Talkback alert won't go away

Jeff Main

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I disabled talkback in the application manager, cleared data, disabled the show notifications, and doesn't show in the settings>Accessibility>Services where it once lived, however, I still get the notification hand. I can't determine how to put it back in the Accessibility services to give it another go. It appears gone, but it is not.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I can't determine how to put it back in the Accessibility services to give it another go. It appears gone
That would be because you disabled it in the Application manager.

Note that there's a bug with the Talkback service - if you have any other apps in the Services group, every time you restart the phone you'll get the 'hand' icon in the upper left corner of the Status bar, even though the Talkback service is off. You can either ignore the Talkback icon or you can go in to Accessibility and go through the process of turning it off, after which it'll remain off until you restart the phone again.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Kathy,
Please follow the instructions in the article linked in post #23

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

doonboggle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Am somewhat slightly deaf, and played around with feature setting this afternoon; now I can't do ANYTHING !!
I only get so far, even up to the reinstall factory version ... but cannot activate it ... or any other...
I've tried all the posted suggestions, but need more deep input. The 2-finger rule is OK for some, but not OK for others; including SETTINGS.

Is there a fast and easy way to get to factory reinstall ... and get it to become 'alive'????

Caryn Wittmer

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Thank you so much!! Read your help and got to the part on how to scrool with 2 fingers and finally got the dumb ^%$# turned off!! I even called my local provider and they couldn't help me.

Clingo

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Notification area shows "talk back is activated". Galaxy S3 running 4.1.2. I have unchecked "Show notifications" plus clicking "force stop" and cleared data and cache. I have also done force stop on google tts and samsung tts. I still have that stinking hand at top of screen. What else can I do besides factory reset?

Thanks for the tips so far!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
What else can I do besides factory reset?
You could actually turn Talkback off. Of course, when you restart the phone it'll just be turned back on.
So it would be better to uninstall the application that is causing it to be turned on. For me it used to be DynamicNotifications http://market.android.com/details?id=com.greatbytes.activenotifications but the developer finally fixed it.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Tony Pelliccio

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Wow - talkback is mother f'n annoying. I didn't know about the two finger swipe bit. A tip of the hat to the guy who provided that little gem of info. I was just about to take the sledge hammer to my phone.

Mikey923

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I have the issue with the 'Talkback is activated' notification that will not go away.
I do have low vision, so I had set up my phone so that when I tripple clicked the home button, it would enable talkback. I then discovered that the talkback is terrible, and no longer wanted to use it. So I changed my settings to remove the tipple-click home button feature. Now, I have the 'talkback is activated' notification that will not go away. To get rid of it, I did a factory reset of my phone, which was a pain to have to set up all my e mail accounts and settings, but the notification was finally gone. But, the other day, the notification appeared again, and will not go away. This time, it just started appearing after I tried to use the microphone button on the keyboard to speak some text into my phone.

Anyhow, I go into the Accessibility > Vision section of my settings, and it shows talkback is Off. And even if I turn it on, and then turn it back off again, the notification stays. I have gone into Settings > Applications and tried to disable Galaxy Talkback, but it does not allow me to. The 'Disable' button is grayed-out.

It is not a huge deal that the notification is there, I can still use my phone fine, but it is very annoying. I just got the phone, and I don't want to have to deal with that notification on my screen every time I turn my phone on for the rest of the time I own it.

Ps. I've had several other bugs happening with this phone. not impressed. This is my first Android phone, coming from Apple, so i am not sure if these little bugs are typical, or if the galaxy S6 just needs some work.

Mikey923

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I've had the persistent "Talkback is Activated" notification since I bought my Galaxy S6 in April, and it has FINALLY DISAPPEARED.

I can't be sure that this is a solution for everyone, but this is how it went away for me:

I was camping for the weekend, which resulted in my phone battery completely dying. When I got home and charged my phone and turned it on again, the notification was gone!. Normally after doing a restart (power the phone off and then on again), the notification would go away, but it would then appear again 15 seconds or so after booting up, but this time it didn't, and it has been a couple of days now. I've never completely drained my phone's battery to the point that it turns off before, but I assume that it played a role in fixing this bug...

While I had the constant 'Talkback is Activated' notification, I also noticed that when using the calculator app, it would speak out every number that I pressed, but I went and tested it out, and it has now stopped speaking while using the calculator.

Hope this helps solve the problem for others. It is so nice looking at my phone and not seeing that stupid notification or hand icon any more!

Tom Booth

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Hajabarala - you Di Man! Other apps in Accessibility (mine was All In One Toolbox) - can hold the hand open!! Like you said, close all apps running in accessibility and re start them - hey presto the annoying little hand collapses
Cheers

Han Reeno

May 23, 2016
Visit site
To remove the "Talkback is activated" icon and notice in Notifications you need to disable Talkback. To disable Talkback
1. Open Phone Settings
2. Select Application Manager
3. Select the All tab (because this is built-in, not downloaded)
4. Scroll to the App Talkback
4. Select Deactivate
Reboot and it should be gone.

I made the Talkback notification turn on and off before I disabled it. Doubt that is necessary though. The easiest way to turn the Talkback Notification off is to turn different Accessibility Service on or off. When you turn on Talkback you have to know how it works to turn it off. To select any item you need to press it once to highlight it and allow it to say which button was selected. Then tap the button twice to get the button to perform its action. The other trick is that scrolling takes two fingers instead of the normal one finger.

Incidentally, you can use this disable method to get rid of other bloatware.

But aftet reboot it still on noticification....

toddemerson123

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
I am using a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone. Talkback does have a bug in it. I disabled Talkback and I still get the Talkback "hand" notification every time I restart my phone. This happens because I have two other Accessibility Services on, which in my case are AVG Antivirus and AVG Cleaner. If I turn both of these services off, the Talkback notification never comes back on when I restart my phone. However, I want to keep these services on! A simple solution is to press and hold the Tallkback notification description. This brings up app info. Tap that and it brings you to the screen where you can force stop the Talkback app, even though it has already been disabled. The hand notification goes away! Now it will come back whenever I restart my phone, but with the press of a few buttons, I can force stop Talkback very easily. I hope this helps someone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zalauf