The countdown begins!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The countdown begins for the release of this beast! Here are the details: www.androidcentral.com/sony-announc...-xperia-z-ultra-snapdragon-800?style_mobile=0

Specs:

* 6.4? Full HD TRILUMINOS? Display for mobile powered by X-Reality? for mobile engine for the ultimate big screen entertainment experience

* Ultra slim, waterproof** and dust-resistant (IP55/IP58) durable design

* Qualcomm? Snapdragon? 800 processor with 2.2 GHz quad-core CPUs and 4G LTE for fast performance

* Write and sketch with any pencil and selected stylus or pen

* Full accessory ecosystem for premium entertainment and one-touch connectivity

* Battery STAMINA Mode for outstanding battery life

Anyone interested in this device? It's a gorgeous piece of hardware but I'm not sure that I'm sold on these sized devices for daily use. What does everyone else think about this device? Anyone pre-ordering if it hits your carrier.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

jrvtecaccord

May 12, 2012
Visit site
If it arrives to the US on AT&T with LTE I will be interested. Although, I will wait to see what the Note 3 has to offer.

I vary rarely make phone calls, so making a call on this device would not bother me nor what others think when I do. As I am always "connected" to the office, the large screen will be great to reply to emails and viewing office documents.

Jr - via S3 on Tapatalk

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I can see this device hitting AT&T soon after release. Smart move though. Wait for the next generation Note and see if it's worth getting over the Ultra.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
This phone just screams awesome to me. I like the build, the ui is smooth and that pen interface seems very convenient. I'm interested to see how Sony has implemented their new screen technology. But as Kevin said, the lack of wacom technology will leave it without pressure sensitivity. I still think it's a nice stand up to the galaxy note line. Makes me excited for future phablet pipelines.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator
Device: Droid DNA unlocked, s-off, rooted, running Hatka Supreme Sense 5.0, Android 4.1.2

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
The specs are beast, but that footprint is crazy. Maybe not so much if you carry a bag or purse. I understand Sony is trying to hit a different segment of the market here, though. That leaves me out on this one, unfortunately. To me, the ZL strikes the perfect balance of big screen and form factor.

Sent from my Sony Xperia ZL

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The specs are beast, but that footprint is crazy. Maybe not so much if you carry a bag or purse. I understand Sony is trying to hit a different segment of the market here, though. That leaves me out on this one, unfortunately. To me, the ZL strikes the perfect balance of big screen and form factor.

Sent from my Sony Xperia ZL
I agree. Not everyone is going to like this device simply because of the size. If something like this comes down in form factor then I would consider such as device. However, being that I'm on Sprint I doubt Sony would have anything in the pipeline for the carrier.

CrackFachry

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm really tempted on getting this device.

I'm okay with the lack of flash as I rarely use it even in lowlight condition. Always use the Night mode instead of flash.
The size of the battery concerns me though. Would love to see some battery usage review before making my decision.

One thing I'd like Sony to develop is apps/software for its pen/stylus sensitive display.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The Note 3 will almost certainly have a better pen experience. They use Wacom.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

There's no doubt about that -- the press release touts a "super responsive screen with handwriting recognition which is compatible with any pencil and selected stylus or pen (capacitive stylus or metal pen with tip diameter over 1mm)." Translation: "Although we've added our own handwriting recognition software, your experience using a stylus will be just as crappy as it is on any other non-Note phone."

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
There's no doubt about that -- the press release touts a "super responsive screen with handwriting recognition which is compatible with any pencil and selected stylus or pen (capacitive stylus or metal pen with tip diameter over 1mm)." Translation: "Although we've added our own handwriting recognition software, your experience using a stylus will be just as crappy as it is on any other non-Note phone."

It is nice to not need a specific stylus, but I'd much rather have the pressure sensitivity.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

LavallavaL

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm okay with the lack of flash as I rarely use it even in lowlight condition. Always use the Night mode instead of flash.

+1.

Sony's cameras have alway sported excellent low-light support, I remember first being really impressed by a Cyber-shot camera from the era when a 5 Mega-pixel was a big deal. My current phone, a ZL, shows this same excellent low-light, flash-less performance. This said, as a personal preference, I'd rather go without a front-facing camera, which I seldom use, and have a flash, but I guess the industry's become afraid of going without a front camera, as it seems every device without it gets "slammed" by reviewers. - I guess they all use Skype video calling...

I never use my phone without a BlueTooth earpiece, I like talking hands-free, even when I'm not driving. I'm willing to bet this is also the case for a growing segment of the population. This would explain why devices are getting bigger; People use phone to read the news, and keep up with social media while having coffee, so they want a big screen, and never/seldom use them as-is for phone calls, thus making size attributes a less relevant concern for telephonic purposes. Size attribute might eventually become more of an aesthetic concern, I'm certain people don't want a mere phone to take up half the table when having lunch, yet they crave screen real-estate and battery life.

I'm more excited about the Honami's format, because I'm a laborer, and the phone has to fit in my pocket, but if I was a "desk jockey", I would probably feel that the bigger, the better. In fact, even with my current occupation, if I could choose a phone twice as thick for double or triple the battery life, I would chose the thicker phone in a split-second. I would very much prefer my phone to weigh an extra 400 grams if I could dispense with having to tote a bloody charging cable.

Just my two cents.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Great comments, s.g.vallee. I saw the Honami this morning and it looks like a slick device and would probably be more up my alley in terms of size. But you don't make a good point about battery life, so it'll be interesting to see how Sony handles this with that device.

HimOffTheTelly

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
This is looking like one gorgeous piece of kit. I've been a Galaxy man for a long time and am eager to see what Samsung has in the offering for the next Note. I would also like to see what Sony comes up with to supercede the Xperia Z - if as rumoured it's the Honomi it also might be worth considering. But the Z Ultra is simply stunning. I'm sold especially on the fact of being able to use the phone in landscape mode even from the desktop. I'm currently weighing up the pros and cons of using something something Note sized or bigger since i've been a Note user since mine, the original model, launched in white. I've found the S4 screen to be not much smaller than in my original Note (0.3 inches smaller) in a much smaller frame and having had my pocket full for about a year and a half I wouldnt mind something more managable sometimes. That said, the phablet form factor is perfect for most of the things I need a smartphone for. I'm pretty sure the GNote 3 will be a beast, choc full of the Samsung features I've come to know and - mostly - love. But damn that Ultra is just too sexy to ignore...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2