Thinking of selling my Gnex after 2 weeks of using it

android010

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Guys,

I have put most of the apps' icons on the home screen to make it look like the iphone home screen.

Could this affect the battery ?

Dcronin05

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Icons on the homescreen don't use the battery at all, except for when your screen is on when your looking at them. The stuff on your homescreen that drain the battery are the widgets that use data to update the information they display. Also live wallpapers can drain the battery as well by using cpu power to animate.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reactions: android010

Dcronin05

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
My battery usage is like this:

Android OS 35%
Screen 30%
Phone Idle 8%
Facebook 6%
Google Services 5%
Android System 4%
Cell Standby 4%
Browser 3%
Mediaserver 2%
Phone 2%

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but your Android OS battery usage being so high seems really odd to me. Are those standby stats or is that from steady usage? Personally I've never seen (on any android phone I've had) the screen use any less than twice the battery of any other process. And I can't remember ever seeing anything besides the screen use more than 30% of the battery. You might actually have a legitimate issue with your setup. Also, I realize that the amount of processes using the battery affects the percentages but it's the ratio of the amount of battery the OS uses compared to the screen which seems odd to me.

android010

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
No it is most of the time like this

During the first week of use, it was like ou said, the screen tops with 30+ %

Now, Android OS always tops the list with around 33 - 38 %

Hondo_Lane

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
The community of android fans are really super smart and they never help ya not like iphone users who really enjoy helping each other with EASY TO UNDERSTAND steps

Really? I believe that's a pretty broad brush you are painting with... wouldn't you agree?

I have found a remarkable number of brilliant people in the Android Community, and many of them are willing to use their time to help others.

It's always good though to try to help yourself before you ask others for help. What I mean by that is that this forum and many others are awesome resources. Often a question or concern you might have has been discussed many times... so take some time to read through the topics and even "search" before reaching out. Often by spending a bit more of your time, you can take care of things before asking someone else to donate their time. It's simply the polite thing to do.

The GNex is a fantastic device, ICS is an amazing OS. However if you don't care for it, there are many other options out there. Do your homework and you will find what suits you best.

Reactions: chevyman29

Volbeat

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I was reading somewhere else that some users are having the android OS the highest battery loss percentage. The phone isnt actually going to sleep like it should be. A factory reset seems to cure this for most.

Reactions: Dcronin05

Selvedge630

May 25, 2010
Visit site
There is a huge community of helpful android developers and enthusiasts on sites like this one, as well as XDA and Rootzwiki. Some of your problems can easily be fixed without rooting, and others could be fixed by unlocking your phone and rooting it, followed by changing to a new rom. The previously mentioned sites both have detailed easy to follow guides for unlocking/rooting and flashing new roms/kernels/radios. For instance, most custom roms are indeed based on 4.0.3, which is one of the grievances you aired. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with switching to another phone if you don't like your phone, and thanks to Verizon's extended return policy there is no reason you should have to "sell" your phone, it should be within the return window until January 15th (though this isn't valid if you bought an unlocked international version, obviously).

Josh515

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I went from 100% batt to 63% batt in just over 3 hrs and that was with 3G (CDMA only) turned on. Also the only 2 apps I had on the phone were Facebook and twitter.

Make sure you change Facebook's refresh setting so that it won't refresh every hour (default). After I changed this, my battery life greatly improved!

360Mobiles

May 7, 2010
Visit site
A great way to improve battery is to go into location servicesand turn off Googles location services and Location and google search, then doing a battery pull.

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
i feel for the people with battery issues.....ive got 10% left after 12 hours and 10 minutes.....my screen on time is just over 5 hours so you know ive been using the hell out of it.....and that last 10% will get me at least another hour or so.

Dcronin05

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
i feel for the people with battery issues.....ive got 10% left after 12 hours and 10 minutes.....my screen on time is just over 5 hours so you know ive been using the hell out of it.....and that last 10% will get me at least another hour or so.

That actually sounds like amazing battery life. Or was that your point?

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
yes that was the point.....i do truly feel bad for the people experiencing horrible battery life because i have experienced really pretty good battery life and i dont have any weird settings.....although i do have the extended battery.

kaze06

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I really don't get all of the threads talking about how people plan on selling their Nexus.

If you are going to get rid of it, then do it. What do you want, us to beg you not to do it? You don't like the phone for whatever reason, that's fine. Most of the people jumping ship so soon are the same ones who expect a new release phone to be flawless.

Reactions: bigcatman

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I really don't get all of the threads talking about how people plan on selling their Nexus.

If you are going to get rid of it, then do it. What do you want, us to beg you not to do it? You don't like the phone for whatever reason, that's fine. Most of the people jumping ship so soon are the same ones who expect a new release phone to be flawless.

Maybe some are looking for insight? Maybe the user might benefit from a few tips that might fix the problem that is causing the user to want to return in? SMH. :mad:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I waited so long for this phone and hoped that it would satisfy my needs

Well, it is one of the top SUPER-phones today

It is really amazing and technically better than any other phone in the market

HOWEVER

I charged it THREE times today and it asks me to connect the charger now

I bought a pure google phone yet I am still on 4.0.1 while nexus s the phone of last year has 4.0.3, come on google ????? wf

The screen is really really big. I mean very huge. It is hard to use the phone with one hand especially if your hands are small

My headphones never worked properly with the phone even the ones that came with the phone still has some issues

The apps are really far far worse than the ones on the app store honestly speaking

I really HATE the people app

I do not use and if someone know how to disable it, please tell

The community of android fans are really super smart and they never help ya not like iphone users who really enjoy helping each other with EASY TO UNDERSTAND steps

Is anyone else having problems with a post inserting 4 blank lines between each sentence, or is this intentional? If not, I will fix this ASAP.

Aside from that, I'm having a hard time finding questions to answer in this post. Your other 2 threads were responded to and given the best answers possible based on what you were asking.

As far as the Android Community -- I think we all work hard to help one another and build content that is useful to everyone. Here are a few examples that might help you out. Hopefully when you see these you will leave with a different impression.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/137252-apple-users-guide-android.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/31622-getting-started-android-tips-tricks.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...racker-battery-tips-8-13-11-a.html#post744394

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...ock-bootloader-root-verizon-galaxy-nexus.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...backup-restore-install-roms-galaxy-nexus.html

Nchaka

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I was reading somewhere else that some users are having the android OS the highest battery loss percentage. The phone isnt actually going to sleep like it should be. A factory reset seems to cure this for most.

I agree this might help. Someone in the skyrocket forum said it helped their battery life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

gnipeh

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Disable People: Settings -> Apps -> ALL -> Contacts, and then select disable

However, the people app is your contact book. The one you can access via phone app is only contacts with phone numbers, and you cannot see email. I don't think you should disable contacts. You can download some other contact management app, I suppose.

You can surely disable Music and others that you feel are running too much in the background and you don't use

It is also odd that you are still on 4.0.1. I don't like the fact that we don't have 4.0.3, but you probably should go to Settings -> System Updates to manually check for 4.0.2

I got my phone around 9:30am 15th, and update came through around 10:30am 15th...

Not much I can say about battery life. More we can do with our phones, less battery life we can squeeze out. 4G, NFC, Large Bright screen, sync everything, play games etc etc

It is, again, very odd that your OS takes most battery life. Usually it's display, and win by a large margin. There are speculations about some phones are not sleeping when they are supposed to, but no consistent patterns found, even in small scale experiments.