Thinking about rooting, have a few questions.

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I've been wanting stock Android back on my note 2, simply because touchwiz is getting annoying. I know I can use causal to root but my questions are about roms. What are some roms that I can take updates on without factory resetting every time? Losing all my data is one thing I hate about rooting and loading roms. Also what are some of the best roms for the note 2? Thanks!

Posted from the AC app

doncerda

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
AOKP for me is the best ROM for a pure Android experience... aside from that I've only tried Jellybeans ROM which is a great adjective for AOSP look with good touchwiz features. They both update pretty regularly...as for doing factory resets every time...I do it just to be safe and rely on applications to back up my stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I've been wanting stock Android back on my note 2, simply because touchwiz is getting annoying. I know I can use causal to root but my questions are about roms. What are some roms that I can take updates on without factory resetting every time? Losing all my data is one thing I hate about rooting and loading roms. Also what are some of the best roms for the note 2? Thanks!

Posted from the AC app

There's no reason to lose your data when doing a factory reset. Just use Titanium Backup or Helium to restore your apps with data.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I've been wanting stock Android back on my note 2, simply because touchwiz is getting annoying

What exactly about Touchwiz are you finding annoying? Asking because maybe you don't need to root, just try a third party launcher?

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
What exactly about Touchwiz are you finding annoying? Asking because maybe you don't need to root, just try a third party launcher?

For the most part I like TouchWiz. However, I find it frustrating that I can't configure it without replacing the rom.

You didn't ask me but here are the things I miss from AOKP on my Galaxy Nexus:

Notification shade:
- The TouchWiz toggles are WAY TOO BIG. I don't really like toggles in my notification shade but if I do I prefer small icons
- I certainly would put a wifi toggle in there, something Verizon doesn't permit
- I want screen brightness control in the shade but not visible. In AOKP I can just pull down the shade a half inch and slide my finger to the right or left to change brightness.
- I don't want a notification of which wifi I'm connect to. If I want to know I'll look.

Other:
- I'd turn off that eye in the notification bar. I still want the Smart Stay feature turned on, I just don't want the eye taking up precious real estate.
- I want battery % without the green battery icon.
- Full rotation in any direction on any screen including the pattern lock screen. (Of course with a "hard" home button this would be less useful on the Note 2)

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

I'm already using nova launcher. What annoys me is that touch wiz is plane ugly, and most of the stock apps aren't that great. I find myself self replacing most of the stock apps with third party apps, something I didn't do as much with my Galaxy nexus.

Sent from my jelly bean flavored note 2

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
AOKP for me is the best ROM for a pure Android experience... aside from that I've only tried Jellybeans ROM which is a great adjective for AOSP look with good touchwiz features. They both update pretty regularly...as for doing factory resets every time...I do it just to be safe and rely on applications to back up my stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

What about pacman ROM? I heard it combines cm10.1, AOKP, and Paranoid. Sounds pretty awesome.

Posted via Android Central App

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm already using nova launcher. What annoys me is that touch wiz is plane ugly, and most of the stock apps aren't that great. I find myself self replacing most of the stock apps with third party apps, something I didn't do as much with my Galaxy nexus.

Sent from my jelly bean flavored note 2

What about pacman ROM? I heard it combines cm10.1, AOKP, and Paranoid. Sounds pretty awesome.

Posted via Android Central App

I say go ahead and unlock, root and flash a ROM...and try a few to see what is out there and what works best for you. I've run AOKP, Paranoid and Carbon ROMs on my GNex and liked each one for different reasons. You also might want to check out the Touchwiz based ROMs like Jedi ROM, CleanROM and JellyBeans ROM for what they offer. Still TW, but enough customizations and themes available to make them not look and feel like TW.

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I made a helium (carbon) back up of my apps. So now all my app data is backed up right? Also, do you guys think it is worth rooting and installing pacman, like feature wise? Is pacman smooth and lag free? Thanks for all the help!

Posted from the AC app