News This case against TikTok might spur the Section 230 reform we desperately need

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think Section 230 itself is ok. The problem is social media companies want to be distributors with the protections of publishers. I.e. picking and choosing what to moderate and remove on a whim, even when it's not in good faith. Like when Facebook partnered with the US government to suppress certain posts like a distributor, but claim they are protected as a publisher.

There needs to be accountability when those companies do not follow their own rules. I have been reporting adult content on Facebook right and left that shouldn't be there and not even something I've wanted to see there, but it's never removed. Maybe I should "accidentally" let one of kids see it and sue them for providing such content to minors?

Now to the case at hand with the 10yo girl trying that challenge, that is an age where it's still the parents' primary responsibility to supervise what she watches. It's no secret that Tik Tok is full of garbage, and I question why she was allowed to watch it in the first place. It's a tragedy that it happened, but that doesn't mean TT should automatically be the bad guy here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antop90