News There's a problem in tech, and it's your fault

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Don't put me in that group, I keep my phones 3-4 years minimum, there's just not enough differences between releases to make me switch, it's pretty much a mature technology. As far as AI goes, it's just too new to be of any interest to me, I'll let it grow for a while and work the kinks out before I care.

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
Don't put me in that group, I keep my phones 3-4 years minimum, there's just not enough differences between releases to make me switch, it's pretty much a mature technology. As far as AI goes, it's just too new to be of any interest to me, I'll let it grow for a while and work the kinks out before I care.
this is the way...let early adopters bang their shins on the furniture and figure out what's what

Sniper_Cobra

Sep 21, 2023
Visit site
"...it's your fault."

Meanwhile, in the article:
"...But a company can't wait a few years in between releasing something "new and shiny." Maybe Samsung or Apple could, but that would likely tank the stock prices, frustrating the shareholders, and who knows what would happen from there..."

Uh, there's your problem right there. The never ending chase for increasing profits, no matter what.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Uh, there's your problem right there. The never ending chase for increasing profits, no matter what.

In the U.S. (not sure about other countries), companies have a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders to make good faith efforts to be profitable. While there may be benefits to their customers in waiting longer between device releases, they would be putting themselves at risk of a shareholder lawsuit if they can't do it in a way that maintains or increases profits.