T-Mobile confirms Note8 Oreo update "on hold"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlbrowninsc

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
No battery improvements with the reset. Just over three hours screen time. Also noticed I get an error every time when trying to use fingerprint login in for my bank and Amex apps. Oh well. Such is life with android

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Just a thought, I can't use the fingerprint to get into my bank app with developer options enabled. Not sure what your set up is like.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If T-Mobile has held up Oreo then wth is this on my phone?

Well.. "Halt" means it was rolling out and is no longer rolling out. (a.k.a stopped). Therefore if you got the update BEFORE the "halt" then you would have it. Does that help? :)

sd13

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
TMobile intentionally not updating the note 8 to oreo to boost s9+ sales??

Everyone is on oreo except for TMobile users. Which is pathetic Imho. I'm thinking of switching carriers because what TMobile is doing is grimy. Which carriers are the fastest with updates? Verizon? At&t? Sprint?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: TMobile intentionally not updating the note 8 to oreo to boost s9+ sales??

Everyone is on oreo except for TMobile users. Which is pathetic Imho. I'm thinking of switching carriers because what TMobile is doing is grimy. Which carriers are the fastest with updates? Verizon? At&t? Sprint?

They found a bug and stopped it to fix it. You are saying you would rather them release it with a known issue? Odd.

sd13

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site

We're into May. They had all the time in the world to iron out the issue. Other carriers have had their update for quite a while now.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I've had the T-Mobile Oreo update since Easter when it was released and I haven't noticed any problems with it. I did delete Mcafee app because it's a worthless app.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

We're into May. They had all the time in the world to iron out the issue. Other carriers have had their update for quite a while now.

It is still an issue so they aren't rolling it out. Personally I would rather no update versus one that has a known bug that will mess it up.

Also I wouldn't ever choose a carrier branded device if you care about updates. That is just a bad mix.

sd13

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site

When apple releases an update it goes to all phones on all carriers. If a Samsung update is fine with every other carriers except one, don't you think there's an issue with the carrier, not the update?

jsigmo

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Given that the carriers inevitably load each iteration of the OS with their own custom mix of spam, apps that you don't want but cannot delete, and restrict features that are native to the OS and hardware but that they want to charge extra for, there is a lot of customization that each carrier must do to "their" version of any new OS release.

Perhaps T-Mobile has run into problems as they've been making their customizations to Oreo. Remember that Oreo for T-Mobile isn't the same as Oreo for AT&T, or Verizon, etc. They're all modified from the basic OS. That's one reason why the rollout dates are different for the different carriers. They all need time to rework the software to do the special things they want it to do on their systems.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

When apple releases an update it goes to all phones on all carriers. If a Samsung update is fine with every other carriers except one, don't you think there's an issue with the carrier, not the update?

Sadly that isn't how Android works (yet). There is Android and then the manufacturer modifies and has to test it -- then the carrier.

Apple sure does release them directly -- and so does Google to Google phones. I actually expect the May security patch on my phone tomorrow from Google (Pixel 2 XL). Samsung has never been 100% on-point with updates ... especially carrier branded. You can swap carriers for it if you want but if you are using a carrier branded Samsung phone you will be back in the same spot when that carrier doesn't release it at all or anywhere near on time.

If you want updates... you want Apple or a phone directly from Google like the Pixel ones. Oh also Apple does hold them if they know a bug is present so they would be doing that same thing.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Remember that Oreo for T-Mobile isn't the same as Oreo for AT&T, or Verizon, etc. They're all modified from the basic OS.
True, all the carriers do that. Yet the other carriers managed to release their customized versions of Oreo six weeks ago. Furthermore, T-Mobile is making the situation worse by their lack of candor:

For three weeks, T-Mobile didn't even acknowledge that they'd suspended the update, leaving customers to waste time trying to figure out why they weren't receiving it when others had.

Even now, T-Mobile hasn't disclosed the reason for the suspension, leaving customers who did receive the update to worry if the problem might be a serious security flaw.

For prospective new customers, T-Mobile has continued, for four weeks and counting, to falsely advertise the Note8 as having Android 8.0 (Oreo). There is still no announced estimate as to when the update will resume.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Well at this point I want to go back to 7.1.1. Too many issues on unlocked with Verizon. My wife on the other hand has had zero issues with her carrier branded and oreo. Now the question begs whether its actual a tmobile thing or some issue with oreo that only affects certain things you do with certain apps. Small bugs are one thing, but I dont call all day finger f ing and the battery is at 71% at 6pm and the next day I got to charge it before noon a small bug. That's off charger at 6am. Then the camera goes crazy at times, the screen flickers occasionally, and lots of other issues. I would say hardware, but the my father has an unlocked too. Same issues as mine. It's the O.S. nothing else. Save the banter and wait til they fix it.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Oh also Apple does hold them if they know a bug is present so they would be doing that same thing.
The difference is that Apple can hols the announcement until they're satisfied that there are no bugs left, then announce the update and release it the next day (and seem soooo fast with updates), but with Android, unless Google pulls an update, everyone releases it except one carrier, so everyone wants to know why that carrier is so slow.

No one asked why there was no October 2017 Android release, did they? Google didn't release it, so no one else had anything to release, so no one but Google owners even know that there was a missed update. As you said, Apple and Android-except-Google don't work the same way.

Whiskey619

May 14, 2017
Visit site
I got the update a while back, and the only issue I've had has been with the Samsung keyboard, which 1) forgot all my commonly used words and 2) now consistently fails to understand things it used to do fine with, when swiping. I used to like the keyboard, though I know a lot of people hate it with a passion, but now it's absolutely awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.