The LG G3 vs HTC One M8 - Help me decide!

ShAdoWSKy

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Subscribed myself to this thread as well!! I swear, this dilemma has been haunting me for weeks lol I'm also coming from a Nexus 5 and truth be told I really despise its camera. Idk if its cam is similar with the M8 though, but wow everything else on the M8 that's not the camera seems very promising. As for the G3, it's the opposite lol I honestly just really want it for the camera! Form factor doesn't really matter for me between the two because both look good anyway.

If you're anything like me and use the camera everyday for a variety of reasons, I would suggest you go with the G3. I can only speak from playing with multiple units in stores but the M8 camera is just mediocre at best. Pictures were always blown out even with the smallest light, details were murky due to the 4mp camera, and it simply didn't give me a satisfying picture most of the time.

In my opinion, the M8 will take awesome shots if you take the time to set it up (get the right lighting, angles, take multiple shots from different perspectives, etc.). After using the G3, I just couldn't use the M8 after. Then again, the camera might not be so important to you as it is for me because I consider it a deal breaker!

Posted via the Android Central App

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I Pictures were always blown out even with the smallest light, details were murky due to the 4mp camera, and it simply didn't give me a satisfying picture most of the time.

In my opinion, the M8 will take awesome shots if you take the time to set it up (get the right lighting, angles, take multiple shots from different perspectives, etc.). After using the G3, I just couldn't use the M8 after. Then again, the camera might not be so important to you as it is for me because I consider it a deal breaker!

I was worried bout the blown out photos on the M8 as well after seeing the reviews and camera shootouts on various sites. That was until I checked out the photos in the M8 forums on this site. If you haven't yet, you should check the thread out. Some great shots. The best tip I found on the thread was to take a sec and tap on various parts of the screen to change the exposure. It wouldn't take but a sec and the results are truly great. I'm still a little worried about not being able to crop and zoom very much though.

ShAdoWSKy

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
I was worried bout the blown out photos on the M8 as well after seeing the reviews and camera shootouts on various sites. That was until I checked out the photos in the M8 forums on this site. If you haven't yet, you should check the thread out. Some great shots. The best tip I found on the thread was to take a sec and tap on various parts of the screen to change the exposure. It wouldn't take but a sec and the results are truly great. I'm still a little worried about not being able to crop and zoom very much though.

Yeah, I spent an entire month scouring a multitude of sites and forums to compare photos before I bought my G3. I agree, taking some time to get the right photo on the M8 does produce some awesome shots. Personally, it just didn't work out for me because there are moments when I don't have the time to adjust anything and just need to take a quick shot. On the G3, I can simply take a picture and crop/zoom later to fix anything (usually don't need to). Also, I guess this is where the 4mp falls short, but if it ever comes to it I can take the same amount of time setting up a shot with the M8 on my G3 and get a "better", more detailed picture.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I spent an entire month scouring a multitude of sites and forums to compare photos before I bought my G3. I agree, taking some time to get the right photo on the M8 does produce some awesome shots. Personally, it just didn't work out for me because there are moments when I don't have the time to adjust anything and just need to take a quick shot. On the G3, I can simply take a picture and crop/zoom later to fix anything (usually don't need to). Also, I guess this is where the 4mp falls short, but if it ever comes to it I can take the same amount of time setting up a shot with the M8 on my G3 and get a "better", more detailed picture.

Hope you enjoy the G3! I've still got a little while to make up my mind. I can't upgrade til Sep 21. I'm gonna try to spend a little more time in-store checking them out. I don't really want to deal with rooting and stuff, so the UI is gonna have probably more of an overall impact on me than the camera. I've never used Android. I've had iPhones since the 3G so I'm thinking Sense may be a better intro to Android. I did used to mess with my old Windows Mobile phones a bit, and I had my iPhones jail broken til 6.0.

ShAdoWSKy

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Hope you enjoy the G3! I've still got a little while to make up my mind. I can't upgrade til Sep 21. I'm gonna try to spend a little more time in-store checking them out. I don't really want to deal with rooting and stuff, so the UI is gonna have probably more of an overall impact on me than the camera. I've never used Android. I've had iPhones since the 3G so I'm thinking Sense may be a better intro to Android. I did used to mess with my old Windows Mobile phones a bit, and I had my iPhones jail broken til 6.0.

I tell this to everyone I meet who's deciding between the two phones: if the camera isn't the most important feature of the phone for you, then go with the M8! I've been having an awesome time with my G3 but I know that if I had a separate camera then I would jump on the M8 in a second. Let me know what you decide on getting! I am really looking forward to the M9 (or whatever they call it) in the coming year.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I tell this to everyone I meet who's deciding between the two phones: if the camera isn't the most important feature of the phone for you, then go with the M8! I've been having an awesome time with my G3 but I know that if I had a separate camera then I would jump on the M8 in a second. Let me know what you decide on getting! I am really looking forward to the M9 (or whatever they call it) in the coming year.

I ended up with the M8. Just got it delivered yesterday. It's a lot to get used to coming from iOS, but I'm finding workarounds for features the phone doesn't do out of the box. It's definitely fast. I haven't had any hiccups or lag at all. I did have one app crash, but that could be the app, not the phone itself. I haven't tested the camera much, but I've taken some photos while walking my dog. They're ok, not great. I'm really gonna have to get out this weekend and test it. I miss the Touch ID from my iPhone, but that and my worries about the camera aside, I like the M8 so far.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I ended up with the M8. Just got it delivered yesterday. It's a lot to get used to coming from iOS, but I'm finding workarounds for features the phone doesn't do out of the box. It's definitely fast. I haven't had any hiccups or lag at all. I did have one app crash, but that could be the app, not the phone itself. I haven't tested the camera much, but I've taken some photos while walking my dog. They're ok, not great. I'm really gonna have to get out this weekend and test it. I miss the Touch ID from my iPhone, but that and my worries about the camera aside, I like the M8 so far.
Keep us updated and let us know if you have any issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia