Thinkin about rooting my TB tonight......

njgsx96

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
You do lose the VM iconm, which i realized not too long agao actually. If you reboot, you get it but it doesn't go away agin until you reboot. Kind of stupid, but so far that is the only issue I have come across. You can still see you have a missed call though and you can also go into the call settings and see that a voicemail is waiting. Or, as mentioned, you can use Google Voice, which I just put on to circumvent this 1 minor issue.

Steve54

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Ahhh...voice mail and any other subscriptions I would guess? I have had a Google number since they began, I think. Don't use it for anything but an emergency voice mail. That could work. Well...decision is not made yet but I sure would love some battery life and to see this puppy perform without all the hooya holdin' it down. I have been perusing the battery forums and there was one cool tip I didn't know about, but the rest of the tips and tricks are pretty standard having come from a Storm 2 to a DInc (and I thought the battery life on the 9550 blew major bonus chunks :eek:).

So...in about 5 days I get an upgrade. The TBolt I have was a special store promo I literally fell into and didn't affect my current plan. So...root and wait a while for something else? Or get another TBolt, send this one to my sis, and sell the DInc 2 she is using at the moment along with my old 9550 and let them pay for the new phone so I can have twice the TBolt annoyance I am having now???:-$:confused::p:cool:

All opinionage is welcome...

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
i didnt realize you would loose voicemail if your root!!! big turn off

This is simply false. It has nothing to do with root, but it is true that some ROMs don't handle VM notifications very well...primarily the GB ROMs.

I already switched to Google Voice for VM service, which I prefer anyway, so I'm not 100% certain, but I believe its also just the notification that doesn't work... you can still check your VM and get your messages at any time from what I've been led to understand.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion you are overthinking the process but it is you decision of what is in your comfort zone but the developers usually post very detailed and complete instructions and as long as you follow them exactly as instructed all should go fine.

I worked in a number of computer fields from IT to software development and I believe a users limits are what they set them at.... I would say research and read up upon the processes needed and see if you feel comfortable with the process and if you do then go for it but if not then leave things be... Dont do what you don't feel good doing but on the same note don't limit yourself either.

Go with that as you see best works for you... Good Luck..

TauntingBull

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I've had my TB since launch and didn't wanna root until the official GB release. My gf has the Atrix on att and she just got GB, I'm so jealous......and I want to video chat over G Talk with her. So my main questions are if I root tonight will I, A. Be able to video chat over G Talk? B. be able to UNROOT back to stock when the official GB release comes out C. does this void the warranty with HTC?

THANK YOU

DUDE! don't do it! Start video chatting with your girl I mean. It has many disadvantages.

jd07bos

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I just was reading about how we wont be able to ROOT after the OTA GB update......

I think I'm going to go for it!!! plus I really want sense 3.0 :cool:

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I just was reading about how we wont be able to ROOT after the OTA GB update......

I think I'm going to go for it!!! plus I really want sense 3.0 :cool:

A root will come after update but it just may take a minute, I say go for it because if I stayed stock I probably wouldn't still have my device, Sense 3.0 is so much better than the stock Sense build..

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

A root will come after update but it just may take a minute, I say go for it because if I stayed stock I probably wouldn't still have my device, Sense 3.0 is so much better than the stock Sense build..

I would not be so sure to assume that a root method will be found post-Gingerbread update for the Thunderbolt.

The fact is that we got pretty lucky that the devs found the exploit that allowed the TB to be rooted in the first place. No other method has yet to be discovered, and the GB update will block the exploit currently being used.

Folks with the Dinc2 are already dealing with this, and still no solution has been found (at least as far as I know).

All I'm saying is there there is definitely NO guarantee that a root method will found for the Thunderbolt after the "official" GB update is applied. Flash at your own risk, but if you want root, do it now before the GB update is released.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I would not be so sure to assume that a root method will be found post-Gingerbread update for the Thunderbolt.

The fact is that we got pretty lucky that the devs found the exploit that allowed the TB to be rooted in the first place. No other method has yet to be discovered, and the GB update will block the exploit currently being used.

Folks with the Dinc2 are already dealing with this, and still no solution has been found (at least as far as I know).

All I'm saying is there there is definitely NO guarantee that a root method will found for the Thunderbolt after the "official" GB update is applied. Flash at your own risk, but if you want root, do it now before the GB update is released.

Thanks for correction, you are right there is no guarantees but the developers has been doing a incredible job that I was just acknowledging there abilities. Also I was giving HTC credit to honor their report to start unlocking their devices for development..

Sorry didn't mean to be misleading...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oldersod