System Update Notification?

JSOL1

Nov 29, 2016
Visit site
On VZW I haven't gotten notifications for either the Dec or Jan updates. Both times I've had to manually check for the update. Good news is that the updates are there! Just wondering if others are getting notified. I did wait till today to see if I would get notified, but no joy so did the update cuz I didn't want to wait any longer

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The idea is that it is supposed to download in the background, install to a secondary partition and the next time you reboot your phone it updates. We're not supposed to think about them at all. Obviously not the way that phone nerds work, but that's how it'll work for the vast majority of customers.

hamsterwheel

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
The idea is that it is supposed to download in the background, install to a secondary partition and the next time you reboot your phone it updates. We're not supposed to think about them at all. Obviously not the way that phone nerds work, but that's how it'll work for the vast majority of customers.

Ahh, see I didn't get a notification either, but when I checked today it is there, saying I need to restart. Just haven't needed to reboot so I haven't yet but I guess I will now.

JSOL1

Nov 29, 2016
Visit site

Right, but I am not getting the background download, I have to select 'check for updates'...

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
There is a setting in the developer menu that turns auto update off and on.

I had mine on, but have since turned it off. . Nit sure if it had anything to do with it, but on auto, I got the update almost 3 weeks after my wife with hers set to auto off.

The last two months with us both having auto off, we got them the same day, within 3 days after being released.

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Right, but I am not getting the background download, I have to select 'check for updates'...
You would have gotten the download/notification had you waited, but manually checking will negate that.

Some updates will come in a day or two after Google posts them, other will take a few weeks. It's kind of a draw

chenks

May 22, 2013
Visit site

which is all fine, but how often to people really reboot?
i can go months without it having an actual reboot, so a prompt definitely is needed to tell you an update is waiting to be installed and you need to reboot.

i manually checked for the update last night, and it found it and started to downloaded. i left it overnight doing that overnight.
checked in the morning and it had downloaded, but had no prompt to say it had and that a reboot was required.
i assume a prompt may have appeared eventually, but after 10 hours no prompt had appeared.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
which is all fine, but how often to people really reboot?
i can go months without it having an actual reboot, so a prompt definitely is needed to tell you an update is waiting to be installed and you need to reboot.

i manually checked for the update last night, and it found it and started to downloaded. i left it overnight doing that overnight.
checked in the morning and it had downloaded, but had no prompt to say it had and that a reboot was required.
i assume a prompt may have appeared eventually, but after 10 hours no prompt had appeared.
The idea is they don't want you (not you personally but the average consumer) to be thinking or worrying about updates at all. It's supposed to be as invisible and unobtrusive as possible. Doesn't work well for Android nerds who want the update 5 minutes after they hear it exists, but for most consumers its way better to never know directly and merely understand they're always up to date. It works great on Chrome OS.

chenks

May 22, 2013
Visit site
yes but that relies on the user rebooting the phone at some point, otherwise the update will never be applied.
if there is no notification to tell you an update is waiting, and the phone hasn't needed to be rebooted, then you will never get the update applied.

Nechasin

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
yes but that relies on the user rebooting the phone at some point, otherwise the update will never be applied.
if there is no notification to tell you an update is waiting, and the phone hasn't needed to be rebooted, then you will never get the update applied.

I totally agree. The only time my wife reboots her phone is when she forgets to charge it and it dies on battery power. But that isn't that often anymore as she has learned to put it on the charger. She even has the prompts on her 6.0 device and doesn't install them. So the average user won't do it anyway.