Tesco hudl: UK users post your opinions

NinianW

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Rainkap,
I have had exactly the same problem(works fine then suddenly total screen freeze) and also resort to the reset button on the back.

Charlotte Jones1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Wow. I am not the only one, then. I got a Hudl for Xmas, epic present, then within two day...
- Headphone sockets not working, I then thought it was the song, a different version.
- Freezing. I was on an app and then it froze. I left it for an hour. It was still frozen on the app.
- Restarting randomly (nobody else?) I would be writing an email and it would restart. It obviously restarted, and I begun rewriting email when it did it again!!
Back to Tesco, we did telephone thing to returns people. They were gonna test it but I drained the battery so the couldn't. I was definitely getting a replacement!

I get my replacement - annoyed that although my apps were on the account, they had to be manually installed onto the machine. Then I was buying something over Chrome, and the left side wasn't working. I was baffled. I turned it off and on again and it was alright, for like hardly any time.
The second Hudl was returned. I am on my third, and what! They are epic when work properly. I think I got lucky. Only been a day though. Apparently according to Tesco they had to get em' out quick due to demand and forgot to check them all over properly before they went on shelves.

But I guess if you get lucky, they are epic :)

pringrj

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I am another grey haired amateur trying to compete with grand-children. Bought a HUDL and set it up. At first seemed OK, but puzzled by lack of replies from people I emailed. Then found emails were not getting through. Although messages first appear in OUTBOX, and then in SENT, they didn't reach recipients. However, the message DID come through on my PC, but not recorded in my PC sent box. I use Virgin Blueyonder as my PC Windows computer. Emails sent to me arrive successfully, but selecting REPLY again results in recording as SENT, but nothing arrives. Any suggestions?

NinianW

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Took mine back this a.m. Store staff suggested it was a software fault and a total update via the settings menu would fix it. It didn't so rang help line and got a code for replacement as soon as I described the problem. Returned to store and got replacement, but only after having to get store manager to sanction replacing an "on line purchased" item with one from store stock. Their system appears not to have provision for the staff to do a stock transfer. So far so good with the new one, been using it for an hour or two this evening with no probs, screen seems much more responsive. In discussion with one of the store staff I was told they had replaced 30-40 since Christmas.

UnhappyHudlUser

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I have had my Hudl since early December, two weeks ago I went to use my Hudl (was left turned on and charged well) to find the screen would light up navy but nothing would come up, I've tried resetting it numerous times, and when turning on it makes all the right sounds but still nothing appears on the screen. Tecso is being extremely unhelpful, refusing to give our money back and refusing to exchange due to 5 of the Tescos we have visited having none in stock, they also won't order one for us.

Also, does anyone know how to remove the back of the Hudl to get inside it?

Last edited:

Give It a Try

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I have had my Hudl since November last year.
I have compared to a number of other Android tablets and the Ipad and found that over all it is working fine. No lockups etc.
I use mostly to look at email and quickly browse without booting up a laptop or PC and as a Kindle.

Issues are minor but here we go:-
Screen brightness and tone/contrast control not as good as it could be. Kindle could allow the screen backgound to go more grey.
Touch screen not as responsive as I would like but fine.
My biggest moan is that the USB connector is at the bottom. This seems a silly moan but if you but a case with a keyboard the connector will not fit when closed or when open either, maybe a right angled connector will. Need to look into that.

Otherwise I am very happy withit. I have connected to Wifi all over the place and used as a satnav.

fluke Nine

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I have had my Hudl since November last year.
I have compared to a number of other Android tablets and the Ipad and found that over all it is working fine. No lockups etc.
I use mostly to look at email and quickly browse without booting up a laptop or PC and as a Kindle.

Issues are minor but here we go:-
Screen brightness and tone/contrast control not as good as it could be. Kindle could allow the screen backgound to go more grey.
Touch screen not as responsive as I would like but fine.
My biggest moan is that the USB connector is at the bottom. This seems a silly moan but if you but a case with a keyboard the connector will not fit when closed or when open either, maybe a right angled connector will. Need to look into that.

Otherwise I am very happy withit. I have connected to Wifi all over the place and used as a satnav.

Bluetooth keyboard sorts out the connector problem.

Tesco are well aware of the screen being unresponsive and advised me to see if the update that is expected some time this month (February) solves the problem.

They also said they have no idea which of the Hudl's will experience the screen problem, so you could end up with a replacement with the same fault.

ClareWilliams

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I've been trying to get a Hudl since before Xmas, but they were never in stock...finally got one yesterday and first impressions were great. I was pleased with the quality for the cost. However today I have had to call Tesco to arrange replacement.....it suffers from the left hand keyboard not working glitch, and occasionally puts 2 or three of the same letter in. :( . Chap at Tesco says 2% suffering from this glitch....and no probs with ordering a swap, even gave me a ?5 refund to cover fuel costs of collecting new one!

doch33

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, have new hudl and downloaded Kingsoft but the keyboard has a mind of its own. How to I get it to appear when I want it?

lentilbake

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi there, had my Hudl since Christmas and will probably be taking it back soon. Reasons are:

HDMI output constantly cuts out, tried a few TV's and different cables (very common problem apparently, waiting for software update to resolve but nothing yet)

Compass doesn't seem to work in any of the apps I've tried (not sure if this is common to all hudls) GPS does work though.

Getting more 'freezes' which need power cycle to cure (never had to reset yet)

Shame really because I generally like the thing, good screen for reading books and watching videos and not too full of Tesco software. Might try another one. To those who are thinking of replacing their Hudl with a kindle fire, DON'T! They are really locked down in terms of the apps you can use, nothing Google for example, very restrictive.

lentilbake

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Yes, mine is the same (purchased Christmas 2013). Stellarium and Maverick compasses are all over the place. Not sure if this is my Hudl or all Hudls. GPS does seem to work OK though, apps like Maverick will work away from WI-FI if you download the maps of the area you need before going out (use MOBAC).

Trevor Rose1

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
just bought my hudl today and its not turning on at all.... its fully charged as thats the first thing i did after i got it out if the box. can anyone suggest anything i can do?
i dont really want to take it back as thats my last resort.

You probably have, but have you pressed and held the power button for about 10 seconds, can take a little while to turn on compared to other devices?

PeterJHB

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
I have had a Hudl for a week, but live in France and have found it impossible to connect to my wfi or anyone else's. If you live outside the U.K a Hudle will probably not work and without the internet, it is a piece of equipment with no use whatsoever.

It should pick up and connect to the internet if you enter the right log-in details for whichever wireless network you are on.

williamspr1

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Realise this reply is a year late but in case you still have the issues I had the same . . . . . . . until i relaised that if you take the unit out of its case (i have the black leather one) then the problem goes away. Figure that its the magnetic catch they use to hold the case shut affects the product it's protecting. Pretty dumb, but work-around-able. This doesn't affect the gps sensor just the magnetic field one. Otherwise really impressed with my hudl and no other issues.

Mk Erty

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: Tesco Hudl Can't verify update error Resolved

tesco hudl 2 update problem can't get past update screen: can't verify update

Had the same problem.

Resolved:

Tried it a few times - same error
Switched off device using power button
Tried again a couple more times - success

So, rather than send it back you should just keep trying for a while and it will resolve itself - have seen similar posts on other forums.

Good luck!

Selwyn1

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I have the latest tech stuff, IPhone 6 and the latest Ipad but I had not tried android before this although we provided the Kindle Fire to our in laws.

I decided to try the new Hudl 2 as it was cheap.

My experience with this device is life changing and bad for Apple.

I have tested everything on the Hudl that I do on the IPhone 6 and latest IPad.

I have found that I now use this device all the time in preference to my Ipad.

The only gripe is that I have to switch it properly off and on again to get it to charge up sometimes.

The music sounds great on IPhone ear buds and the videos are nearly as good as on the IPad.

I just do not know how they do this for the low price. I think that Tesco must be doing this as a loss leader to drag in customers but you don't need to use it for that.

If you need a tablet for your squalling kids or yourselves, I am 53. Get one of these before they are all gone.

Kind Regards,

Selwyn

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000