thinking about rooting. how, should i,

3rdsurfer

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
i just came from a palm pre which had simply a dev-mode instead of rooting and miss the simplicity, anyway i want to root my 3d

first why should i root?
does droid have homebrew?
what about tethering? it says my plan does not include this, but i had hacked it on to my pre
do i need a rom? im not 100% sure what these are
ota updates? avoid these right?

methods
why do there seem to be soo many methods of rooting? is it just for different phones?
HTC offers a method. how is this different from other methods?
since i updated to 2.3.4 will the htc method or others work since its so new?

droid version 2.3.4
htc sence 3.0

anarchist9027

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
revolutionary tool will not brick your phone and you will be rooted. it works for HBoot version 1.30 and 1.40. When you use revolutionary tool, it will tell you if you can root it.

onesie13

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
is there a difference whether i choose hboot 1.3 or 1.4 for revolutionary?

edit: nevermind found out how to figure it out

Last edited:

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site

onesie13

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Say yes to try it. Some say it doesn't work (using Windows) but it's worth a shot. Can't hurt it. Otherwise, just follow the instructions as listed... :)
thanks it worked for me but then i had some error while trying to install superuser which after using the twrp and several reboots it finally worked for me. just so happy i got the 3g prl update fixed :) hmm now which rom to use...... lol

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
thanks it worked for me but then i had some error while trying to install superuser which after using the twrp and several reboots it finally worked for me. just so happy i got the 3g prl update fixed :) hmm now which rom to use...... lol

First download should be ROM Manager. Use it to install the newest version of CWM recovery... Then do a backup in recovery, then flash ROMs. :D

onesie13

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
i tried flashing CWM recovery this way and its giving me some privilege error, :/ wished i didnt install TWRP over my CWM before

EDIT: im pretty sure its because i couldnt click confirm/yes when it asked for su request because the screen froze

onesie13

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
so after finishing CMW install and backup id like to try Clean Rom since it seems like a popular rom here. After putting the zip in the root folder should i use recovery or rom manager to install it?

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I like Adfree from the Market. Barnacle is a good wireless tether app. Titanium Backup is the only other one I use. :)
BTW, your signature is great! I feel the same way. :)
Or the wifi tether app I posted in the stickies works. It has 4g and 3g. Barnacle only does 3g if I remember correctly. :cool:

Reactions: basketthis

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
so after finishing CMW install and backup id like to try Clean Rom since it seems like a popular rom here. After putting the zip in the root folder should i use recovery or rom manager to install it?
Its one and the same. Do either or... either way it reboots to recovery.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Or the wifi tether app I posted in the stickies works. It has 4g and 3g. Barnacle only does 3g if I remember correctly. :cool:
I had no idea. I only downloaded it based on someone's recommendation. lol. Will go to your recommended app! :cool:

I'd say look here. http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...oms-kernels-themes-stock-rom.html#post1144641 and try the ROM that you you think you will like!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shiny_2084