The Road Ahead-Advice For the Moto X Lover With Really Small Hands and Is a Pianist!

migdalorguy

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Clearly, Motorola has done its best to try and sunset the original Moto X. I really don't know what to do. All the potential replacements are simply too big. It makes a world of difference to me because I am a 4'9" male, aged 60, who is also a music teacher, pianist, and conductor, among other things. Yes, 55 years of playing piano has given me a good firm grip, and the ability to reach my fingers wide with my relatively small hands (further handicapped by inward curving pinky fingers.) But using a phone is one of the things that also puts a great deal of strain on my hands, especially if the phone is too big. I'ved tried it. Just a few minutes with one of these honking massive phones and I can start to feel the strain in my hands. The MotoX form factor has been just about as perfect as I've found in a smartphone. I can't get a similar size phone without compromising on capabilities, and those also matter to me. Do I hang on to my MotoX in hopes a similarly sized and similarly capable phone comes along, or do I have to bite the bullet and learn to deal with the constant strain of a phone too big for my hands which can already feel the first initial pangs of some arthritic joints? I love my MotoX but I also don't want to be stuck on Lollipop for another year or more. If I bite the bullet and get a bigger phone, do I think Nexus, or the Moto X Pure, or the Droid Turbo 2? (I like my Android on the cleaner side, so the Samsung, HTC, and LG phones are out.) Thoughts? Suggestions? Advice? :-\

migdalorguy

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
The form factor is decent, though that half inch makes a difference. But the killer on the Nexus 5x is the lousy speaker,. Musician and music teacher here. That matters a lot to me. But thanks for the thought.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
You could try going with the Nexus 5 (from 2013). Since it's a Nexus, Google is keeping it updated far longer than 3rd party manufacturers do. So you will get Marshmallow and the subsequent updates as well. It's got a 4.9" screen, which is pretty close...

Or, if that's still too big, or you are resistant to buying a phone with "old" hardware, you could go with the Sony Xperia Z5 Compact. 4.6" screen, dual front-firing speakers.

I'm still rocking my 2013 Moto X, but if it were to die on me tomorrow, those two phones would be at the top of my list for a replacement.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29