Thinking Twice About Getting the GN

Undertoad

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Well that's a small price to pay to ensure your photos are always backed up...

...and when I say small price to pay, I mean $0.

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
PhoenixMike, I am in the exact same boat.
Now that ICS is coming to the Maxx, I may drag my feet and see how that pans out.

I have another way to look at things too (for me anyway): Which phone will hold its resale value better? I am sure quad core phones will hit the market en-mass before this contract is over. I am the type to sell my current phone,if the price difference is not too bad, plunk down the non-contract price for a no-contract upgrade...
Think the GN will be strong in resale?

bearmacerick

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
The only problem I've had with this phone(s) is the ty build quality. Samsung has a defective issue with the usb port causing it to stop charging even though it says it is charging, and the only thing I can get Verizon or Samsung to do about it is send me more phones or fix it with the same ty part over and over again. I just talked to Verizon this morning and they're sending me my FOURTH (4, quatro) phone this weekend. I've only owned the phone for 3 months. They said if this one goes bad, too, they'll THINK about letting me switch to a different phone, but I'll have to buy a battery and battery cover for it. And the phone I get will have to be a cheaper phone. And it'll be refurbished.

Do not buy this phone. Also, maybe don't go with Verizon. This is the tiest mobile experience I've ever had. The only good part about this whole thing has been ICS and everything that goes with it.

Phadunkin

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
PhoenixMike, I am in the exact same boat.
Now that ICS is coming to the Maxx, I may drag my feet and see how that pans out.

I have another way to look at things too (for me anyway): Which phone will hold its resale value better? I am sure quad core phones will hit the market en-mass before this contract is over. I am the type to sell my current phone,if the price difference is not too bad, plunk down the non-contract price for a no-contract upgrade...
Think the GN will be strong in resale?

Yes, although my upgrade is available now.. I might wait a week or two.. and see what is being discussed, rumored, etc.

the GN will definitely be a strong resale value.. it's the only one really.. Motorola.. Droids.. are everywhere and get new phones almost every month lol

or just get an iPhone.

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
the GN will definitely be a strong resale value.. it's the only one really.. Motorola.. Droids.. are everywhere and get new phones almost every month lol

or just get an iPhone.

Very true. I am once again hedging toward the GN. I love to root my phones too, so I think that in itself is reason to go GN! But, I am a few days off of my switch-over so I will bide my time researching...

morskie

May 19, 2011
Visit site
OP, I recently faced a similar choice. I had a TBolt for over a year that I had rooted and flashed like crazy and was running perfectly, but it developed a hardware issue where it stopped taking a full charge.

I mined the forums and while it seemed there were more bugs with the GNEX than the RAZR, I went with a GNEX for the clean Android experience.

So far I have been very happy.

ICS is legit, I like the new unified Google look and so far all the software aspects are very satisfactory. On my Bolt I mostly ran AOSP rom's and if that is your thing then ICS will make you very happy. I may not even root this one because it does everything I need it to stock and there is almost no bloatware.

Battery life is good but not great. Running 4g all day, which includes two subway trips and working in a steel and brick building with crap reception will burn the phone down to about 15% by the time I get home. If I run 3g all day gives me about 50-60% by the day's end. On heavier usage days I'll usually hit it with a 1/2 hour charge at lunch and I have a charge well until I go to bed. Also I have left it overnight without draining.

No dropped calls, no data issues.

Screen is sick, but heavy bright screen usage can eat battery pretty damn fast. This is probably my biggest issue with the phone.

Sound in the headphones is good, no screeching, sounds better and seems louder than my Thunderbolt with a Beats rom.

Only other minor issue I had was that it didn't recognize my amazon mp3's at first and it was a little annoying to move my pics and other SD stuff over, but I have rapidly gotten past that.

Maybe I'm just blown over from coming from the notoriously buggy TBolt, but the GNEX has made me very happy.

I hope you enjoy whichever phone you pick.

Undertoad

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Samsung has a defective issue with the usb port causing it to stop charging even though it says it is charging, and the only thing I can get Verizon or Samsung to do about it is send me more phones or fix it with the same part over and over again. I just talked to Verizon this morning and they're sending me my FOURTH (4, quatro) phone this weekend.

If you've used the same USB port to attempt to charge and have had a problem with three different phones, there is no doubt in my mind that this problem is on your end.

schizrade

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I just have not had any of the issues people have been complaining about. I am on 4.0.4 and it is solid.

I wonder what people are doing to and with their devices.

PhoenixMike

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I took them (as well as the others in this forum) into heavy consideration and went ahead and got the Nexus yesterday morning.

So far I have not experienced any faults mentioned on here and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. (Still on 4.0.2)
4G has been consistent with no drops at all. Only issue that I can say bothers me just a little is that my Bionic was able to perform certain tasks noticeably quicker. There is some lag on empty screens that was handled a lot better on the Bionic. Nothing that will push me away, though.
Oh, and only one random reboot within the first hour of purchasing. So far I'm loving it.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Only thing I would have said is April starts tomorrow. Newer phones start coming out soon. I would have waited just to have another choice.

Everything else...you can just read the forums and decide from there what you want, dont wanna deal with. Each phone has their pros n cons. Remember what I said before about your Bionic if it was working fine...lol.

No matter what specs or features these phones have...our own wants n needs are what we should go by. I had a RAZR, got a G Nex...and the screen and ICS wasnt enough to make me keep it. So I chose the "crappy" screen and "outdated" OS on the RAZR.

Wants n needs.

And if you get a G Nex and it works fine overall....hold on to it...

PhoenixMike

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Only thing I would have said is April starts tomorrow. Newer phones start coming out soon. I would have waited just to have another choice.

Everything else...you can just read the forums and decide from there what you want, dont wanna deal with. Each phone has their pros n cons. Remember what I said before about your Bionic if it was working fine...lol.

No matter what specs or features these phones have...our own wants n needs are what we should go by. I had a RAZR, got a G Nex...and the screen and ICS wasnt enough to make me keep it. So I chose the "crappy" screen and "outdated" OS on the RAZR.

Wants n needs.

And if you get a G Nex and it works fine overall....hold on to it...

I've got my Bionic tucked away safely at home. Will be using it from time to time when ICS updates come out.
So far I'm satisfied and hopefully it stays that way :beer:

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I've got my Bionic tucked away safely at home. Will be using it from time to time when ICS updates come out.
So far I'm satisfied and hopefully it stays that way :beer:

I've got my Bionic tucked away in my work backpack. I haven't used it since the GN was released.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I see the above sentiment a lot through out the various areas of the forum. Last I checked, there is nothing in the rules about it being a requirement to own a phone, or device in order to a) post in that section of a forum, or b) post an opinion about a device you do not own.

Last edited by a moderator:

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I see the above sentiment a lot through out the various areas of the forum. Last I checked, there is nothing in the rules about it being a requirement to own a phone, or device in order to a) post in that section of a forum, or b) post an opinion about a device you do not own.

Yep and I see nothing wrong with either of these things unless the person in question misrepresents their experience with the device.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captain Fluellen