The Huawei P10 has a random variant that has eMMC 5.1 and LPDDR3

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
In a bizarre revelation, Huawei recently admitted that they did in fact make some P10s that have either a combo of LPDDR4 + UFS 2.0 or a combo of LPDDR3 + eMMC 5.1.

Usually, the device would have a combination of LPDDR4 and a UFS 2.1 storage controller. Getting one of the 3 depends pretty much entirely on luck as it is randomized.

Personally, I find this odd and even disappointing. The P10 is Huawei's mainstream flagship, so seeing that you can even get a variant that has inferior hardware to the others at random is disconcerting, especially since the P10 is not sold cheaply.

But what do you guys think?

Source: https://www.xda-developers.com/huaw...e-memory-chips-with-different-specifications/

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it reminded me of the differences, real, rumoured, known or imagined, between the hardware in certain Samsung devices, and ditto the earlier versions of the iPhone SE, though in the former case the variation is regional. There's nothing that the customer can do.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Things like this has happened with the iPhone. People had no idea which processing chip they were getting until the opened the box and turned the phone on.

I personally feel it's wrong, because I'm buying a product that I actually don't know what I'm getting. That makes me feel a little uneasy towards the company. I'm sure both configuration will perform fine but I would like to know upfront :)

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Things like this has happened with the iPhone. People had no idea which processing chip they were getting until the opened the box and turned the phone on.

I personally feel it's wrong, because I'm buying a product that I actually don't know what I'm getting. That makes me feel a little uneasy towards the company. I'm sure both configuration will perform fine but I would like to know upfront :)
The iPhone 6s was different since those are the same basic chip but came from different chip fabricators.

In Huawei's case, the type of storage controller and RAM can vary significantly at random.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it reminded me of the differences, real, rumoured, known or imagined, between the hardware in certain Samsung devices, and ditto the earlier versions of the iPhone SE, though in the former case the variation is regional. There's nothing that the customer can do.
This is not like iPhone or Galaxy where you get the same Generation Hardware that happens to be made by either Samsung or Qualcomm or Samsung and Sony when it comes to Camera.

With the Huawei you are getting either older Gen hardware or newer Gen Hardware at random, THAT is quite simply poor by Huawei. This means devices may vary A LOT in performance.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
This is not like iPhone or Galaxy where you get the same Generation Hardware that happens to be made by either Samsung or Qualcomm or Samsung and Sony when it comes to Camera.

With the Huawei you are getting either older Gen hardware or newer Gen Hardware at random, THAT is quite simply poor by Huawei. This means devices may vary A LOT in performance.
And Huawei's official statement came out to me as a blatant excuse.

Supply issues are all well and common, but no OEM has ever resorted to downgrading parts of their flagship phones to resolve the supply issue.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
And Huawei's official statement came out to me as a blatant excuse.

Supply issues are all well and common, but no OEM has ever resorted to downgrading parts of their flagship phones to resolve the supply issue.
Exactly!

This is just awful. It would have made more sense to even just use the older hardware that is in more supply for all models.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Exactly!

This is just awful. It would have made more sense to even just use the older hardware that is in more supply for all models.
I think Huawei should just step up, issue an apology for this whole mess and vow to never ever do such a thing again.

Sure, the intention might not be to cheat or deceive customers but anyone who spent the pretty pennies on one only to find out that they lost out on the lottery is certainly going to feel that way.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I think Huawei should just step up, issue an apology for this whole mess and vow to never ever do such a thing again..

a letter to Huawei staff on Thursday, later posted on his Weibo account, Yu said the controversy over the phones' memory performance was a "wake-up call," and that he had previously reacted to consumers "in an arrogant way."

It's something I guess. Maybe we will get that public apology. I know that won't fix things but it definitely helps to admit you have done thing wrong and the customers will at least feel heard :)

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It's something I guess. Maybe we will get that public apology. I know that won't fix things but it definitely helps to admit you have done thing wrong and the customers will at least feel heard :)
Yep, that's definitely a start.

I don't think they'll try to pull this off again, knowing the potential backlash.

It's such a shame because they've got amazing phones lately, but lessons need to be learned.