Tablet - more internal memory or USB On the Go?

thyde76

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking at getting a new tablet to replace my Nook HD. I use my tablet mostly for general tasks; email, web browsing, reading, minor gaming, Netflix and Hulu, Spotify; but I also use it at work when our network won't connect to sites. I'll also be using it for some Microsoft Office tasks. I don't need/want a large tablet, so an 8 inch screen is as big as I want to go; I want to be able to hold it in one hand to read. I'm also on a budget, so I really don't want to spend more than $200.

The two tablets at the top of my list are the NVIDIA Shield Tablet K1 and the Asus Zenpad S 8. From what I've read, the Shield is powerful and supports USB OTG allowing me to use a thumb drive or external hard drive to transfer files. The Asus has the 32gb internal storage making it easier to have more apps and store more files. A lot of files/tasks I could work on could be shared/transferred through the cloud making the external drive less important, but the OTG could be useful.

Both tablets have the micro-SD slot, so I can expand the memory.

I'll be getting a Bluetooth keyboard, so I won't need the OTG for that.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! MicroSD cards can store a ton of stuff these days, so the need for a USB flash drive via OTG would be relatively minimal. It's always a good idea to get as much internal storage as you can afford, because that's the important spec that determines how many apps you can install.