News Tablet sales are on the rise, and there's never been a better time to buy one

Chris Laarman

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
In contrast, my tablets take center stage, with my smartphones and desktop computers performing additional roles.
In my opinion, the unique selling point of tablets is their combination of two properties: the ease of changing orientation and the presence of inputs (typewriter keyboard, piano keyboard, pinball flippers) exactly when needed. - Consequently, I don't confine my tablets in clamshells. I don't even stretch an arm to reach for a hardware keyboard for writing my characteristically long comments. I prefer using my fingers to using a pen.

The screen size that happens to suit me best is 13", but sometimes 10" is more convenient. Or I could raise my smartphone from a belt pouch.

There is a case for each operating system. In my metaphor: Android compares to iOS like tweaking your car to calling a taxi. - Side note: the Apple ecosystem does suit me. Huawei copied that to their Android and Windows devices. But Huawei...

On the slow rise of Android tablets: they have long had too little storage space, at least for me. I enjoyed my Google Nexus 10, but I found 32GB too limited. In late 2015 I bought a Google Pixel C with the maximum 64GB of storage, and a large iPad Pro with the intermediate(?) 128GB. (And six months later, I bought a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 with 256GB.) - On the other hand, Apple may long have been too skimpy on iPad RAM.