This Phone Used to be Great

Prof Pink

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I loved this phone when I first got it. I'm still convinced that the problems people complained about most were overblown. Everything worked smoothly and quickly, and the camera is much better than it's been given credit for.

But the phone has gotten worse with every update. The biggest issue after 5.0 was the home screen lag, but that's also when I started having problems with the battery going from 15% to 12% to completely dead.

5.1 fixed the home screen lag, but has otherwise turned my phone into a buggy mess. WiFi won't reliably stay connected, regardless of how often I reboot my router, "forget" and reconnect to the network, etc. Sleep/downtime stopped playing nicely with the sleep tracking app I use. (Admittedly, I don't know how much of that is Google's or Motorola's fault.) And the phone will still go from a battery reading of 12% to completely dead.

But the worst thing is that both "OK Google" and Moto Voice just activate at random now. This seemed to start with the upgrade to 5.1, but it's been getting progressively worse. Sometimes it happens when I'm talking, sometimes the car radio sets it off, and sometimes random background noise seems to trigger one of them. Today Moto Voice appears to have actually dialed a contact while I was driving in the car with my wife. I thought I heard the phone say something, felt it vibrating in my pocket, and was surprised to see (what I thought was) an incoming call from this person. When I looked at the call log, it was clear my phone had called him.

I've cleared the cache partition several times since the last upgrade, and I'll do it again today. I also did a factory reset in an attempt to fix the sleep and WiFi issues. Nothing I've done so far (other than tell Moto Assist not to silence my phone in "sleep" mode) has slowed this phone's downward spiral.

At this point, I'm not sure what to do with this phone. It's becoming a hassle to deal with.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey at least it didn't dial a girlfriend. LOl
Just kidding man, but I am actually having some of the same problems. Mine keeps making me enter passwords for WiFi at work and home. The battery has went from decent to atrocious. I also had the phone opening up with moto voice at random. I redid the phrase and that seemed to help a lot. I'm actually due for an upgrade, and was going to wait for a while, but I think I might go for a new phone soon.

buggyman

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Completely agree and am in the same boat. Have owned both moto x phones and my phone is so damn buggy since 5.1 update I don't think I will buy another. Plus the new ones are too damn big. I basically have every moto feature turned off due to bugs. Also I can't even listen to any music in play or listen to streaming apps cause once I put the phone in my pocket Google voice search kicks in and apps crash. I have done everything except a complete reset and just don't want to do that cause if I do it will be to buy another phone. Came from the nexus and think I may go back if the new nexus is not too damn big. Phones over 5.0-5.5 screens are past what I will carry so have to wait and see. But this phone is buggy as hell.

Posted via the Android Central App

Prof Pink

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I talked to Motorola and they're replacing my phone. They seem to think that problems that survive a factory reset are hardware related, and they'll stand behind the hardware.

I'll give an update to let you know if they're right in my case.

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
This is surprising, which carrier model do you all have? I wonder if the different carrier models get different 5.1 builds, I'm not sure. Perhaps it's something specific to your carrier model?

I have the VZW model. Build Number LPE23.32-25-3. I did have the homescreen problem on 5.0, as well as some Wifi/Bluetooth bugs, but once we were updated to 5.1, all of my issues went away. Actually, other than the occasional app crash, and my issues with VZW in my area, this phone has been flawless.

@ProfPink, What was the issue with sleep/downtime and the sleep tracking app? I previously used a sleep tracking app/alarm clock (Sleep Time Smart Alarm Clock by Azumio, would wake you when you weren't in deep sleep, worked awesome on my Galaxy Nexus). When I upgraded to the Moto X 2013, I noticed that my phone would overheat and the battery would die (even when plugged in) when I used that alarm clock app. When I tried that app with my Moto X 2014, the same thing happened (on 5.0, haven't tried since the 5.1 update), so perhaps something about Moto's software does not work with that specific app.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
It is surprising. I have the complete opposite experience with 5.1. It breathed new life into my Moto X and persuaded me to keep the phone for another year. I'm sure the 2014 will also get Android M in the near future.

Chris Coy1

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
Same issue with the wifi.. Wouldn't stay connected of connect at all.. If I restarted my phone it would work for a few minutes.. I ended up doing a factory reset today and so far it's staying connected... But of course I lost everything on my phone..

On2Vegas

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Have owned both moto x phones and my phone is so damn buggy since 5.1 update I don't think I will buy another. Plus the new ones are too damn big.

I understand the size complaint, but Lollipop was a buggy mess across many phones, not just the X.

It is surprising. I have the complete opposite experience with 5.1. It breathed new life into my Moto X and persuaded me to keep the phone for another year. I'm sure the 2014 will also get Android M in the near future.

I had a mixed bag. The update actually fixed my Wifi issue at work, but my battery seemed to take a slight hit and I also get the random OK Google activation others have mentioned. Lollipop just wasn't ready for primetime, in my opinion.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SCaneCa