This is not normal, Huh?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
There's a lot of chat about the latest PRI (1.90_003) causing folks to experience extremely bad battery drain regardless of a custom kernal or whatnot. Some folks have downgraded their PRI to the previous 1.77 and have seen much better results.

Netarchy posted a big warning on his kernel post:

[GPL][Kernel]netarchy-toastmod, Stable: 4.1.9.1 Beta: 4.3.1 - xda-developers

Didn't realize that.... I unrooted two weeks ago.. Took the phone to Sprint and had to wait 4 days to get my replacement/warranty EVO back so I have not been paying much attention lately....

But I can say I have gotten great battery life out of this replacement EVO while still 100% stock.... I just don't like the sound coming out of the ear piece vs my original EVO :(

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Well actually I dont have the battery issue. My battery is pretty good. However my dad does have battery issue and my friend but they do not have camera issue... Iono. I hope somehow sprint finds out about this and maybe pushes a update? Maybe the last update is what caused this?

JoshUng

May 7, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me around the end of July or August, sometime in the summer. I was at a different forum then, and I got two suggestions on how to correct it, I did them both, sort of. I think it worked, but on the downside, since I did bother together, I'm not sure which one was it.

First one isn't really a fix, but a possible cause to the problem. Its possible the two problems are related. When this was happening to me, my phone was running hot (to the point where it wouldn't charge until it cooled down). Now, my battery wasn't draining like yours is, but I know sometimes the battery may drain because of the coding in an app, making the app use too much power and drains the battery. When this happens, I think the phone gets hot. Is your phone hot? It was suggested to me that the heat to the phone may distort the camera images. If you haven't, you can download Watchdog (there is a free version), which can monitor apps to see if any are running out of whack. If you can isolate the app, remove it, hopefully that would solve your problem.

The other suggestion was to download a camera app. I used Camera 360, the free version. When I used it, no distorted images, of course, my phone wasn't running hot, so I'm not sure if I had already fixed it. Its worth a shot anyway.

Unfortunately, I can't say for sure which is the fix, and if I fixed it at all, or if the problem just sort of worked itself out. Overall, it only happened to me for a couple days, and once it went away, it hasn't come back yet, at least 4-5 months later. Hope it helps.

I'm on harware 003.

Ginbill

Oct 30, 2009
ohhjohn.tumblr.com
My phone has come up with the camera like that. This sounds bad but I knock it against my leg (still gently) and it'll switch back to normal. I guess something inside isn't right after I dropped it one time too many.

kuhawksr1

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I've had this kind of behavior but in the camcorder mode and ONLY since the last EVO update. Phone never rooted, running hardware v002. When filming my daughters basketball game (grade school gym) I noticed that the image would focus, purple haze would 'grow' around images and then reset to normal then the purple haze would grow again then go away, yada, yada, yada. Seemed related to focus and how the lens was dealing with/processing light. I pressed the record button and captured the video while this was happening. During playback, the camcorder had captured the repetitive purple hazing. Seems like the hazing started around the brightest objects in view.

I attempted to adjust settings to overcome and thought I had improved quality by adjusting brightness to -1. Tried a few more times and problem reoccurred. I reset brightness to 0 and then took Resolution to WVGA (800x480) from 720P (1280x720). That eliminated the purple hazing for me. I can recreate the issue by moving resolution to 720P and eliminate it by moving resolution to WVGA. There is a problem with my EVO capturing video with resolution set at 720P.

I've NOT had any problems with picture quality (I'm set at 8M resolution (3264x1952)). Videos recorded at 720P before the last update were/are just fine. Videos since, not so good. Hoping for a fix soon ... as of now, HD video recording is not working.

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
I haven't had this issue in almost a month with my Evo, but then, I replaced the original battery with the Seido extended battery, so battery life definitely isn't a problem.

troyanthony

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Battery Life

I have had no issues with my battery life ever since I bought two extra batteries and a battery wall charger on Ebay for $10.00. I always have an extra battery charged up and ready to pop in my phone. Between extra batteries, a phone charger and a car charger I have had no issues with my EVO......im lovin' it

keishou

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I haven't read through all the posts on this thread and it may have been said, but I know exactly what the root cause of the camera issue. If it specifically happens with the main camera, it is due to the camera being loose on the PCB. Quick fix is to careful apply slight pressure over the camera lens to re-align and re-seat the camera module. Best way is to remove the back housing and truly re-seat the camera module making sure it "clicks" back in place.

The majority of the phones I've seen at work with this issue, the housing is pretty banged up... customer's just tossing their Evos onto a desk or whatever. But re-seating the camera always resolves the issue.

bacidath

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
funny i was coming here to search for camera issue and there it is on the front page... mine is giving me purple "ghosts" with the camcorder ...

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
batt life with stock battery wasnt great with me, but it also wasnt terrible either. I consider myself a very heavy user (use 4G frequently) and i around 5-6hours of very heavy use, 4G included, on stock. I bought the Seido 3500mAh battery and with same very heavy usage I get more then 16hours worth. I actually have yet to kill it within a full day. After 16 hours, its normally around 45-55% remaining.

As for the camera issue....never experienced it. Nor has my wife with her EVO. Both are hardware revision 003, never rooted, latest update.

ironmangringo

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
the way the camera is made for the evo, the camera slides into a sleeve, more than likely the camera has come up out of this sleeve connection slightly, causing this issue. put your thumb over the camera lens and apply some pressure it should push the camera back into the sleeve and fix the issue.

Reactions: kuhawksr1

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
I haven't read through all the posts on this thread and it may have been said, but I know exactly what the root cause of the camera issue. If it specifically happens with the main camera, it is due to the camera being loose on the PCB. Quick fix is to careful apply slight pressure over the camera lens to re-align and re-seat the camera module. Best way is to remove the back housing and truly re-seat the camera module making sure it "clicks" back in place.

The majority of the phones I've seen at work with this issue, the housing is pretty banged up... customer's just tossing their Evos onto a desk or whatever. But re-seating the camera always resolves the issue.

Good thing I got the Seido Rugged case then. No tossing the phone about, either.

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
batt life with stock battery wasnt great with me, but it also wasnt terrible either. I consider myself a very heavy user (use 4G frequently) and i around 5-6hours of very heavy use, 4G included, on stock. I bought the Seido 3500mAh battery and with same very heavy usage I get more then 16hours worth. I actually have yet to kill it within a full day. After 16 hours, its normally around 45-55% remaining.

As for the camera issue....never experienced it. Nor has my wife with her EVO. Both are hardware revision 003, never rooted, latest update.

Same here. Have yet to kill the 3500 battery in a full day of heavy use. Maybe it helps that my hardware version is 0004

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I have the stock 1500mah battery, and after 18 hours of usage with camera, video, gaming, gmail sync, and work EAS sync, I'm still at 50%.

It might help that I'm using a community ROM, setCPU, and other tweaks. However, my battery is downright awesome...

I have not seem the camera issues stated by the OP. Any luck in tracking down this issue cause by reporting it to HTC/Sprint?