length=244][latency=0]
Lid: 23226 --- ROP Parse Start ---
Lid: 27962 ROP: ropCreateFolder [28]
Lid: 17082 ROP Error: 0x80040604
Lid: 25953
Lid: 21921 StoreEc: 0x80040604
Lid: 27962 ROP: ropExtendedError [250]
Lid: 1494 ---- Remote Context Beg ----
Lid: 26426 ROP: ropCreateFolder [28]
Lid: 21970 StoreEc: 0x8004010F PropTag: 0x668F0040
Lid: 21970 StoreEc: 0x8004010F PropTag: 0x3FE5000B
Lid: 15348 StoreEc: 0xFFFFFA84
Lid: 63733
Lid: 5079 StoreEc: 0x80040604
Lid: 6255 StoreEc: 0x80040604
Lid: 6511 StoreEc: 0x80040604
Lid: 8047 StoreEc: 0x80040604
Lid: 7310 StoreEc: 0x80040604
Lid: 1750 ---- Remote Context End ----
Lid: 31418 --- ROP Parse Done ---
Lid: 22417
Lid: 30609 StoreEc: 0x80040604
Lid: 29073
Lid: 20369 StoreEc: 0x80040604
Exception level: 2
Exception stack trace: at Microsoft.Mapi.MapiExceptionHelper.ThrowIfError(String message, Int32 hresult, SafeExInterfaceHandle iUnknown, Exception innerException)
at Microsoft.Mapi.MapiFolder.CreateFolder(String folderName, String folderComment, Boolean openIfExists, Boolean createSearchFolder, Byte[] folderId)
at Microsoft.Mapi.MapiFolder.CreateFolder(String folderName, String folderComment, Boolean openIfExists)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.FolderCreatePropertyBag.CreateMapiFolder()
--- Exception end ---

Can anyone help me, this user is at his wits end, and so am I.

Jon Goessling

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I have an S4 clone running 4.4.2 and have had identical problems to Costa Flocas for the last few months. Nothing i tried worked, from clearing the app caches or un-syncing then re syncing the contacts. New contacts to my Exchange corporate account would sync, but none of the old.

Finally I deleted the Exchange Corporate Account on my android device, and created another new account using the exact same settings. My contacts are now working again! Before you do this make sure you make a note of your settings as you will have to manually put them back in.

(Also note, probably unrelated, that I cleared caches of any contact related app on my device and restarted before doing the following)

This is how I did it on my phone: Settings>Accounts>Corporate>then open the account (NOT account settings) and you will see the 'sync' checkboxes next to Calendar/Contacts/Email. Go to the menu button on your device and you will see 'Remove Account' option. Click that and follow the prompts. Then go back to Settings on your device and add a new Corporate account and follow the prompts.
(Note that android will not set it up perfectly just with username and password, I had to correct my username to my full email address and change the server address to what I had before). I was connected to wifi at the time and within a few minutes all my (nearly 2000) contacts were back.

I hope this might work for some others.

Jon

Last edited: