The one thing I hate about flashing ROM's: restore issues

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I like to do a clean install since I am not adept at spotting and solving problems, but this means having to restore apps, and deciding what data I can safely put back. And, sometimes TiBU screws up (or I screw it up). With this last flash to a JB ROM, my Titanium backup was nowhere to be found. I had to reinstall all of my apps one at a time and, of course, I had to reset each app up again the way I like it. Not my idea of a good few hours.

So, now I am downloading BB and am contemplating an install without all the wipes. What are the wipes I MUST do, and which will leave as much stuff as safely possible in place?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I like to do a clean install since I am not adept at spotting and solving problems, but this means having to restore apps, and deciding what data I can safely put back. And, sometimes TiBU screws up (or I screw it up). With this last flash to a JB ROM, my Titanium backup was nowhere to be found. I had to reinstall all of my apps one at a time and, of course, I had to reset each app up again the way I like it. Not my idea of a good few hours.

So, now I am downloading BB and am contemplating an install without all the wipes. What are the wipes I MUST do, and which will leave as much stuff as safely possible in place?

If you're coming from another rom, you "must" wipe:

Data
Cache
Dalvik
Format system

That obviously leaves nothing in place, but it ensures it works. If you want to be risky, you can skip data, but that's neither advisable or usually successful.

Restoring your apps is one of the downsides to flashing :/.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site

i just wipe data/factory reset in CWM then dalvik

If your are moving from one rom to another it's always good to wipe. If it's just an update to your current rom you don't have to. Not wiping is called flashing dirty.

With respect to the restore issues. Here's my typical procedure if i'm going to do a full wipe

• Run a full Titanium backup.
  • If it's been a while, i'll also push the update up to drop box using Titanium, just so i have something off the phone in case things go really south and i lose what's on the sdard.
  • reboot into cwm
  • run a backup from within cwm
  • wipe data/factory reset
  • flash the rom and associated files (kernel, gapps, mods)
  • wipe dalvik
  • reboot
  • during the setup process UNCHECK the checkbox to "restore apps from google" this step isn't needed if you are just going to restore them with titanium anyway. this also doesn't restore app data and settings...so it's kinda pointless in my opinion.
  • get titanium from the store
  • restore everything i want
  • reconfigure: home screen, widget, settings, app settings (that titanium couldn't restore)

it takes me about 30 min start to finish.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I will follow that plan. As long as TiBu is working right, it's not too painful. The change log says it now works with JB.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Just make sure to format system, it's a good step and habit to get into :).

hmm, rebooting into the new ROM now, what step would that be in the process, and what is the actual command option? I am not sure I saw that one. Assuming that I didn't do it, any harm done?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
hmm, rebooting into the new ROM now, what step would that be in the process, and what is the actual command option? I am not sure I saw that one. Assuming that I didn't do it, any harm done?

It's in CWM--go to Mounts/storage then format/system. It clears out your system partition completely so that the new rom can take its place.

As far as harm, hard to tell. The JB roms are finicky and it's always best to make sure they have as clean of an install as possible.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Ah, I see. During the process, it said something about formatting stuff, so I thought that it may have been doing it then.

Restoring from TiBu now, so we will see how things go. (yes, just apps, not system!) :0)