Thoughts on the Note 8 from a former Note 7 user

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
First of all, let me say that my interest in this phone wasn't very high. I wasn't in the market for a new phone and I made sure to not get caught up in all the rumors. Not helping was the fact that my laptop began to have issues and I got a replacement one (which is so much more powerful but that's for another thread).

As such, I didn't stick around to watch the Unpacked event.

When my phone notified me that MrMobile uploaded his Note 8 impressions video, I hurried over to AC (after finishing my race in Forza) and checked out the first impressions.

And honestly, I like it. I really like it.

I might be biased because I used to have a Note 7 at launch and had to reluctantly let it go due to the recall. While my current phone is a Moto Z, the Note 7 left a void that only its successor could fill.

So far, the Note 8 could do just that. Design-wise, it's not overly different from the Note 7, save for a taller display that allows for slimmer forehead and chin bezels and a dual camera system that has a standard camera (presumably featuring the same 1/2.6" IMX333 sensor from the S8) and a secondary camera with a longer focal length which features an f/2.4 aperture and OIS (which is a much bigger deal with longer focal lengths because any movement with a longer focal length is magnified).

The specs are your typical flagship and I can't help but feel that the Note 8 kinda feels like a reborn Note 7 with a new look and new guts. My only concern right now is the battery. Not the capacity as we have a pretty good idea of how it'll last as phones like the S8+ and OnePlus 5 achieve great endurance even with a measly powerpack for their respective size, but rather how it'll age. If it's anything like the S8, it should maintain its capacity for longer.

Overall, I really like it, but it all has to come down to the price. The Note 8 is close to $1000, which is stupid expensive for a smartphone, although monthly payments will ease that blow. I don't think any phone is worth $1000, but the Note 8 has a bit of sentimental value to me given my misfortune (along with others) with its predecessor.

I would very much want one, but I have no plans to buy one as of right now, as I've already spent mega on a laptop and I only got my phone last year. So I don't see the need to spend even more on a phone yet. But next year, we will see.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I definitely wouldn't look at it as an "upgrade" over many of the other flagships. Is it just as good or maybe even a better device than some of them? Ok. But it's not night and day better than anything and there's a good reason for that. Nothing is. If you're at the time it makes sense to upgrade and this is the best thing for what you want, IMO do it. In your situation, I would support waiting to see the rest of the things this year or maybe even waiting until next year when there's just a little bit more differentiation between what you're using and what's available. Find a device that sings to you.

Russel Shouse

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
i loved the note7, both of them lol.. been using an s8plus.
i have really missed my spen, more than i thought i would.

the note7 was such a great phone, even tho i could still care less about the curved screen. it had battery life for all day, and was just an awesome phone (to me).

i want the note 8, and I'm sure ill get it in black. having the s8plus since release day i am now used to the fingerprint scanner and the loss of the standard home button, so it isn't going to feel all that different.

I'm just one of people who bought into the note line early on and have kept coming back.
my least fav note was the 5, because of battery and no sdcard. i hope the 8 stands up like the s8plus has.

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I still miss the Note 7. I had two, not for long but I have missed it ever since. My laptop sucks, but it's working, and I just paid off the Pixel XL which I haven't liked at all.So yeah, going to get the Note 8. It is expensive but I can handle the monthly payments and I am really looking forward to testing that camera set up with my two grandchildren. I really missed the Spen and the AOD. Going to go watch all the new YouTube videos now.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
All valid points.

The 7 was my first Note and I didn't have it long enough to appreciate all that it could do, so I'm really looking forward to really getting to know the 8 and of course, all the fun I'm going to have with it :).

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I have always had a Note From the very 1st generation, I loved the big screen and the s-pen. I had the Note 7 (2 actually and they were great, I hated to give them up) I got a Note 5 to hold me over, it's a good device and has good staying power considering it's age. That's a well designed device. (originally bypassed the 5 because it lacked the Micro sd slot) I got to spend some time with a Note 8 at my local BB and really like it. It reminds me of what an awesome device the Note 7 really was. I watched the Note 8 reveal live. I pre-ordered the following morning. The rest is history. My Note 8 arrival should be soon.... :)

Cheers,
BR