Terrible screen brightness

pj737

May 8, 2017
Visit site
I upgraded to the S24U primarily because of the supposedly very bright screen. I use my phone a lot in sunlight so I was looking forward to it. But low and behold the S24U actually has a dimmer screen than my S22U.

I checked all the display and brightness settings and restarted phone etc. Basically if the phone gets used at all (just browsing the web and using YouTube) and gets even remotely warm the screen brightness won't go above 25%. If I slide the brightness bar the brightness only changes for the first 1/4 of the bar. The last 3/4 of the bar to the right literally does nothing. I am sitting here with both phones and the same use on both web and YouTube usage and the S24U is FAR dimmer than my S22U.

Very disappointed that Samsung would market this supposedly bright screen when in the real world it doesn't even get as bright as they say.

So don't expect your phone to be any brighter than the previous generation S models. It will be much worse as any warmth at all will kill the ability for the screen to get bright.

Reactions: BEaRebel

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I can say mine is an MF'n BEAST out in direct sunlight. Had the opportunity to test this week and made sure to have the display facing the sun.

Reactions: lyingfromyou

pj737

May 8, 2017
Visit site
Are you using any battery saving settings?

I used the camera today with bright sun behind my subject and in my face. I was still able to see the subject to take the picture.
Yes I made sure all settings are to maximize performance. I'm in an all-year round warm climate. So the temps here allow the phone to warm up more. The phone is super bright if I have it in a cold air conditioned room and turn it on with little ambient light. But being outdoors (temps in the 70s) with even light usage the phone brightness drops by 50% or more. It makes it hard to use wearing sunglasses. The whole idea of having the amazing nit specs of this phone is to allow sunglasses and phone use. This will probably work just fine when it's cold outside but it will fail miserably if it gets even decently warm (70s F). I can't even imagine how terrible the brightness will be when it really gets hot outside and when the sun's rays are actually hitting the screens. Id guess most here on this forum aren't using the phone in these warmer temps now because it's winter. It's of course possible my phone is defective. But this phone has been a massive disappointment as it was the main reason to upgrade. I can say with 100% certainty it's worse than the S22 in warmer temperature environments. That's all I know.

pj737

May 8, 2017
Visit site
I may have a defective phone then. I downloaded an app to check the temperature of the phone and see how it correlated to screen brightness. Whenever the phone temp got to 37C it would throttle screen brightness to 70% max brightness. When it hit 39C it was 50% max. And 41C it was at 25% max (this is unusable in direct sunlight). Anything over 41C it would not go any brighter than 25% brightness. Anyone else having the same issue with heat and screen dimming correlation? The phone temp isn't even that hot and it kills the screen brightness as a response to any heat at all.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
My screen will blind you it gets so bright! I also see that my phone rarely even gets warm. Why is yours getting so hot? I live in a very warm climate also even though it is still technically winter...Texas! However, yes I believe that if your phone is baking on the inside that fail safes might kick in to protect the phone and therefore lower the brightness of your screen! Again, though, why is your phone getting so hot? I would try to resolve that first.

pj737

May 8, 2017
Visit site
My screen will blind you it gets so bright! I also see that my phone rarely even gets warm. Why is yours getting so hot? I live in a very warm climate also even though it is still technically winter...Texas! However, yes I believe that if your phone is baking on the inside that fail safes might kick in to protect the phone and therefore lower the brightness of your screen! Again, though, why is your phone getting so hot? I would try to resolve that first.
37-40 is certainly not too hot. Phone's can safely operate up to 45C without causing any damage. Samsung is not allowing it's most useful feature to work in bright sunlight by force dimming the screen at normal operating temps.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
37-40 is certainly not too hot. Phone's can safely operate up to 45C without causing any damage. Samsung is not allowing it's most useful feature to work in bright sunlight by force dimming the screen at normal operating temps.
You either have something setup wrong, or you have a defective device!

pj737

May 8, 2017
Visit site
Quick update. Returned the phone and got a new one. Currently no issues with this new phone. So I'm guessing I got a fluke. So far loving this phone but wish the screen has a warmer tone to it. Anyone know how to adjust the color to make to warmer like the S22? I have the eye shield protector on but it doesn't do much to warm the color.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Quick update. Returned the phone and got a new one. Currently no issues with this new phone. So I'm guessing I got a fluke. So far loving this phone but wish the screen has a warmer tone to it. Anyone know how to adjust the color to make to warmer like the S22? I have the eye shield protector on but it doesn't do much to warm the color.
Glad it's good now , should be an update to fix vivid mode

Reactions: J Dubbs and pj737