Tegra 4 - What we know so far

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
We know a lot of high level stuff right now. Number of cores, expected performance (kinda), and some really cool features (one that I'm particularly excited about).

SPOILER:

IMAG0201-1.jpg

This is cool. REALLY cool. It's the pipeline for photo processing on the Tegra 4. It allows this:

IMAG0206.jpg

We all know what HDR is and does (right?) and it's just about unanimous that the result is great pictures. The big problem is that motion causes issues. Real time HDR fixes that. nVidia figured out a way to make it on chip, too, so no changes have to made to the OS to implement this. I don't think I need to explain how awesome that is. They didn't go into much more detail than what I just told you, though, so I'm hoping for more on this (like how to turn it on and off).

Honestly that's what I'm most excited about, since I personally place camera performance at the top of my list for phone features (display is tied for first).

They had this cool slide to show the improvement:

IMAG0202.jpg

Now for some general stuff.

IMAG0197-1.jpg

72 (!) GPU cores. 4 A15 cores (up to 1.9ghz). 1 A15 companion core (700-800mhz). LTE on-board. Fast. Really fast. How fast?

IMAG0199-1.jpg

I'm pretty sure that speaks for itself (remember, these tests were run by nVidia). If you take nVidia at their word they will have the fastest mobile GPU in a currently shipping SoC (including the newest from Apple).

Other bullet points:

• 28nm HPL process. This should help it be a little more power efficient with a focus on low-leakage vs peak performance
  • Dual-channel memory interface with support for LP-DDR3
  • Marginally larger die area than the Tegra 3, but it's much denser due to the smaller process (28nm vs 40nm).

I wanted to wait to write this until I had more concrete info, but I'm impatient and just couldn't wait any longer. :)

Yoink676

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Sadly Snapdragon 800 is coming:D

Btw Tegra games would have their own place, with extraordinary effects but I would take snapdragon 800 with more powerful gpu.
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olalekan45